1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

6 Days of work, and lovin every minute.

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by jasonb, Jun 7, 2011.

1. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

I am on vacation right now but a few have been asking what I have been working on, so I decided to take a camera and get some pics of my weeks work. I rarely ever take pics so this was pretty cool to see what I got done in just under 55 hours. I was sick Monday and Tuesday so work started Wednesday with a Lifesize Spanish goat and that is the only one that I did not get a pic of but on Thursday It was a lifesize Bull Elk.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Friday I finished up sewwing and grooming this Westren Tur.
    [​IMG]

On Friday also I started working on a Grizzly bear and finished it up on Saturday(only worked 3 hours cause my birthday)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And on Sunday I mounted up a coyote that I cannot find the pic for.

Monday I was finishing some of the mounts that were done within the last 2 weeks and dry enough to finish and they go as follows

Spanish Goat
    [​IMG]

Sind Ibex
    [​IMG]

Arawpaaway Sheep(grooming nightmare) (mounted by me)
    [​IMG]

Chinese Blue Sheep (mounted by me)
    [​IMG]

And a cute lil baby Tahr (mounted by me)
    [​IMG]

2. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

Wow that's a ton of work in one week.
    Ralph

3. Nyati

Nyati I love tahr huntin

I feel so lazy.

4. Brian

Brian Active Member

is the grizz still soft. the eyes are off!!! your a busy man for sure. you get to work on some cool stuff too!!!

5. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Way to go Jason, nice work, but please raise the earbutts on that Elk before it dries.

6. That Arawpaaway sheep looks like a giant Brillo pad!

Bruce

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

OK, what the hell. May as well be me.

Jason, are you telling me that YOU did ALL those animals BY YOURSELF in 55 hours??? Now I would never call anyone a liar without some extreme prevocation, but I have to wonder if there's not a bit of prevarication in your claim here. That lifesized elk would take anyone a day and a half at best. The bear? The same. That wooly booger sheep, hell it would take you a day just to comb it out. So I guess you can say I'm a skeptic. In fact, I just don't dammit believe it.

8. Daniel M.

Daniel M. Tongo, the best dog in the world. (Saarloos)

Ohio
    Mr. George,

Not to pick sides, but I think he is talking about only the Spanish goat, elk, tur, bear, and coyote.... the others are from earlier, he said that he just did the finish work on them.

Very cool animals too by the way, I like the different ibex and sheep, they are all on my hunting wish list, lol!

9. jasonb

George, Daniel hit the nail square on the head, and Daniel can testify as to what we both have learned by working with Ray Hatfield and it almost never takes more than a day to sew up a lifesize mammal, yes there was 1 or 2 long days but still most of the animals are closed up in a day. I am not saying in any way that I altered these forms and prepped the hides in the same week, we have a guy that tries to keep a step or 2 ahead of us so that we can keep production up, that is how we make money.

This is a great shop and I am working with some great people, so this is all fun to me.

10. Museum Man

Museum Man Well-Known Member

love the pot belly on the griz..

11. George

Well, if that's your story, you should stick to it. I'm not from Missouri but I'd still have to be shown.

Museum man, I can't say that I've ever seen a grizzly with that type posture. It looks more like a gorilla than a griz that tends to carry all its weight on it's butt. Having said that, it may be going in a diorama where it's making some awkward movement to achieve that pose, however.

12. jasonb

All of these mounts have been preplanned for a museum.

13. NICKYG

NICKYG "IS IT ALIVE, OR WAS IT MOUNTED BY GLORIOSO?"

Dang Homey!!! You have been busier than a 1 legged man in an ass kickin contest!!!! lol BEAUTIFUL WORK MAN!!! :)
    NICK

14. JSeiler

JSeiler Active Member

My goodness people grow the hell up, can't we just all get along :/ Nice work Jason, how is your buddy doing?. George I personally watched Harris prep and mount 7 deer heads in less then a day and my personal best is 3 in one night.

15. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

What do 7 deer heads have to do with 8 lifesizes in 55 hrs?

16. George

LOL Thank you Cole. Jason I've worked with Dennis Harris and watched basically as he did a lifesize whitetail deer from start to finish and it still took us (It was a "hands on" seminar with about a dozen folks "helping. Michael P even had the job of sewing up the ass.) almost 22 hours. I'm sorry I'm just skeptical. Jason B says he mounted an elk, a tur, a bear, a Spanish goat and a coyote in basically twice that time. Jason B might be much better than I think he is but I still don't think he's Dennis Harris.

17. jasonb

George please take your meds.....I never said anything about anyone so just cool your jets ol man. I give all of the credit for my technique and skill mostly to Ray Hatfield, then there are many others that have shaped me as a taxidermist over the last 25 years, but I would be honest in saying that most of my education came in about the last 4 years.

18. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I think Jason did all of those, im sure in that big shop they also have elves. Elves make us all happy :)

19. NICKYG

NICKYG "IS IT ALIVE, OR WAS IT MOUNTED BY GLORIOSO?"

Thats the strangest lookin Block of Cheese I have ever seen!!! lmao ;D

20. jasonb

Mike remember i am a short fat elf.LMAO