1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Preserving velvet options

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Ron B, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    I have a small set of axis antlers that the tips are still very mushy! I usually just inject them but have never done any quite this soft! I was going to just have them freez dried but was wondering if anyone has any other options, like injecting with fantasticast or something! Again very small set about 15 inches wide!

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Ron, in my experience, nothing ever works on them when the tips are soft. They are actually spongy and to inject anything into them still risks not getting every spot. If the tips are hard, I'll inject and spray them down with Touchstone's 4in1 or even StopRot, but if they're soft, it's off to the freeze drier or they stay in my chest freezer unwrapped for a 8 -10 months.

3. Ron B

Ron B Life Sucks.....Then comes the death roll!!!!

Alabama
    George......I was actually thinking along those lines. I have a walk in that blows 24-7! Will turn a steak into a brick in weeks if exposed! Thought about injecting and preserving the antlers then hanging on a string right in front of blower! I know if I was going to "eat" those antlers they sure as heck would dry out quick! :-\