1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

'Air' Mt. Lion and Wolf

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Terrys Artistic Taxidermy, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Terrys Artistic Taxidermy

Terrys Artistic Taxidermy Fishing in Chernoble

Around 1999 I did this piece. The image I was trying to create was a lion jumping out of a tree, on to a wolf, who, at the last second, jumps up and twists around to face the attacker.The lion was somebody's pet and was declawed ( I made the artificial ones out of sculpt-all). I casted each leg, body and head and put the foam parts together.
    Coming out of the lion's attachment paw was a 1/2 inch square steel rod, about 4 inches long which was welded to a round rod that went through the leg and through the body. I bought the wolf manniken and substantially altered it and had a 5/8 inch rod go up the leg (touching the ground), through the body and welded to a square, 1/2 inch steel tube, at a 90 degree angle that came to the edge of the neck's foam. The lion was easy to attach to the wolf's neck.
    What do you folk think? Comments are welcome.
    Terry

Attached Files:

2. Terrys Artistic Taxidermy

Another view.

Attached Files:

3. Terrys Artistic Taxidermy

Another.

Attached Files:

4. Terrys Artistic Taxidermy

Another.

Attached Files:

5. rbear

rbear Well-Known Member

I like it Terry. I appreciate a mount with a story to it. It takes allot of thought to create an action mount such as this and you pulled it off nicely.
    Ralph

6. Great mount and story about it.

7. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

gee anotyher guy copying someones "signature" LOL~~JUST KIDDING BWAHHAAA! ;D

Nice Job on the "air" Terry! ;)

8. artwildcreate

artwildcreate Don't look at me.....

Wolf has the wrong backleg down.. It stiffens him, and makes the piece not work for me.. You put that left backleg down on the wolf, and have him "wheeling' around on it, then attach the cat by it's left paw and give him a lil more twist... Then you have a piece that would really flow..

9. FeatherHorn

FeatherHorn New Member

looks like the stitching seem is showing going down the back of the lion as well

10. Terrys Artistic Taxidermy

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. The lion (and 2 siblings) was some body's pet in Minnesota. They caught a feline herpes disease and died in one day. Lucky for me, my friend's brother owned those cats and he sent the carcasses to me. It was in the summer and the fur was short and I couldn't hide the seam. Now I know about the 'screen' technique.
    As for the mount's positioning, I can see a case for either way.
    Terry

11. Daniel M.

Daniel M. Tongo, the best dog in the world. (Saarloos)

Ohio
    That's a cool mount, and it looks quite sturdy as well. I like the whole concept of the mount very much :)

12. Curt

Curt Family Life member of the NTA

I love it. Not that it matters, I'm just sayin.

13. redog76

redog76 New Member

a lotta work. it looks cool.

14. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I like it alot!

15. Terrys Artistic Taxidermy

Thanks guys.

16. Nyati

Nyati I love tahr huntin

I agree with Micheal Butlers comments, but in saying that it is the most realistic "air" mounts I've seen on the forum for some time. I really like the left front leg on the lion, he's not patting the wolf but gunna get him

17. huntin_justin

huntin_justin Active Member

I like it alot, very cool.

18. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Very nice piece. A tremendous amount of effort went into that. Thanks for posting.

19. Looks like someone's gonna give Dennis some competition!!!!