1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

egg tanning

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by hunterboy, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

That would depend, George. If I wanted to preserve them for long-term storage then I would agree that salt might be the best way in some cases. It has its uses after all, and there are limits to how many ostrich skins I want to store in the freezer. (A limit of zero, in fact.)
    Is long term preservation of not-yet-mounted specimens a valid aspect of taxidermy?
    For the preservation of skin which is part of a mounted bird, I prefer borax or, for the big ones, one of the many accepted tanning processes. That should be no surprise to anybody, but I think that ALL knowledge is worth saving and if someone wants to learn how to preserve and mount birds using something like, say, tobacco juice, then why should I discourage them?

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Tobacco juice - eggs- same thing to us mammal skin mounters. So we agree then Nancy. LOL

3. FurNFeathers

FurNFeathers New Member

CA
    Tucker you math isn't much better than your assumption that I'm "stuck in my ways".

Hey George.... You math...his math may be better than your English since you even had spell check to help you.

4. George

LOL You'd better look at those words and see which one is misspelled first. Mis-typing won't be picked up by the Spell Check if the word is still correct.

5. mfierce

mfierce New Member

I totally agree what you have written here. ^^ It is definitely all about the context. I do not think that there are stupid questions here. Everyone asks stupid questions sometimes and I am of the opinion that this is something positive.
    I personally love flower preservation because I often order flowers and they are always so beautiful that I wish to keep them forever.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

Fur dressing, or tanning? Some think they tan with yoke, smoke and brain fat,, that is called fur dressing, and not a tan at all. Is Jergens or Coppertone in a tube a tan, when the Sun will do a better job?

7. spy7575

spy7575 New Member

See even a (stupid question) ends with an interesting discussion.

8. George

People who've never been asked stupid questions simply aren't smart enough to recognize the fact.

9. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

why use eggs...just use a jar of mayonnaise..it has the yolks and oil...a tanning cream if you will LOL

10. Newbie85

Newbie85 New Member

What a disappointment! :( As a novice I thought I had discovered a sight from which to learn the best tanning fur methods from those who have continued to perfect their art. However, it appears that I have stumbled into a den of know-it-all elites who have no intentions of publishing their mistakes or giving help to anybody outside their private “Taxidermy Club”.

11. kikkertinz

kikkertinz Glass half full

dont let the door hit ya in the ass on the way out then ya tard

12. msbraintan

msbraintan New Member

George R. and I both know where you can go if you want some smoke blown up YOUR a$$, don't we George?? LOL

13. Newton. There are plenty of reliable products sold from the suppliers list to tan skins. Eggs are NOT used for TAXIDERMY TANNING! This IS a TAXIDERMY WEBSITE! DUH!

14. George

DAMN! I've created monsters!!!! LMAO

Newton you have one post and you figured that out all by yourself? Do you have any idea how many more times you're going to have to post before the rest of our "family" here forgets you're a whiney puss?

15. LMAO George! Send me your phone number, we need to talk! :-D

16. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

I think someone felt the left foot of fellowship,,

17. Newbie85

Newbie85 New Member

The “Taxi Drivers” have spoken and proved my point. Hunterboy asked a righteous elementary question. Instead of ignoring the question, a no-it-all got his panties in a wade and asserted himself as the Forum Guardian. His arrogant criticism of Hunterboy for asking the question was unnecessary, if not unprofessional. However, one has to be professional to become unprofessional. Even though answers to Hunterboys question were forthcoming, the overshadowing implication in this thread is, “ONLY TAXIDERMIST ALLOWED”. If the truth offends you, then by all means, avoid it. , or ignore it.

There are black sheep in every FAMILY and pickled brains on every forum but life goes on. I’m not looking for a family; I’m looking for courteous people who are willing to communicate knowledge and life experiences. I plan to continue researching the forum archives for knowledge and ignore you petty elite Taxidermy purest who have your wagons circled to defend the forum. I’ve been around the block a time or two and seen the varmint. I know how to safely open and close doors without hitting my anatomy. I’m not going anywhere. Get in your dirty digs and get over it!

18. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

It is all in the archive, everything ever talked about tanning, and taxidermy has been beaten to death here and recorded over and over a plethora of times already, you will find it in the search box.

19. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Here ya go! ;)

[​IMG]

20. msbraintan

msbraintan New Member

I dressed this work of art with eggs.. I also abraded ONLY the flesh side of the skin.. whole lot more trouble.. trust me on that. I tanned the leather with smoke.
    [​IMG]
    I don't think many here have done this before. Maybe I should try some mayo! Might be cheaper than eggs at the salvage food store! save the eggs for pie!
    [​IMG]
    I dressed this beaver skin with eggs too.. came out super soft, I cut it up into lace and made a scarf!
    [​IMG]
    Oh yeah, I also added some of that beaver skin to some booties, too..
    [​IMG]
    It was a work of art dressing skins with eggs alright.
    [​IMG]
    Oh I've been labeled a heretic alright.. probably NO ONE has p'd off the brain tan GOD's like I have.. LOL
    [​IMG]
    I've tanned a bunch of skins WITH fur using eggs brains and smoke.. but this is hobby tanning at it's finest.. NOT taxidermy tanning.. THERE IS A DIFFERENCE.