1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

egg tanning

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by hunterboy, Jun 9, 2011.

1. msbraintan

msbraintan New Member

btw.. I used eggs or brains but always with SMOKE and these are just wall hangers and hobby crafting. JFYI pas.. I also employed the use of a power washer and turbo nozzle and also a Dakota Pro.. Just cause I tan for a hobby doesn't necessarily mean I'm fooling around. My next tanning agent will be a synthetic one! Why not?? because I can!

2. trky

trky New Member

WOW what good first impressions we make on newcomers!

3. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

It seems that people who come on here and ask questions with out doing any research tend to end up being whiney pusses. Thank fully not all of them. :)

4. bearrug48

bearrug48 Active Member

I think I will come up with a Melaluca tan......................Now thats evolving....................LOL

5. James Ledbetter

James Ledbetter New Member

Hey george hey texASS YOU TWO SUCCK
    I CAME TO LEARN Not
    SEE YOU 2 jerk on each other's eGOS
    So unless u are gonna add something usefull related to blog topic shut the **** up taxi not a taxi who ****ing cares it's about the info not the George n texAss jerk off ego stroking club

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

James, I apologize. I suffer fools badly and this generation of whiney, candy asses wear thin. You "keyboard cowboys" (not my term) looking for instant gratification on a search engine are tiresome. Many of us who've been here remember a young woman who did exactly what you schmucks did avfew years back. She was wanting to know the best recipe of chemicals she could PUT ON HER SKIN FOR A PERFECT TAN. When we told her it was a TAXIDERMY site, instead of admitting her stupidity, she acted like you snots.

The actual-initial question was answered completely and respectfully in the very first reply. But then your "Black Lives Matter" mentality kicked in and you tell US how YOU want to be treated. Excuse me???? If you'd been looking for paper 'clips" and an M2 Garand site came up, would you expect them to cater to YOUR interpretation of what a "clip" is? Probably! Thanks to your dumbasses, if I were to type 'egg tan" on my browser right now, the first listing is the Taxidermy Net. If you were capable of research you'd see that we tell people that CHROME TANS are not a good choice for TAXIDERMY TANNING either. After all, it IS the "Taxidermy Net."

7. George you missed the biggest dumb ass mistake of all. James Ledbetter responded to a thread that was last responded to in

Re: egg tanning
    « Reply #43 on: February 29, 2012, 08:53:12 PM »

8. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Well at least you can't lambaste him for not digging into the archives...

9. krank

krank New Member

Is it safe to reply on this thread yet?
    I was curious about egg yolks. I brain tan a little and brains(don't laugh) are hard to come by these days. Used to find them in super markets but the mad cow scare has them unavailable.

10. George

Might check your local taxidermist. Offer him/her some cash. Every deer that d gets capped has usable brains that end up in the trash otherwise.

11. cyclone

Peanut oil and murphy's oil soap will work ...

12. davidw

davidw New Member

Look the guy comes on here looking for answers on tanning
    so what if it is an out dated system of tanning
    my grand PA mounted two very large bucks for our part of the country in 1963 and 69 and i wish i could remember the stuff he used just so i could do it the way he did
    it is good to keep the old ways alive so they are not forgotten

13. Tanglewood Taxidermy

It seems to me that if he came on here looking for answers he got quit a few of them.

14. George

David, he certainly DID get good answers on the very first page of his posting. I mounted a deer in the early 60's using Griffin's liquid shoe polish, but I damned sure wouldn't pass that method along in a TAXIDERMY forum

15. krank

krank New Member

If you prepare the hide and follow through with breaking then you can use all kinds of stuff. I have old recipes calling for lye soap and kerosene and kinds of household items. You can do that if you understand the science of tanning.
    I grow weary of folks expecting to throw a hide in a bucket and pull it out looking like a store bought product.
    People ask me how to tan and I tell them to get a library book and ruin a few hides figuring it out. That's what I did.....
    I have helped people tan hides on the condition that they are present through the process and share the labor involved. Gives them an appreciation of what goes into making leather or preserving a fur.

16. cyclone

Great, another alchemist... ::)

17. clschake

clschake New Member

And then there are folks like me that get a brain fart~
    Want to use hide for Taxidermy (covering the antler attachments instead of using those store purchased plastic items).
    And....
    to make slippers.
    So the one IS related to taxidermy,,, the other NOT.
    Received the hides the day inquired on, and no time to look up and read and find items, because we've been on here a little but enough to know we need to deal with the hides NOW!
    And need advise as to how to deal with them until we can properly do the research, other than just shoving them into the freezer.

That said.... If any are able and willing to quickly let me know how I should deal with these hides, until I can do the research, and maybe guide me to the correct places to do it... I sure would appreciate it!
    Thanks!!

18. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Why not do your research BEFORE you receive the hides, not after? Flesh and salt them or put them in garbage bags and put them in the freezer.

19. krank

krank New Member

I believe that first and foremost is thoroughly fleshing the hides. That's puts you way ahead. With that done then you could stretch and nail to plywood and salt them down.(I think a little alum helps lock the hair follicles) Last a long time in that state.
    Deep freezer are just too easy. Throw the whole hide in unfleshed and worry about it next summer.

20. cyclone

Most taxidermists would ship them out and have them tanned hair off... For those that insist in doing in shop, well, here you go.

http://www.braintan.com/intro/recommended.html

Check out the book and the forum.

and if we're luckey we will hear from MSbraintan.