1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

egg tanning

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by hunterboy, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Chigger81

Chigger81 New Member

And your point being what? I didnt know there were expirations on discussions as ive recently found this site an figured i could pick up a few tips an pointers from fellow outdoorsman guess to many dicks not enough professionals or common folk that willing to offer constructive advice

2. Tanglewood Taxidermy

Tanglewood Taxidermy Well-Known Member

I guess it seems ok to, on your first post, call out posters and then on the second post do it again. I think this site has way too many unprofessional, uncommon dicks for your taste. Just saying.

George likes this.

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Constructive advice. Go back and really read your first post. Critical and insulting to say the least. Then go back and read ALL the replies. Maybe it will sink in why the question was treated as it was, right or wrong.. Maybe you will also see links that point to the answer that was given. Continue to bite the hand that feeds you and you will soon find you are not worth being offered any help at all in the future if needed.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    ARUsher and Keith like this.
  4. 13 point

13 point Well-Known Member

This damn thread is 10 years old , up and thru 2016 . Not sure I see any points and why anyone would revisit it . To include busting on anyone. LET IT GO

ARUsher, George, Mandi and 1 other person like this.
  5. Dave York

Dave York Well-Known Member

6. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

7. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Old threads on here are frequently revisited for the info they contain. No harm in asking questions on the processes if needed. Some of the best threads on here regarding working with antlers (staining, velvet) and other tips and tricks go all the way back to 2006. The information is still valid and useful regardless of how old it is. There is even more info in the archives before that. They were saved but they are not really searchable so you have to really dig through those.

8. Good morning Sea Wolf, George, and others that are still frequenting here.

I have an actual question, but I don’t wish to be bashed or belittled for asking it. (Or trolled, as it seems this thread has picked up quite a few of those..)

I’m somewhat new to taxidermy. I saw the post where (I believe it was George) said that egg tanning isn’t tanning at all. That it just makes fur’s soft and such. I’ve done the egg method with rabbit furs, and then finished them off with either mink oil or neatsfoot oil. They all look and feel really good, but I’d like to know if I’m doing them wrong..?

Especially because I have a fox I found, and she’s waiting to be done, but I don’t want to ruin her, and want to make sure I do it the right way, so she comes out as best as she can. That, and I have a deer from last February (some of you may remember, I did him with eggs and he turned out pretty good, but if possible I would like to do some work on him).

I’m posting this to ask for help from you guys, the experts. I want to learn, and my brain is a sponge for any and everything you are willing to share with me. Please help me?