1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Menhaden oil

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by hounddoggy, Jun 10, 2011.

1. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

Having spent half of my life along the nc coast fishing has always been a part of my life. I know that menhaden oils are used for alot of things. I was wondering if it does or could have any applications in tanning.Just wondering.

2. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Most types of "natural" animal oils, have to be chemically stabilized, to prevent them from causing harm to the collegen in the skin.

The old kikking greases used in kikkers in tannerys, were very high in animal fats, and are a perfect example of what I am talking about. Bio-cides were always added to kikking grease, to prevent mold, and bacteria. from attacking the skin. Skins can fall apart from unstable oil, almost as fast as a skin having acid rot.

Knowing what I know now, without some research, I wouldnt trust the bi-products of the oil, when it starts breaking down. Besides the smell, I wouldnt mess with it.

3. will add it is an awesome oil to add to your chum slick

4. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

Could you imagine the smell of a mount that was tanned with menhaden oils? Especially if the oil wasnt altered? ewwwww. Now doubt Toxic! Its good for chum and bait for sure.

Now that I feel i have a good handle on tanning (80 something capes this year) I seem to be attreacted into learning more. I wonder what all will tan a cape and what properties make better tans. Better in a way thats relative to taxidermy ofcourse. Not looking to come up with a product just curious.

What I dont get is how these smaller companies seem to be able to produce (in my opinion) superior tans to the big suppliers. I know some have serious tanning experience and im sure that helps. Who came up with the tanning recipes anyway?