1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Water Based White and Retarder

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Jon S, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

I was using some polytranspar water based white paint. I added a couple drops of retarder to the paint cup and the paint turned to jelly right in the cup! The paint seems fine otherwise and I used some more for what I needed. Never had that happen before, anyone seen that and has an idea of what happened?

2. wrong retarder. you used F instead of WA

3. GBRUCH

GBRUCH "I am nothing without christ".....John 15:5

nope---it happens with the wa also. I thin it out with some Alcohol and it is good to go.

I am soon going to try the woods and water detail white---from what I hear it is "the detail white" hands down.

4. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

Definately the right retarder. I guess I just never messed with the white enough to notice it before. I try not to thin the white much because it doesn't seem to like it.

5. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I know others that have also had the same reaction - with rubbing alcohol too with the white when thinning. I've noticed a reaction when I initially put retarder in the WB White Poly paint (Hydromist too), but after swishing around it always mixes fine for me. Maybe you're adding too much retarder? I also rarely thin either of these whites because IMO they're already lacking in enough pigment. I do like the W&W Detail White and I'll be trying the Ivory White probably today. I've got a very small mount left of the Poly Superhide White to use and I won't be ordering anything but the W&W Whites from now on. Nice stuff...

6. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

The more I mixed the thicker it got. Fast too, it jelled before I had a chance to spray - luckily.
    Just odd, I can add plenty of retarder to every other color.

7. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

It almost curdles like spoiled milk - eh?

8. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

Yep, turned to butter, lol