1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Member status, Power posting, Gold-Pressed Latinum level

Discussion in 'Forum Operations' started by PA, Sep 28, 2006.

1. PA

PA Guest

I don't usually start a post, but can't help but notice the categories each person has fallen into. Certain people who refuse to sign in and then post as a Guest, never get enough posts in total to move out of the "New Member" category. I originally had thought the "New Member" status may refer to how long the person had been a member of the site, but it appears that it only has to do with the number of posts. Thus someone who had a 36-hour run on this forum and posted REAL responses to every active post, could become a bronze or silver member in a day and a half. A second person who doesn't want the world to know they are signed in, may be a member for years before they get even to the metal of lead level. When does Cecil get to be gold-pressed latinum level?

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

PA, shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Cecil says he's not paying attention to things like that. If he thinks it'll get him another star, he'll post single word entries a dozen at a time from now on.

3. Glen Conley

Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

I'm afraid my worst fears are going to come to fruition. Escalation.

First it was the Karma to go, no doubt influenced by a verbal few suffering from Freudian Karma envy. Mr. T had the Big Karma, but his Karma wasn't as big as Piggy's. With the Karma gone, it is now time to look to the Stars.

Below is a quote from another thread. I switched STAR for Karma.

"Either the STAR MEANS something and holds some sort of value or it doesn't. So what does the STAR symbolize? What others think of you? What they think of your opinions? What they think of your posts? What they think of your participation? I think that with the way it is now STAR can be anything, could be someone doesn't like your name. What does this accomplish? What does this tell others? Again does it hold value? If it doesn't tell you anything about someone why have have it? Look at George, knowledgeable, gives good solid advice and I doubt he would go back on a deal, what's his STARS right now .... 3. Is this an accurate reflection of who George is, NO."

We'll log in some day to find the stars gone. Next will be the avatars. Your hair and eyebrows will be next.

4. PA

PA Guest

Uncle Glen,

What prompted you to get up at 4:15 this morning???, or was it a late night. I almost always sleep in until at least 5:00.

I didn't think Karma was that bad of an idea, except that people would attack a person because of their views, not their value in posts that they contribute to this forum. Because Cecil and George have divergent views on the world, the people with the Cecil view would give bad Karma to Grandpa George and visa versa. Both give good information in their specialties. Perhaps just positive Karma should be able to be given, or Karma couldn't be given in the Current events category (but then people would seek out the posters in other categories).

I am beginning to believe people visit this forum for the humor of it all. It certainly is addictive and brings a smile to my face daily.

Those edumacated people who post information in detail should be thanked for their time they spend helping newbies, for them that knows could just go about their business and ignore this forum. Luckilly Uncle Glen and Grandpa George, you two both add humor and good information!!!!!!!!!!

5. It is addictive, but it is also a way to communicate quickly during a busy schedule with people in the business. Beats picking up the telephone any day!

I visit another forum where the amount of posts are set up the same way. Each level has a name and the people there are just as excited about reaching a new level according to the amount of posts as they are here. Call it what you want, it will all be old hat this time next year. This topic will be a drudgery topic for the guys that are living through the excitement today.

6. Glen Conley

I tol ya so..........................ya shoulda listened.

7. Thanks for the rental space Uncle Glen, but what on earth happened to my HAIR? :eek: I feel so violated all the sudden :'( Chocolate cravings here they come. It'll be all your gooses fault if I turn into a big fat pig now. Oh live is so unjust. :-\

8. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $90 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

HA! Methinks the wrong wolf is there!!!

Piggy, he was trying to get rid of your eyebrows!

Wolfie

9. EJ

EJ Proud Member of: Unaffiliated, Free Agent

Man!, Looks like George has one of those comb over sworf hair dos. LOL!

10. Wolf

Wolf AHOOoooooo!

It looks like I have mange!!!! Thanks alot! Glen, don't you remember what I did to Kiwi, or do you need a reminder? Wabbit got the hint and his wascally hide disappeared before I could get my paws on him. Your not the only one with "photo shop" you know? LOL

She-Wolf

11. Glen Conley

She Wolf, you mean mange smites don't you?

12. Wolfwoman

Wolf, Join me for Christmas Dinner?

[​IMG]
    Wolfie

13. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Now ya can't EAT the Karma Goose, that would make for some very bad karma, kinda like breakin a mirror. LOL

14. Wolfwoman

Wolves don't NEED Karma, they have big teeth!!

Wolfie

15. Glen Conley

16. Wolfwoman

Have you ever seen the things that wolves EAT?? I don't believe anything is hazardous to their health!!!

[​IMG]

Wolfie

17. Glen Conley

Surgeon General sez, " I tol ya so, I tol ya so!".

18. Atdymoke

Atdymoke New Member

Glen that was my post that you just used switching the stars and the karma around. First of all let me just say that at no time did I have Freudian Karma envy, I just didn't see a value in the "Karma" system, it was unreliable, uncontrolled and served no meaning to anyone. Was it fun?? Maybe to some. Would I of felt different if my Karma was +200, NO!

Now you want to talk about the stars??? So what do the stars tell us about someone ..... how many posts they have and how much value they add right? So let's take Cecil for a second he has well over 500 posts and as far as I know he has more than anyone else. Yesterday Cecil had 488 posts of which 251 were in the current event section and very few were actually in the category he is best known for. He is a gold or platinum level poster who spews a lot of political garbage, responds to about every controversial thread and stirs the pot more often than not. But according to the "stars" he is a great asset to the forum (I think George may disagree). I'm not saying to get rid of anything and again I am not questioning the talent that exists in the makeup of this forum (hats still of to you Ken), I would of been happy enough, if everyone wanted to keep the Karma, to just be a guest on here and not have a part of the "karma game".

19. Wolfwoman

*wolf turns and eats -THAT- too*

Wolfie

20. Glen Conley

Asher, let me try to break this to you gently.........there is no Karma Goose. There is really no such thing as Freudian Karma Envy either, but if there was, it is good to know you ain't got it.

You were not the only one to see Karma, Stars, number of posts and so forth as irrelevant to anything. All of us in this thread saw it in the same light. The difference between our actions and yours was that we chose to joke about it. Makes for lower blood pressure. I tried, and I couldn't keep the smites picked off of you. At that point I went back and read some of your threads when you complained about losing seven points and hadn't done anything controversial.

"Controversial" at this time could well be a relevant term. You were insistent on eliminating the Karma System, even more so after that post. People do not like it when someone tries to take away a freedom of choice, any more so than taking away the freedom of speech. The Karma System was a form of freedom of speech, and like freedom of speech, there are those that choose to abuse it. Many "funnies" were made in attempts to illustrate that it did not make any difference what so ever that a guest or a registered member was actually one and the same person regardless, but in many cases I do believe that it did not compute with given individuals.

Hope you're happy now. There's going to be a lot of adults absolutely crushed to find out that the Karma Goose was a hired actor.