1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Texas convention

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by tpolson88, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Bangle

Bangle New Member

This was an awesome and very rewarding show! It was fun hanging out with everyone again!

My second year competing, and my first year to be in the professional division. I took a third and second place on my two mounts. I was very excited!

Had a great time grilling oryx burgers for some of you guys. :) And it was nice meeting some new faces too! Can't wait til next year.

2. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

It was an outstanding show,A HUGE thanks to Manny and all the judges, they did a great job, Only one blue ribbon for Whitetails in the pro division and I think only 3-4 blues in gameheads in the Pro division. Very strict and excellent detailed critiques. Almost 250 mounts were entered, 150 in the Professional division alone. I don't know for sure but I'll bet there was well over 200 people at the awards banquet. Dr. Dan, Roy and all the others did a great job organizing and making everything go smoothly. It's the first TX show I've been to in many years and it was a pleasure and I look forward to going again next year.
    For you deer guys, the one blue for whitetail in the pros was a 17yr old kid. How about that.

3. artwildcreate

artwildcreate Don't look at me.....

It was one of the best Texas shows I have ever attended... It was great seeing old friends and making new ones.....

4. Bobbym1232

Bobbym1232 New Member

Yep, Tommy did drop the hammer on us all for whitetails! Hard to admit it, but he was pretty fair. I took an 2nd on my WT at 86 and everything he pointed out needed fixing. Father/Son took the only 2 blues on WT's.

Manny and Chris were both excellent judges also. They were both fair and gave very good advice!

Walked away with 3 2nd's and 1 3rd. I'm happy. Watch out next year! :)

5. artwildcreate

Oh yeah.. Congrats to all the big winners! Jerry Huffaker took all of us in the Professional division to school! He won Best of Category in both Gameheads and Lifesize mammals!

6. I agree, it was a great show. Thanks to all the officers and board members that put this together. Great seminars and wonderful folks. And Evelyn, there was a lady singing, but she wasn't fat!

7. Nancy and I had a blast! We got to see old friends and new. It's always nice to put a face with a name.

8. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Uh, would this be a good time to remind some of you that Im doing a Yoxathon at Michael Ps place in August??? ;)

9. Brandon M.

Brandon M. New Member

Just a first timers opinion but I'm not discouraged at all, I'm stoked for next year. I had a blast meet alot of people and learned more than I'll be able to remember. I want to tank everyone who had a part in putting this awesome event together.

10. I better hope that the lady singing wasn't fat because that was me. LOL

11. artwildcreate

Is it booked?

12. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Brandon, that positive attitude will help you do well in taxidermy, your state has some of the best as you saw this weekend.

Evelyn, I really doubt they meant you, lol, the fat part I mean. :D

Mike, I think we still need 2 or maybe 3 more people.

13. gary1234

gary1234 New Member

Hey guys this is Gary Weir I havnt been on here for awhile for some reason Im now a new member because I had to change up my pass word because someone forgot it, lol. The show I agree was awesome, and thank all of you for attending my seminar, I hope everyone got something good out of it. Thank everyone for all your support. Dr. Dan is one heck of a president we dont know how fortunate we are to have him as our president

14. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Amen Gary!!!

PS. Congrats to your son!!!!!!!!!! Your seminar was great!

15. DeeCee

DeeCee New Member

Great seminar Gary. All of them I attended were. There were many great pieces at the show. I loved Jerrys leopard, and how Michael mounted a bird and used the giraffe for the habitat. Very nice show, I'm ready for next year.

16. mossyoakprincess

mossyoakprincess New Member

Texas
    It was AWESOME!!!! We had a blast. Can't wait til next year. The entertainment was great Friday night (Evelyn). Really enjoyed it and everybody!

17. RDA

RDA Active Member

ahh THANKS FOR THE PICS! Looked like a good show! ;)

18. shane d

shane d New Member

This was a great show. Second best only to the world show this year for me. My wife and i had a blast.Really good seminars,learned alot,made a lot of new friends.Now its time to get back to work,looking forward to next years show.Look forward to seeing you next year. Shane davenport

19. I loved the show!!! great seminars, great supply room and AWESOME competition room!! It was great meeting new ppl and seeing old friends:)

20. RumRunner

RumRunner Nicholas Dugas, (337) 205-1269

It was a great show. I only entered two pieces (planned on more..) in the amature division, got first on my Abert squirrel and second on my should mount black bear. I also received the Horizon Award for my squirrel.

here are some pics in no apparent order
    My squirrel and bear
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Hilary B's two mounts
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]