1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

hairless mounts

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by pinkfuzzibunnies, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Jdewitt27

Jdewitt27 New Member

I'd like to see some pics of that when your finished. Don't see any disrespect of an animal in this just because its not traditional.....nothing wrong with a nekked coyote haha

2. krusher167

krusher167 New Member

how can you say this, when the subject of the thread, is taking off hair

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Trixie /Rhasputin you two have made one helluva leap from a "hairless" mount to shoes. Now perhaps at your age the thought of being seen nude in public is appealing but I assure you that if I joined you you want to unsee what you saw. That was a silly assed analogy. I'm not trying to depict a cow with a pair of Gucci loafers.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Freak taxidermy is the term, not rouge., I guess there is a market for everything they say.

5. Tannertroop

Tannertroop Member

Instead of using Nair there is another product called magic cream. It is made to remove the hair from a black mans head instead of shaving. You apply it and let it sit for a few minutes and the hair will slide off with the help of a straight edge piece of plastic (spoon etc). They even sell a bladeless razor for this purpose. It can be purchased at walmart. It works better on a more coarse hair than nair. I only know about this stuff because my wifes friend told her about using it on her womanly area. Works like a champ.

6. I think you're right on this saying a market for everything. That's why I'm going to put a GRILL(gold teeth) on my next deer to see if I can open up the market to more people!!! :D :D :D LOL

7. well, I will be using the rittle hair off product...I think it's the best option, so thank you. What really made me to want to do hairless mounts was that movie "major pain"...in the end of it he shaves the blind kids head and his german shepard, and that dog looked sooo wierd shaven and that just opened the door to the many possibilities.

LOL...that was a pretty funny argument :)
    IMO though the whole respect issue is kind of void...I mean - killing something to make it look alive again...I don't really find that any more respectful than making some form of art with it (shrug)......it all being done in good taste and talent assumed.

thank you for the info and hopefully I will have a nice hairless mount to show later this year...

8. George

Them that can,do. Them that can't, rationalize and call it "art".

9. So are you saying you can't 'do'? Or you don't do art?

10. George

Slow learner aren't you Rhasputin. I have been doing TAXIDERMY for over 50 years and never felt it was pure "art". But I never mounted a squirrel and had all the hair fall out either.

11. Not a slow learner at all, just confused. ;)
    I don't really see how taxiddermy isn't 'pure art'. . . nor what the definition of 'pure art' is.

12. George

Real slow. My definition means you take a medium and create something completely dissimilar from the medium. How many taxidermists do you know who carve the forms, cast their own eyes,and manufacture their own skins?

13. Well then you are the ignorant one here George, art has an extremely wide definition. If Taxidermy is not an art, then neither is realism painting. ;)

14. Jdewitt27

Jdewitt27 New Member

drama

15. I think you're selling your self short George. You seem to be offended by the term "artist"...Being an artist doesn't mean you neglect to work within a set of standards or are attempting to recreate something new.
    Taxidermy requires artistic skill - painting, forming, modeling etc.
    If someone told me that they were a taxidermist and in the same breath told me they weren't an artist - I would assume that their mounts would look rather poor and probably less than life like. Capturing the correct nose color, the dew on a fawn's lip, the look of aggression in a wolverines eyes - takes dedication to your craft. It doesn't come naturally to everyone and it requires development and creativity.
    It's your artistic skills that takes a piece of dead skin and styrofoam and turns it into an amazing, life-like mount.
    When someone looks at my work and calls me an Artist - I'm honored not offended.

16. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

When only one or two people tell you that you are an artist,,, you are not an artist. When everyone tells you that you are an artist, well, you might want to listen to half of them a little bit. I would be real careful who you let call you an artist, they may be blind, or just related to you, or are just being nice.

17. George

Rhasputin I try not to get into intellectual discussions with minors who already know everything. Because a thin minority of you like ghoulish caricatures of what the rest of us have toiled to make respectable isn't going to change facts. You need to stay cloistered with the small group who insists that the Emperor really is wearing clothes.

18. Lupen

Lupen New Member

I do agree with George on it being a bit disrespectful to the animal. I love taxidermy because I love seeing the animal's beauty that it had in life preserved... having a hairless coyote isn't really what I'd call beautiful. Don't get me wrong, rogue taxidermy is interesting and as long as it's done well it can be beautiful, but I still prefer my animals as lifelike as possible or to look the same as they did when they were alive. I don't know, I guess I just have my own strange beliefs...

I don't agree with George on the part about taxidermy not being "pure art" though. How is it not art? I've always seen taxidermy as art, even when I was younger and didn't really know much about it. Even if you haven't learned a thing about taxidermy, it's clear that it requires a lot of skill to make a good mount, and it's amazing how much attention goes into every little detail. It takes a real artist to make something dead look alive again.

And Mr. T, I don't think you have to be amazing at what you do - whether it be painting, sculpting, taxidermy, or some other art form -, to be an artist. Everyone is an artist is my eyes, even if they can't draw something with the correct anatomy or make it look like the actual animal or object, as long as they're dedicated and enjoy what they do, they're an artist. But that's just my opinion...

19. George

Lupin there certainly are true artists among us but damned few. The very BEST most can do is give you a realistic recreation of what the animal looked like in life. We buy sculpted parts FROM artists through suppliers. Sometimes we even alter those parts but by and large most taxidermists are CRAFTSMEN. Now thats hard to swallow for some whose families and friends have convinced that they are gifted artists but a fact nevertheless.

20. crafts·man
    noun /ˈkraf(t)smən/ 
    craftsmen, plural

A person who is skilled in a particular craft

An artist