1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

spray on tan,cant do it. But.

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by supdavetax, Jun 19, 2011.

1. supdavetax

supdavetax New Member

Got the spray on Tan, did just as the instruction said. now it's time to mount. It fills and looks just like a raw cape. Can not make my self mount that. Going back to krowtann ,which I have had good luck with. was looking for a faster way. Just as an opinion will it be ok to krowtann the capes after I have put the spray on tan on them. Just for information it was Paul Witt's shure cure. Probably good stuff just not for me.

2. supdavetax I know how you feel on it feeling and looking green. I've only used krowtann since I started taxidermy two years ago then I also was looking for a faster method. I tried the one-hour tan. I changed the mix a little not following the directions to the T because I had someone who had been using it for over 15yrs turn me on to it and this is how they used it with success. The first one tried I thought the same thing. It's still green and is going to slip. I mounted it up anyways. It turned out great. I tried it again and the same thing. Still with great results. This is all I use now. I get tons more stretch than I did with krowtann and it looks 10times better after mounting. I don't even use a hide puller any more. I can put everything in place by hand due to the stretch I get. I thought I was getting good stretch with krowtann, but I wasn't at all. I've never used DP before, but when you mount one up it's still green. This is the same thing. The fast methods are preservatives not tans so your hide will look green, but in the end you may like it. I did and will never use krowtann again. I have three bottles of krowtann never been opened if you interested. Just Sayin ;)

3. Can you share what one hour tan you used and the steps that you followed?

4. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Did you treat the skin with Sodium sulfate prior to fleshing, then wash it out as per the instructions? I have used spray on tans for a long time and am much happier with them than KrowTann. This ain't my first rodeo...there is not much out there that I have not tried. I'd just like to know your procedure.

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Muddobber, be careful extolling "preservatives". It's pretty hard talking about that while you're using Krowtann. It' nothing more than a "half tan" and a preservative itself. There is no such thing as a "quick" tan

6. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

AMEN!

There are quite a few products out there that could use some regulation, when it comes to using the word "TAN" in their name! In my opinion, there are too many mis-leading statements, when it comes to product quality, or its capabillitys.

The key to problems like this, is tanning education.

I am going to try to start a multi-part thread, covering everything from skinning to tanning, over the next week or two. Explaining in detail, all the what, when, how, and why. Everyone that knows tanning basics is welcome to jump in. If not, set back and read.

7. George you are correct, but I don't use Krowtann any more. I came to my senses one day and realized krowtann is junk. The only time I use the word tan talking about Krowtann is in the name. I'm using the One-Hour Tan (Again It's Just The Name). I know it's a preservative and not a tan, but it does preserve very well and I've had good results using it. I never would try to pass it or Krowtann off as a tan. I've read too many post from you tearing people up about loosely using the word tan. I'm trying to not become another victim of a George lashing :D :D :D Just Sayin

Tanning Is the process which converts the protein of the raw hide or skin into a stable material which will not putrefy and is suitable for a wide variety of end applications. The principal difference between raw hides and tanned hides is that raw hides dry out to form a hard inflexible material that when re-wetted (or wetted back) putrefy, while tanned material dries out to a flexible form that does not become putrid when wetted back. Many different tanning methods and materials can be used; the choice is ultimately dependent on the end application of the leather. The most commonly used tanning material is chromium, which leaves the leather, once tanned, a pale blue color (due to the chromium); this product is commonly called "wet blue". The hides once they have finished pickling will typically be between pH 2.8 and 3.2. At this point, the hides would be loaded in a drum and immersed in a float containing the tanning liquor. The hides are allowed to soak (while the drum slowly rotates about its axle) and the tanning liquor slowly penetrates through the full substance of the hide. Regular checks will be made to see the penetration by cutting the cross-section of a hide and observing the degree of penetration. Once an even degree of penetration exists, the pH of the float is slowly raised in a process called basification. This basification process fixes the tanning material to the leather and the more tanning material fixed, the higher the hydrothermal stability and increased shrinkage temperature resistance of the leather. The pH of the leather when chrome tanned would typically finish somewhere between 3.8 and 4.2.

Prservative A chemical compound that is added to protect against decay or decomposition

8. Rocky Bottom it's fairly simple. Flesh and prep your cape to the point of dry preserve ready. Thin everything as if you're about to mount. Wash cape in a anti bacterial soap and water solution for ever how long you like. Rinse with water. For your preservative solution use 2 1/2gallons of water, 20oz salt and 12 to 14oz of One-Hour powder. Mix well until salt has gone into solution. Submerge cape into mix flesh side out. Agitate every 15minutes for 1hour. I then turn cape hair side out and let it sit in mix for and additional 15 to 20minutes. Remove cape and rinse hair side out in just water. Hang dry for 30minutes to an hour. This is left up to you on how long. Roll cape up in towels and dry. If you have a tumbler toss it in and dry a little more. Either way tumble or not it's OK. I like mine dry when I mount. At this point you can mount or perform a final fleshing. Your choice. Depending on how thin you get your cape during your fleshing the first round, but the second time after it's been through the preserving process it shaves like butter. That's it. I stretch it with my arms only. I don't have to use a stretcher. You will still see pink color that looks raw in some areas, but it's not. The first time I used it I thought this was going to be bad when I saw the pink. After I mounted it and it dried my mind was changed. Now I really like it. Just Sayin!!!

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

It sounds like a disinfected skin at best, not tanned.

10. Never said tanned because it's not. It's preserved. If I was going to disinfect it I would just spray it down with some lysol and go with it like that. The preservative solution (aka One-hour TAN) gets really good penetration and works well IMO. Mr. T Why are you trying to put your two cents in when it's only worth a 1/2!!!!!!!!!! ;) ;) ;) I'm not south of I-10 I'm just north of it. Just Sayin.

11. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

I dped capes a while

I leducated myself about tanning

Heres what i feel is the truth

Some companies are trying to offer products which will give some dpers the feeling that they are tanning or in some way doing more than preserving

If you want to tan then tan it doesnt happen correctly in one step and doesnt come in a 12 oz bottle

otherwise just dp your capes. My opinion is these products are simply companies offering products to those who dont want to learn tanning or dont want to go throught the (correct)process thereof.

dp is cheaper than these so called tan products and based on what ive learned those products are not tans and nothing more than a quick preservative.
    If you like them and are doing fine with them no big deal.

Most dpers who havent tanned think that all of the steps REQUIRED to get a cape tanned is a huge hassel.I was one of them. Its tanned or its preserved (or just pickled) nothing in the middle regardless of what product makers claim

12. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

So then it is a preservative,, what is in it? What does the " preserving" ,, and you even called it the " One Hour Tan"
    Shouldn't it be named the "one hour preservative"? ??? ;D