1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Competition question

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by txoutdoors, Jun 20, 2011.

1. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

What are your thoughts on competing in multiple shows with the same peice?

I can see taking a peice that scores well at a state level going to the world show, but what about the reverse?

What would you think of taking a mount that scores high at the world show and entering it in state shows?

I have seen this several times and for some reason it just does not sit well with me. Is it me or do others feel the same way?

2. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Well,..........

Well, every state has different rules that govern that issue. And some don't address it at all. For example in Texas (I am assuming that is why you are asking) says that you cannot compete with a World Show piece unless that piece was entered in the SAME YEAR that the World Show occured. Like this year. Now at last year's Texas show (2010) you could not enter a World Show piece from 2009. Since this year's World Show occured before the Texas Show, then you could enter that piece at the Texas Show after having already entered it at the World Show.

Some taxidermists feel that they spent a lot of time and effort into a show piece and then enter it in different competitions. Some for getting more awards and some for different critiques from the judges. Heck I know of some race horses that race at more than just one race. ;D It is a "competition". And if someone produces a good piece, why not take it to different shows? Either for more ribbons or for more critiques?

Most states say that you can't enter the same piece at the same competition.

I personally don't see a problem with it. If you put a lot of work into a piece, then by all means be proud of that piece and take it to other shows. In a perfect world the World Show would occur in the fall AFTER the all the year's state shows are over. But it is what it is.

:)

Kerby...

3. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

The only time I have a problem with it, is if someone takes a piece to the WTC and wins a title, whether it be best, second, or third in world, then takes that same piece to a state show. In my opinion those are the highest honors in the industry, and taking that piece and placing it in a "lesser show" like a state show doesn't make much sense. That being said, if you spend that much time on a mount, you should take it to as many shows as you want. I usually do a couple show pieces a year, and travel to several state shows with those mounts. Who has time to do new pieces for every show? I barely have time to do the pieces I do. Should I ever by some miracle have a piece that wins at the highest level, it will be retired.

4. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

X2, word for word.

5. Brian Claar

Brian Claar New Member

Re: Re: Competition question

I Look at it like this. If your mad about a title winner coming to your State show, your only scared you won't have a chance beat them. These silly rules are killing some of State Shows. I have seen world show scores go down at state shows.
    You should be glad when a Masters piece shows up at your show. From what I have seen, the Masters usually show up with multiple pieces so that they can win some money. Remember this, they also pay dues and a entry fee that Help YOUR State show. Why would you turn away more money? There are 2 shows I planned on attending but their silly rules won't allow it. PA allows Any entry regardless of where it has been and it makes the competion good. Blame any spelling errors on my android.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

6. GBRUCH

GBRUCH "I am nothing without christ".....John 15:5

I have to agree for the most part with all the other guys.

I think mounts should be allowed to make an appearance at any show regardless of how the schedule falls.
    I think shows are better when quality pieces are there.

Why turn away an entry -that is my question? ???

7. mike g

mike g Active Member

For me I am not afraid to compete against anyone, I have been beat by some of the best and I have won against some of the best at the state level. It makes me a better taxidermist for going up against such talent. I have never been to a World Show but if I did and took honors I would not take the mount back to a state show but that's just me.

8. Frog

Frog New Member

I say to each his own, if you want to carry it around show to show , do it. If not don't. I don't have a problem going to different shows with the same piece. Too much time spent on some pieces to just take to 1 show.

9. shane d

shane d New Member

I was one of those people you are talking about. I took a piece that i scored a third place at the world show after talking to the judge i went home worked on some of the problem areas. i then took it to the state show to see if i improved, for me it was a learning tool,but i did enjoy increasing my score and jumping up a ribbon. Manny Chavez was the judge at the state show and he wasn't GIVING anyone a score they didn't deserve.

10. If the piece ges a ribbon at the world show fine, then later that year compete instate shows fine....

I took a peice to our state show. did ok, then the regional s did ok. in between these shows I corrected mistakes, then took a best of cat. I learned a lot doing this.

Matter of factit changed so much over a couple months one member thought it was not the same piece!!! So yes its fine to do so inthe same year.

11. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

I take pieces from one show to the next but I'm no World Title winner and probably won't ever have that kind of talent to win one but I do enjoy taking my pieces to multiple shows and most states I go to say Thank You for bringing the pieces.

One thing to remember is that you also take a chance on having your ass handed to you by another piece at a show no matter what awards it may have won at the World or other state shows. Thats the risk you take. ;) ;D

12. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

I don't see a problem campaigning a piece. The rules here state your can enter any piece as long as it has never been to Ohio before.

However if I won a Best In World or National Title with a piece I would not drag the piece to a State show later. Like Dan says you NEVER know what could happen.

13. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

This is my opinion as well.

14. kbauman

kbauman Active Member

OK
    Some person wiser than myself said once, "if you want to be the best, you must bet the best." I have seen many state rules attempting to eliminate the better competitors from competing. I personally don't agree with this practice, and believe in the old wise saying. Is this not why state shows have a separate divisions for competitors to enter?

15. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

You are not the type of competitor I was talking about. I was referring to those that won medallions with their pieces at the highest level of competition. Personally, I'm just not sure what someone that has done that with a piece has left to prove by going to a state show. That being said it doesn't happen very often, so it's not a huge issue with me. I wouldn't do it, but maybe that's just me. Our state does not discriminate against pieces that have been to other shows, no matter what they won or how long ago it was that they were there.

16. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

He was talking about the original poster egomaniac!

17. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

You don't compete so why are you even looking at this thread. Why don't you make a quick run to the store for some more hair gel and stay out of this.

18. PacWest

PacWest Active Member

I am with you Cole. It may be 'legal' and come in right below the ethics bar, but it is sort of taking a victory lap and doing a touch down dance. How much of your ego do you need stroked? A good friend of mine calls it the "look-at-me syndrome". It's not illegal, but it is in poor taste. Just my opinion though.

When I won Intergalactic Champion that one year, I did not take my piece to the World Show for pats on the back.

19. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

When someone puts the time into a competition mount, they need to get the most out of it by entering more than one show. I don't care if they are going up in order of "difficulty" or back down to state shows. It doesn't bother me one way or another. Different judges have different perspectives and success at one show(even World) doesn't guarantee the same success at the next show. Competition can be all about just getting your work evaluated or it can be all about success for advertising purposes, neither one is wrong. Why should someone who wins anything at World be penalized because their state show is scheduled after the World instead of before the World?

20. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Y'all crack me up! Look PAC, let's get right down to it. When a "profesional" spends a hundred, if not hundreds of hours on a "chance" at reward that in most cases will not cover cost then just what the heck do you think It is? It's about winning and ego.

A few of you sound like the public school system, if there is a team better then spot the opposition points. Seriously, you knew the rules going in but only want to complain about them afterwards??? And especially when there was a board meeting and none of this was brought up???

That's how you make Texas better, eliminate the really good mounts so I have a better chance at winning

Some people......jeesh