1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

caulk drying time

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by Valdo, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Valdo

Valdo Member

I mounted a rattlesnake 2 days ago and added acrylic latex caulk with silicone in the last portion before the rattle but it seems that it hasn't dried a bit. I touch it and it still feels very soft. I was thinking of either letting it dry some more or just making an incision, removing the caulk, and adding clay. What do you guys think?

2. bubba z

bubba z New Member

The problem with a bunch of caulk in the end of the tail is you get some shrinkage clay works better but it even takes a while to dry without being open to the air.

3. Reptiles have a very dense skin, it takes forever for them to dry through the skin.

4. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

I will have to say that you're gonna be disappointed with the shrinkage in that part of the tail when it drys! I learned this years ago on squirrel feet. ;) Carved foam, epoxy putty or clay would have been the better choice.

5. Valdo

Valdo Member

I guess I'll try to remove it and apply some clay. Thanks. I hope I don't mess it up!

6. RTPBearcat

RTPBearcat New Member

Go with the expoxy putty.

7. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Apoxie sculpt will blend with the form easily and not shrink. Good luck with what ever you do. Dan

8. Valdo

Valdo Member

Thanks for your responses. I'll try what you all suggested on my future rattlers.