1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lake Trout

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by ET-Taxidermy, Jun 21, 2011.

1. ET-Taxidermy

ET-Taxidermy New Member

I have a 30'" lake trout brought to me and the customer said he would prefer the original head. Is there a way I can degrease this head and save it? I like to use 50/50 DA and H2O for degreasing for usually 3 days on larger size fish (I'm a part timer). I also don't do many salmon or trout cause of my location, but i usally use fake. Can I save the head? All input is welcome.
    Bob

2. Paul C

Paul C New Member

CAST the original! The client will have the "real head" and you won't compromise the integrity of the mount or your name.

3. warthog

warthog Member of VVA and VFW

Casting the head would be the answer to me...but your client may really want the real head...if he does, just make sure that he understands the risks involved with grease bleed through and that you will not be responsible for it when it happens. I have found that there is not a single thing out there that will stop the grease from coming through. Just remember it is not a matter of whether or not that it will come through...but a matter of when it will come through. And it will. Some of these guys are real die-hards when it comes to this subject.

4. Paul C

Paul C New Member

When I have a guy that is THAT insistent that he knows my job better than I do I politely hand the job back to him and say, "Here ya go....have at it." DO NOT compromise your integrity or the integrity of your work because of some silly assed hang up that your client has. Give him the real head as a cast and explain the reasons you do it that way. If its not good enough for him and he still insists on your doing YOUR job the WRONG way turn the job down----its not worth it.

5. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Capt Paul is right on the money with this one. DO NOT COMPROMISE over one peice of work, that could cost you alot of $$ and work in the future.

6. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

yeah I love these stuck on having the real head people.

7. ET-Taxidermy

ET-Taxidermy New Member

I will cast. I called him last night and let him know my feeling on the subject. I explained to him that it was the only way I will do it. He agreed and apologized he was caught up in the moment.
    Now I don't cast, I usually use a fake. What is the best product (smooth on.....) and is there a good video I could get for some good tips. Rick shows some on tutorials but I want to make sure I have all info I can get.I'm more worried about how long until you can release the head from mold. I want to get as much detail in the mouth as possible. I went to the harbor and got a coho to practice on.
    Bob

8. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

Take good measurements before you cast the head. Just in case so you can purchase and artificial head if you don't like your results. There are a couple of good tutorials on the subject. I like using RTV silicon. I have never used Smooth-on products but many have.

9. ET-Taxidermy

ET-Taxidermy New Member

What mack of silicone? hardware store? How is your mouth detail inside?
    Bob

10. ChoppTax

ChoppTax New Member

I have cut the top of the head off from the tip of the mouth through the eye socket and back. Clean out as much as you can. this basically leaves the mouth and gill cover. You form must be long enough to attach the mouth to. Epoxy the cut out portion of the head. I have done this for years with no problems. I have a spawning coho here that I did 10+ years and no problem.

11. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

I use RTV silicon GI 1100 from Innovtive poylmers. Comtact Polymer Guy on here for product info or Doug Bridges for product info on Smooth-on products.

12. ET-Taxidermy

ET-Taxidermy New Member

Thankyou very much. This is what this site is all about.
    Bob

13. ET-Taxidermy

ET-Taxidermy New Member

Duxdog,
    Do you use a release agent with the GI 1100? I am recieveing it any day now.
    Bob