1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

rehydrating Zebra skin

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by bpbigperm, Jun 21, 2011.

1. A friend of mine got his Zebra back from Africa and wants to make a rug out of it. I have never done this so I did not have any answers to his questions. Is there anything special you need to do to rehydrate the tanned skin to make a rug out of it? His wife is a seemstress and she wants to make the rug herself. Thnks for any help you could provide.

2. if it was tanned in africa, chances are high that it is a chrome tan. do you know if it is a chrome tan or not? this makes a difference is why i ask

3. Is it real stiff and white leather? If so it could also be just pickled and allowed to dry. They are a booger to get rehydrated and will have to be truly tanned. Send it to a tannery to have it finished.

4. Cut a small piece off from an inconspicuous area and place in a cup with a little distilled water , leave for a couple of hours then check the ph of the water , this will indicate whether it is just pickled or tanned somehow. If it is tanned and doesnt fall apart do a shrink test on it , hopefully sombody will point you in the right direction to find a chart of what temps various tans curl at . I hope this is a helpful starting point . Cheers Peter