1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

competing with fish(replicas)

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Joey Arender, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

my wife just found out that a little friend of hers, that is a senior in HS, just got news today that her cancer is back, and this time its going to be an even worse battle for her. ...... this thread is what I had on my mind for the last few weeks.... how the hell is that fair. This little kid is battling for her life and I am wondering why someone would buy a damn replica to compete with in the masters category!!!!!!!!! so if yall dont mind throw up one for Ashley she beat this once..just maybe she can again.

2. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Damn, sorry to hear that. One sent up with many to follow.

One of my customers just brought me a deer to do for him today and he just told me the news he has a tumor on his tonsils. He doesn't smoke drink or chew. He's 39 and has 2 kids. When he showed up I barely recognized him, he has lost all his hair and all of his teeth as well already. Sometimes life isn't fair and most of us aren't grateful for what we have and don't have. Dan

3. Mike.B

Mike.B New Member

I am just starting in taxidermy so my opinion might mean squat to most of you guys lol but people are saying replica painting is not taxidermy then what is it I figure its a new route for taxidermist to go. I watched a 15 year old kid release a 51 inch northern pike back into the water instead of killing it for the wall instead he asked me to paint a replica so he is preserving our fisheries in order to make a mold of a fish does one not have to be killed in order to make the mold or am I incorrect. I am really glad there is such high detailed replicas out there so I can try and convince more people to let the trophy fish go and to keep it strong for my children's children. put a separate category out there for replica painting.

4. dougp

dougp Active Member

WOW!........

This thread is growing more branches than a pine tree!! LOL!!

Now we have C&R thrown into the mix........................ ;D ::) ;)

I think we are having a problem with semantics when talking about what taxidermy is. A taxidermist needs to be able to perform many different tasks. Mold making and casting are a couple that help a taxidermist perform his duties. So, molding and casting are certainly PART of being a taxidermist, but only part.

If a person is ONLY molding and casting and has no other abilities to actually skin, flesh, mount, sculpt and finally paint a fish....then IMO, he is NOT a taxidermist. He is a model maker.

If a person is purchasing all his replica materials for assembly, he is NOT a model maker, he is a model finisher.

:)

DougP

5. AnglingArtisan

AnglingArtisan Well-Known Member

What is the big deal about being refered to as a "Taxidermist" anyway? Most people think that means you do Taxes for people or else you drive a cab. :D
    All the fine ladies got there eye out for a "SKIN MOVER" too let me tell ya.. hehe ;)
    I think WASCO has had this figured out for a long time...WILDLIFE ARTIST supply company.
    Now doesn't that just sound better and it makes everyone happy ;D ;D ;D.

6. dougp

dougp Active Member

Rich, I agree completely....!!!

DougP

7. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Those are usually the drunks at 3AM calling for the taxi, not sure about the taxes.

A good fish mold maker had better be able to taxi the skin a bit or you will have a copy of a dead looking fish.

I believe MI has changed the rules as to let a competitor in the novice or pro division use a commercial replica.

Joey will definitely send prayers out for her and her family. That does have a profound way of prioritising ones thoughts.

PB

8. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Buying and finishing a LCR fish certainly does NOT require any taxidermy skill. It's like building a GODZILLA model like I did in the 70's.

I have no BEEF with cast parts but I really am not a big "reproduction" fan. I'll try and explain:

You have your Dad's old shotgun. It's in bad shape and needs a LOT of repairs. You take it to a gunsmith and he says...."I can do a LOT of work on this gun, but no matter what it will not be as good as an EXACT REPLICA that I can make for you that will be perfect."

Do you get the "replica" or do you have him fix your Dad's gun to the best of his abilities. I take Dad's gun.

I look at taxidermy work as a snapshot of a MEMORY. NOT a "trophy". Would you want a picture of your kid's graduation with a look alike "stand-in" that didn't have a Zit that day??

Reproductions have their place but not as the "standard" of fish taxidermy IMO.

9. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

It does if you do it right. One of the greatest skills a taxidermist can have is knowledge of anatomy. While LCR's are generally nice, they are not correct. There are issues with every one I've gotten, and if I were to compete with one there would be a TON of work to get it up to snuff. Same goes for any other manufacturer, you are not buying a competition quality blank from anyone. Another extremely important taxidermy skill is sculpting. There will be a lot of sculpting when finishing a replica, even a LCR. To me the skill set is the same. To finish a competition skin mount or replica you have to be skilled in anatomy, sculpting, painting, design and composition and molding and casting. Really, the only difference is skinning and fleshing, and many times that is done when making a replica as well.

10. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

Bravo.

11. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

(takes bow)

12. People tend to make a "Case", for whatever their "Bread and Butter" is.
    Cole has made some good points. Lets be honest...to do a competiton Quality job, skin mount, partial skin/ cast parts or full replica you will incorporate many skills, overlapping traditional or modern taxidermy....
    Goes back to the money. You promote the market you target. Or a combination there of..

Joey, prayers sent for a Cancer survivor. That is a priority without debate.

13. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Perhaps that's why I see the similarities. I do both for clients, and I compete with both. I'm not fearful that one will take business away from me, because they are both my "bread and butter." Having competed successfully with both, I can honestly say there isn't much difference.

14. AnglingArtisan

AnglingArtisan Well-Known Member

Me too and my MEMORY of the fish I caught was as if it was pulled FRESH from the water with fleshy fins and no head shrinkage ;)

15. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

I love boiling pots that don't need stirring. Who's next? [​IMG]

16. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

I've got to go change the oil in my truck. I probably should take it to a mechanic but I think I'll just do myself, afterall, it is just a bolt and a filter, and if I use a funnel I'm sure I wont make too much of a mess. What the hell am I thinking, I dont even own a truck!

17. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Thumbs up!!!

18. Joey Arender

X2

19. JE

JE Well-Known Member

I personally could not give a rats ar*e what I am called, it is the finished product that counts, and if (one day) I do a replica that a customer mistakes as a skin mount , you can call me a model maker all you like !
    John

20. Joey Arender

Perca |||. Read between The lines.