1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

competing with fish(replicas)

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Joey Arender, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Gee, I just can't figure out why we aren't connecting. Maybe it's because to me it seems you are arguing with yourself?

2. dougp

dougp Active Member

OK.......it's been fun ;D

I guess I didn't realize was arguing.

I thought I was [trying] to have a discussion.

Some of you guys have very selective reading habits.

I should've realized I was wasting my time.

::) ::) ::)

3. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Arguing was a poor choice of words, it is just a discussion. It just seemed a little contradictory to me.

4. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

Ok... boy I sure have a way of stirring a mess. And I don't know why or how we got to replicas aren't taxidermy. I think; however, had my original post had simply asked what i was intending it to, then maybe we wouldn't have gotten here. So for those interested here are my original thoughts as I meant for them to come across.

I have seen a lot of replicas in the taxidermy shows I have been to lately, in both professional and masters categories. Both purchased and custom cast. I am of The understanding that some states have mo rules against it . I also dont personally care what anyone else is using But my only thought and reasoning behind this post is...Would anyone care to share what someone would have to gain / experiance or learning wise by entering a purchased replica in "masters" ?
    Thank you

5. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

Nothing. It would basically be a painting contest. BTW, I was the one that started the "not taxidermy" part of your original post.

6. Joey Arender

No worries as life is really proving to be way to short

7. Harum

Harum Active Member

Geez Joey, your starting it over again :D

Dependent upon the judge:
    They might learn what is wrong with the replicas they buy and what to look for.
    They might learn some techniques on how to apply paint.
    They may learn what to look for in their reference.
    They may learn if they are prepping the replica properly and possibly how if they are in need.
    They could learn how to set eyes and fins properly
    They could learn how to display a piece compositionally.

Depending upon who would be at the show they could learn anything, Taxidermy related, from painting techniques to a good way to aggravate a skin mount artist... Just kidding Doug ;)
    They just might even learn how to create a replica themselves.

-Pete

8. Joey Arender

LOL Pete ..remember I am very young as far as this competing stuff goes. But I was just kinda figuring that one would have learned all that, in the professional category. But I guess they might consider they will get judged better or harder or whatever you want to call it in the masters and learn more???

Thanks

9. Harum

Harum Active Member

The Masters category is not the perfect category and in my limited experience I have seen a few that should pay attention to the judge. Besides, if an individual is entering a bought replica in the Masters category it would stand to reason there are a few things they need to learn. Another angle, that I believe you are pointing out, is the more in-depth critique acquired in the Masters category and that just might be what the individual is after to better their business.

-Pete

10. Joey Arender

well that makes since. because now both critiques I have got in the masters category were sure deep

11. JE

JE Well-Known Member

Sorry to be one of the ones that high jacked your thread Joey,
    I have opened a new thread in the Taxi industry section
    John

12. AnglingArtisan

AnglingArtisan Well-Known Member

A question for the SkinHeads:
    Should someone that does just reproduction fish be allowed to come on a "Taxidermy" website and share tips, techniques and photos of our deviant ways?
    Should those of us that take part in these taboo practices offer our products(fake plastic fish) to a community of taxidermists and further add to the tainting of your traditions?
    I like what Jonn C. said about grinding our own paint pigments, etc....I mean where do you draw the line?

13. dougp

dougp Active Member

Geeezzzz....Rich!!

No one said anything about "deviant ways"...or "taboo practices"!! You say "the tainting of our traditions"......WOW!! ??? ??? Where did THAT come from??

I do replicas.....I also dabble in wood carving.

None of these are looked down upon! I just don't believe you can call that "taxidermy". That's all! ;D

Why do you seem offended with the concept that replica work is not considered "taxidermy" by many? I don't get it ??? ???

You brought up the "wildlife artist" title. I think that's great!! If a person can hold the title of "wildlife artist" why would you want to be included in the realm of lowly taxidermist's ???

I hope you said that "tongue in cheek" and aren't really offended....

You're work, along with so many others on here, is inspiring to many "taxidermists" AND wildlife artists"........me included.

I'm very sorry if some of you guys take offense to the position that I and others have taken on the definition of "taxidermy."

But I'll stick with it.....I think words need meaning and definition.

DougP ;D ;D

14. dougp

dougp Active Member

BTW....I am not a mold maker.

I greatly admire the work being done by those who are.

In another thread many months ago about a similar topic I had said that I believe, for a personal trophy of mine, that perfect "mount" would be a custom replica made from the fish I caught.

That would be the ideal for me......I would have to depend on a "mold maker" or "replica artist" or whatever......to do that for me.

However, I wouldn't call that "taxidermy".

Just me sayin'........

DougP

15. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Now that is a funny statement!

**Why do you seem offended with the concept that replica work is not considered "taxidermy" by many? I don't get it**

You are right....you don't get it. And your use of the word "many" does not reflet this website, taxidermy associations, etc.

You are in the minority here...don't you get it?

99.99% of the public if polled would say it is taxidermy. Most taxidermists would say it is taxidermy.

It is taxidermy because the replica came from a REAL specimen. Now a model maker or sculptor just makes the stuff up.

:)

Kerby...

16. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

I think Doug might live to close to Chicago! LOL Most of us in Illinois don't claim Chicago because it's like a foreign country. LOL ;D :p 8)

17. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

99.99% of the public doesn't have a clue what taxidermy is, as does a good percentage of people calling themselves taxidermists.

Kinda like fishing, 10% of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish.

Replicas, although not traditional taxidermy, do have a place in our industry. If someone does only replicas and no skin mounts at all, then technically they are not taxidermists. do any states require a taxidermy license to do replicas? That may be a way to put this one to bed.

PB

18. Brian Claar

Brian Claar New Member

Rich should be offended. IMO He spends a lot of time setting up fish and MOVING skin (taxidermy) to produce a quality replica. He is doing the work him self and it should be considered taxidermy. Molding your own fish and fish parts is NOT something everyone can do well .

If your working on a reproduction molded from a real fish, it's taxidermy.

If your working on reproduction Sculpted by someone, it's ART.

19. dougp

dougp Active Member

You guys are real sweethearts :-* :-* LOL!! ::) ::)

OK Kerby.....I DO get your point...I just don't agree with it. AND many others I've talked with feel the same as I do.

So I'm in the minority here?????? Just how do you know that??

As far as the public being informed about taxidermy......give me a break!! WE can't even agree on what taxidermy is ....isn't it up to us to set the standard??

AS far as the "replica came from a REAL specimen". That just doesn't make it taxidermy since the MAJOR part of the work involves MOLD MAKING , the resulting product is a reproduction having nothing of the original skin except an image or likeness in resin.

A photographer does essentially the same thing. If he takes an image of a fish or reptile or gorilla and tweaks that image to correct imperfections is THAT also to be called taxidermy????

I think NOT!!

Maybe YOU don't get the concept and just want to change the definition to fit your image of what taxidermy "Should Be" and NOT what it really is.

I guess we will agree to disagree....

Dan...thanks for the great informative post ::) :D

DougP

20. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Doug only a guy from Illinois truly appreciates comments like that. :p