1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

competing with fish(replicas)

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Joey Arender, Jun 21, 2011.

1. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

the problem is , is that someone is always changing the definition of something. It's gotta be a Democrat thing. Hey, it is what it is! Skin mounts are taxidermy, repros aren't! You know, you;re either with us, or you are against us! George W. Bush

2. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Ok DougP....I respect your position. "Nuff said....still only friendly barter...lol

Yep...Mike is pretty good !!! Makes me proud.

3. The thing I find amazing is that this same topic will occur on this forum again in a few months or so...with the same people giving the same opinions ??
    Now, what if I did some skin mounts in the past, now do mostly custom or commercial replicas, but may do a skin mount every once and a while...Am I a "Wildlife Fish Artist" or a "Taxidermist" ? and which of you really care ?

4. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

You are bi-polar. :D

In the end NONE of us really care what the other guy thinks. We just do what we do. This conversation would be hilarious at the "convention" in the wee hours.

I have met enough guys to know that none of us are what we seem on the taxi net. Usually the seemingly most militant are the least.

5. Jim...I would have to agree..LOL !!

6. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

So I'm not a prick? LOL

7. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Who said that? LOL ;D

8. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Maybe IL is different, but here in MO he absolutely would have to have a taxidermy license to do what you are describing.

9. dougp

dougp Active Member

Cole......IL is different in a LOT of ways.... :p :( ::) ;)

10. AnglingArtisan

AnglingArtisan Well-Known Member

OK Doug...can we agree on this?
    Although reproduction work isn't "Taxidermy" in the purest sense(except possibly custom molding; since the fresh specimen does have to be manipulated and moved,posed, pumped, probed, pinned, scraped, dried...lots of "moving skin" involved.)
    As far as someone purchasing/painting a commercial blank refering to what they do as "taxidermy", can we accept that this is done because of the familiarity of the word with sportsmen and not because they actually think that they are mounting skin ?
    I think this has all been said already somewhere in the thread.
    Seems fair to me.

11. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Only if no one buys your paint.

No takers on the shot gun question....I at least thought one of you smart alecks would pull out the "I hate my Dad" card ;D

12. dougp

dougp Active Member

Rich, you have a terrific ad for "Angling Artisan" in your post.

The ad also says "Top Quality Fish Reproductions".

Nowhere do you mention taxidermy. I think it's a very effective ad explaining what you do.

You do EXCELLENT replica work & mold making which sets you apart from most "taxidermists".

You and those like you are "unique".

You can call replica work whatever you like. I just expressed my opinion on what I consider the differences between skin, hybrid skin [;D] and replica.

If your customer wants to believe a replica IS taxidermy that's fine....until he tries to tell ME that it's taxidermy.

Then he and I will have a talk... ;D :D

It's all good Rich, we all just want happy customers.....bottom line.

I just visited your website.....beautiful work!

The only mention I found of the word "taxidermy" was from your customer endorsements. They obviously believe reproductions to be taxidermy.

You never mention any of your reproduction work as being "taxidermy' or "taxidermy art".

I think you have it right as an "Angling Artisan"

All the best,

DougP

13. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Yeah Illinois sucks.

Illlinois has 2 things to be proud of, it's veteran programs and it's whitetail hunting. Sums up the only thing worth a shit in this state. ;D

14. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

That because you took Pauls Prick Card ...LOL

how is that even anywhere the same thing. I will take a perfect copy of a fish I just caught out of the lake any day of the week, But I would only take the real gun of my dads, due to the sentimental value. A fish skin means nothing to me, if a real copy can be made of it..which in the hands of someone like AA it can be. However, if my dad just bought a gun, and I like it and could have a perfect copy of that, I would. ;D

15. dougp

dougp Active Member

Joey......I mounted my son's fish fish he caught by himself when he was 3 1/2 years old. I was wading with him inside my waders.

It was a bluegill at LEAST 3" long. ;D ;D

That was 35yrs. ago. he still has that fish in a case in his house along with other memoribilia.

THAT fish has as much sentimental value as Jim Tucker's example of grandpa's shotgun.

The mount is not as good as a replica that could be made today [not back then] but it IS THE FISH he caught and handled......THAT has a value unequaled by resin.

If you don't get that connection....I understand why you don't place a value on a skin mount and their meaning to a customer.

I'm more comfortable with my understanding of taxidermy and what it represents.

DougP

16. Joey Arender

nope Doug I get that perfectly..However ,I didnt see where Jim said anything about it being an old mount turned into a COPY..I missed that I guess...Sure if my dad had an old skin mount I would want that over a copy...just as I want the real gun that was my grandpas... I still dont see what that has to do with any of this. If he had and old replica I would want that too.

17. Joey Arender

oh and a lot of customer I talk to about replicas, only wanted a skin mount because they thought reproductions cost were way more... so there you go, its just about the $$$ LOL

18. dougp

dougp Active Member

Fair enough Joey.......I guess if my grandpa had a replica he valued, I would value and want that to when he passed.

My skin mounts are more than my replicas but I do way more skin. Probably has somethin' to do with my sales technique ;) ;) :D

DougP

19. Joey Arender

well If I was a better salesman/taxidermist, :eek: :D I have mine priced the same. Around here its all about how much . I truly love doing skin mounts. I just think replicas are more accurate.. and choose to try and sell them

20. AnglingArtisan

AnglingArtisan Well-Known Member

I like what Josh Knuth had to say about "The Real Thing" back in 2007
    words of wisdom right here...

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2007, 01:56:28 PM »

2. "But it isnt really my fish"
    I always ask, what makes your fish real? the skin?
    then i explain "when a taxidermist does a skin mount they remove 99% of your fish and discard it. then they have to put what the have left back together. this takes guess work and leaves room for errors. so you end up with 1% of your fish put together as close as we can to looking like the real thing. often times using commercail parts that come out of a factory, so your bass is in the same exact pose as the bass your neighbor has. maybe its even the same size eventhough yours was a half an inch longer but i couldnt find a form that fits so i used the closest one i could find. Is this your fish?
    Or I could take your fish make an exact copy of it in the pose you like. the dimensions will be identical to your fish. it will have better details, and every dent and dimple on your big bass's face will be copied axactly where it was when you cought it. Then i can paint it to look just like your fish. And in 40 years when your grandkids come over to visit and they ask you to tell the story about that big bass on the wall, you can point up at a mount that looks as good as it did the day you got it back from me, while you neighbors bass is sitting in the garage because his wfe made him take it down because it was starting to look gross. Now what do you think about that even though its not really 1% of your fish"
    9 times out of ten the go with a reproduction