1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

competing with fish(replicas)

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Joey Arender, Jun 21, 2011.

1. AnglingArtisan

AnglingArtisan Well-Known Member

BTW
    Doug thanks for saying all those nice things about me...I really don't deserve it :-[
    Your skins are as well some of the nicest around...you are among a select few :)

2. M.T.

M.T. Active Member

that is why I carve all of my own fish bodies ! Rich, you do great work, DougP, you are at the top of the game! I thought I was always at the top of the game up till a couple of years ago, now I am second(lol). Seriusly though, I feel I can mount a fish as well as anyone out there. The painting has come a long way, that is where I stopped acheiving perfection. I cant make any money if I have hours and hours into a paint job on a fish, so I mastered an almost perfect paintjob that takes less than an hour on most fish. It's all about airbrush control, I haven't tried Borkowski's paint yet. but that is next on my list.

3. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Wow, the fastest and the best. Your mother must be proud. ;)

4. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

Rich I am glad you found that post by Josh. That very well may be the best it's been explained. Lol Cole

5. Buaahaha... dredging up the past. lol

I do want to say a few things about what i wrote.
    A skin mount done well, can last a lifetime. And some fish I believe are often better served as a skin mount with replica parts. Some softer skinned and softer fleshed fish are down right nearly impossible to mold and get competition quality symmetry.
    It all comes down to the skill level of the person doing the work.

At this stage I would almost rather see a custom replica or well done skin mount over some of the snap tight fish models I have seen on the market. I am afraid the newer generation is lacking the problem solving skills to do this art.

I think most taxidermists (or to borrow a term of a friend of mine who does museum work uses) "Plastidermists" need to ask themselves.
    If all you had was what you could buy at the hardware store and walmart could you produce a high quality replica or skin mount? That means No pre made blanks, no fancy supplies to make it easier.
    Would you be able to do it? If not, its time to go back to basics and learn how. Otherwise we are looking ahead at a dead art.

I am not saying the suppliers and tools and tricks dont help, they do and if you want to be profitable you will likely need to use them.
    What I am saying is Its not the tool as much as it is for the reason for the tool. Many people know what they need to do, but they dont know why they need to do it.

As for the is it taxidermy or not?
    I am staying away from that. lol It reminds me of my Art school days when people debated Illustration and Art.
    I got work to do :D
    Have fun gang
    lol

6. JE

JE Well-Known Member

Damn Josh , you just threw in another word , so who out there is a "Plastidermist" LOL
    It matters not anyhow, IMO the way things are heading now in 10-15 years there will be no more skin mounted fish to be arguing over, all catch and release. So better stock up on those molds ;)
    John

7. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

Taxidermists, hacksidermists, plastidermists, fish heads, skin heads, wildlife artists and model makers [size=14pt]UNITE! ;D Our colleague Cecil Baird had a very appropriate signature;
    "A man is 3 things; Who he thinks he is, Who others think he is, and Who he really is." [/size] [​IMG]

8. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

I do not think that is going to be the case. I am devoting more time and resources to our skin mount division, and it continues to rebound form the recession. There is still a great value in skin mounted fish, and I expect that to continue well into the future....I am building my career on it .

I do not see replicas taking over traditional fish taxidermy, nor do I think replicas are the end product of fish taxidermy evolution.

9. AnglingArtisan

I think it's kinda funny how some people are so radical about putting the real skin on their wall as it holds more "sentiMENTAL" value.
    I mean do these same people actually cut off their children's hands and feet , dry them out and put them up on the mantel? or do plaster/bronze casts help us to remember them just as well?
    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

10. AnglingArtisan

coming soon:
    NORMAN BATES' &"BUFFALO" BILLS'& HANNIBAL LECTERS'
    MOTEL, TAXIDERMY AND SNACK SHOP
    :D :D :D :D :D :D

11. JE

JE Well-Known Member

"I do not think that is going to be the case. I am devoting more time and resources to our skin mount division, and it continues to rebound form the recession. There is still a great value in skin mounted fish, and I expect that to continue well into the future....I am building my career on it .

I do not see replicas taking over traditional fish taxidermy, nor do I think replicas are the end product of fish taxidermy evolution."

Aron, I sincerely hope you are correct and the "do gooders" don't get their way. (but its happening now in the UK)
    John

Perca,
    "Taxidermists, hacksidermists, plastidermists, fish heads, skin heads, wildlife artists and model makers UNITE! Grin Our colleague Cecil Baird had a very appropriate signature;
    "A man is 3 things; Who he thinks he is, Who others think he is, and Who he really is."
    x2
    John

12. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

I doubt they rip there kids from the lake or river on a hook and line either.

PB

13. A- Fish

I have never ran into anyone that was radical about it---they just appreciate the craftsmanship and value the real skin being used.

I have however ran into people that are radical about only getting replicas done for C & R reasons, and a number of wildlife artists who only do replicas that dislike skin mounts--and will bash them whenever possible.

14. AnglingArtisan

I assume your talking about me Aaron but I may be wrong.
    I was inspired by my father's skin mounts that he did in the 70's that were hanging on the walls through out my childhood.
    I began my career with skin mounts, I repair skin mounts, I have done a few here and there since I've put my focus more on reproductions and I'll actually be starting on one for a customer tomorrow.
    I dabble in the skin too so don't put me in that group please and thank you.

15. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

"taxidermy" when broken down originated as the movement or classification of "stuffed" skins into categories...had nothing to do with the actual "stuffing" of the skin itself

16. A- Fish

I am not referring to you or anyone in particular.