1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Salt dried hides

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by little elk, Jun 23, 2011.

1. little elk

little elk Member

SD
    I don't mean to start a big debate, however, I have a question on salt dried hides. After the regular two 24 saltings do I need to allow the hide to dry until hard, or can I put it in a pickle right away?

Thanks in advance

2. As soon as it stops draining moisture you can put in the pickle. I hardly ever dry them all the way when tanning myself.

3. little elk

little elk Member

SD
    Thanks DS. I usually don't have that problem as I am busy with other projects. This time of year things get a little slow and I'd rather be busy. Thanks again.

4. I'd still rehydrate them, it won't take long. The looser the skin is when it hits the acid the better, see Doug Bridges thread on here. We have a lot of taxidermists that do their own deer and we get the heavy and greasy stuff, more than one have asked about getting skins that are looser and shave easier, once they start re hydrating their wet salted skins they shave a lot easier.

5. X2 what Keith said. I always bring them back with brine soak first, only takes a quick soak to get them loose.

6. little elk

little elk Member

SD
    Thanks again to both of you. I guess I'm better off to take a little time to make sure it is done right.