1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Spalted Maple Pedestal

Discussion in 'For Sale' started by peedeedeer, Jun 23, 2011.

1. peedeedeer

peedeedeer Bridges Custom Woodwork swampbuck32@yahoo.com

although this piece is sold,i wanted to show it in case somebody else would be interested in something like this. i ocassionally get my hands on this material and will post when i get more.i will definately be looking next trip to the sawmill. thanks for looking. John
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. What an amazing looking wood! The grain and patterns are so intricate.

3. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

What speciese of wood is that and what causes that coloration? Is it like rotten?

4. peedeedeer

that is maple. it is not rotten,very solid. the coloration comes from the log laying out in the weather long enough for the bark to fall off and getting wet from the rain a drying out over and over . this log was cut for about 3 years before being sawed into lumber. every log is different , so the next one may look the same or totally different. it happens quicker if the tree dies before cutting it down.

5. That is a beautiful piece. I love the wood grain!!!

6. Southland Taxidermy

Southland Taxidermy Join your State and National Taxidermy Association

what would a pedestal like that cost?

7. northernmontana

northernmontana Active Member

That is really nice. Price also please.

8. Will all species eventually do this? I will be cutting down some Maple, Cherry and Ash. I'd like to try to get some of the maple to turn out like this and maybe some of the Ash and Cherry too if it would work.

I love your bases by the way. When I get around to doing some of my own pieces for the show room, I'll be giving you a call. Sooner if I get some interested clients.

9. Michelle_Nelson

OK I have another stupid question. I know there are several different species of Maple. Which speciese is that? Does it matter? Is it just like your average Big Leaf Maple?

10. peedeedeer

ok, as far as price, this is a 18x30x30h pedestal, goes for 400.00 plus shipping. for the standard 16x16x30 size ,it would be 300.00 plus shipping. that is when i can get more material.i will let everybody know as soon as i find some more. hopefully next week. as far as the species, this is our most common here, red maple. as far as ash and cherry, i cant say for sure if it will color like that, each wood is different. i have seen some spalting in walnut, but mainly in the sapwood. also, pecan will get spalting in it. from what ive seen , the maple has the most color though.thanks for all the great comments, this will just make me look harder for more material. lol. John

11. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

I can't wait to get mine :)

12. kritter kreations

kritter kreations New Member

John, let me know when you get some more of this lumber, thanks, Phil

13. shedder

shedder New Member

This is the wood I would like my bases done in per our email yesterday!
    Thanks,
    Matt

14. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

I just recieve a custom base from him yesterday made of this and WOW :eek: is all I can say. It "might" have been here 30 minutes before I just "had" to start on my latest project. The character of that wood is AWSOME and exactly what I hoped for if not more.

THANKS !!!

15. pretty sweet lookin.

16. peedeedeer

Thanks to all for the great comments. here is a pic of another i just finished. if your interested in one of these, just let me know. thanks for looking. John
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Michelle_Nelson

How much is the one in the picture? Size?

18. duxrus

duxrus Active Member

I will second that ? How much for one to add to the base you just made me....a PM would be fine.

19. peedeedeer

the one pictured is an 18x18x30, and goes for 325.00 plus shipping. that particular one is sold. i can do more as i get more material. pm sent Brian.

20. Well I learned a new word today. Never heard of spalted before. That is some crazy wood and really neat peds.

Bruce