1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

HOME TANNING SECRETS?????

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by NICKYG, Jun 25, 2011.

1. NICKYG

NICKYG "IS IT ALIVE, OR WAS IT MOUNTED BY GLORIOSO?"

Hello All!!!

I was just wondering if you all would like to share some of your Home Tanning Secrets/Advice... It seems that since I moved from MONTANA back to The East Coast (VERMONT) I have been having lots of problems tanning my Skins--Primarily Whitetail Buck Capes... I also tan my small game skins/Capes just as long as it is Not for a Rug Mount...

This Is how I tan My Capes---

1. I take a Salted Cape, and Mix Tap Water per the Directions on the Mc Kenzie Ultimate Acid Salt/Walter/ Bacteriacide in a 30 gallon plastic Tub -- Mix Thoroughly..

2. I Add the cape with a plywood board on top of the cape/capes with Cinder Blocks as weight to submerse cape well

3. I keep capes in pickle solution for usually 2-3 days then drain skin above pickle bath where most of the pickle is out of the skin to shave on Rawhide Fleshing Machine

4. I shave the skins nicely on the Fleshing Machine and return back to pickle ASAP to continue pickling what was not penetrated for maybe a couple of more days depending on size of skin--Elk I leave in pickle Longer

5. After this pickle, I Rinse the capes in cool water to get most of the pickle out..I also wring out lightly

6. I neutralize the capes in Baking soda per directions in maybe 5 gallons of water for 20 mins to 30 mins

7. I take out of neutralizing solution and usually tan with Mc Kenzie Tan, Liqui Tan, Or Lutan F and Oil as Needed.. ( P.S. I have also used Krowtann with Excellent results--But their directions are different than what I am Telling You)

8. I let tan(rub on) Soak into the skin for at least 4 hours then put in freezer after labelling plastic bag the customers name...

9. Since I tan some stuff at home and Not in the Shop, I usually rinse off the cape in cool water the day of mounting and drain( Hang Dry for a while) Then When I get to the shop, I put the cape/capes in my 55 gallon powered Tumbler with Hardwood Sawdust and final shave cape after tumbling for maybe 15 minutes or so

ANY SUGGESTIONS/ADVICE/ETC??????? I think I am Going to INVEST in a Powered P.H. Meter(Battery Powered) Because I am thinking that The problem may be in my PH Test Strips I use---

THANKS, Nick 802 733 2590

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Step for step, that is the same way I process my tanning, except the wood and blocks,, those are not needed, and I have no issues. What are you talking about when you say that you are having problems?

3. Bruce_Rittel

Bruce_Rittel Consultant Services

I'd suggest forgetting about the plywood board plus the cinder blocks on top of the pickle (Step 2) to hold the capes under. You're taking a chance the pickle may be influenced by the alkalinity of the cinder blocks or the plywood - plus the capes will pickle - just turn them over 1-2 times each day and make sure the pH of the pickle is right!

4. This Is how I tan My Capes---

1. I take a Salted Cape, and Mix Tap Water per the Directions on the Mc Kenzie Ultimate Acid Salt/Walter/ Bacteriacide in a 30 gallon plastic Tub -- Mix Thoroughly..

YOU DONT NEED THE BACTERIACIDE the acid at a pH of 2 will kill the bacteria.

2. I Add the cape with a plywood board on top of the cape/capes with Cinder Blocks as weight to submerse cape well

The cinder blocks are calcium carbonate i.e. limestone and are raising the pH of the acid bath. You dont need the plywood. it is ok for a hide to float.

3. I keep capes in pickle solution for usually 2-3 days then drain skin above pickle bath where most of the pickle is out of the skin to shave on Rawhide Fleshing Machine

Do you stir the capes a couple times a day?

4. I shave the skins nicely on the Fleshing Machine and return back to pickle ASAP to continue pickling what was not penetrated for maybe a couple of more days depending on size of skin--Elk I leave in pickle Longer

Do you stir the capes and are you crowding them???? If you crowd them the acid cannot get to them hide, check the pH daily or twice a day as the acid seems to go away.

Where is the tanning agent??????

5. After this pickle, I Rinse the capes in cool water to get most of the pickle out..I also wring out lightly

WHY????????? Go into a clean water with baking soda to neutralize!

6. I neutralize the capes in Baking soda per directions in maybe 5 gallons of water for 20 mins to 30 mins

This should be fine!

7. I take out of neutralizing solution and usually tan with Mc Kenzie Tan, Liqui Tan, Or Lutan F and Oil as Needed.. ( P.S. I have also used Krowtann with Excellent results--But their directions are different than what I am Telling You)

Drain and wring out the water, apply the tann

8. I let tan(rub on) Soak into the skin for at least 4 hours then put in freezer after labelling plastic bag the customers name...

9. Since I tan some stuff at home and Not in the Shop, I usually rinse off the cape in cool water the day of mounting and drain( Hang Dry for a while) Then When I get to the shop, I put the cape/capes in my 55 gallon powered Tumbler with Hardwood Sawdust and final shave cape after tumbling for maybe 15 minutes or so

I nolonger tumble capes. or even rinse. I just mount them up and shampoo lightly then set up to dry.

5. NICKYG

THANK YOU!! I guess that is how I was trained 12 yrs ago or so, except he used to use plastic weight lifting weight to submerge skins under pickle.. we used to tan 10 capes at a time, so weight was needed per his advice Thanks, Nick

6. new2thegame

new2thegame New Member

to keep the hides submerged use one gallon plastic jugs filled with water to hold them down, you can use a hard plastic screen or a plastic crate with the jugs placed inside .

7. You need a proper set of instructions as you have described using 3 different tanning chemicals! Lutan F or equivalent should be basified AFTER tanning not between the pickle and tan as you have described. PM me for the recipe I use with a liquid version of lutan F .

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Respectively,, why not? I do it all the time, it lessons the shock of dropping a full acid load directly into the baking soda bath. The reaction of acid and baking soda can curl hair. It is only a quick dip to remove the acid from the hair side, not a soak. Never gotten acid swell ever doing this.

9. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

Salt dry

rehydrate in water if its iffy add a tiny splash of acid or a pinch of salt. too much salt slows rehydration and i dont feel its needed on good capes.

Im picky so i dump out the water after skins soften up and release the blood and gunk and fill the tote up a second time.Doing this my pickles stat clean and balanced

Mr T made me realize DONT PANIC ABOUT WEIGHING DOWN CAPES IN THE PICKLE swash them around a few times per day. Once its pickled a while its safe even if a small part sticks out. I had one of my personal capes out of the pickle over night before i shaved it with no issues

I too rinse my pickled capes in water only with no issues but its a fairly quick rinse then into the soda water

after you neutralize DRY YOUR CAPES not bone dry but get it all out that you can. I spin mine in the washer twice hair in once hair out once and roll in a towel while i get my taning mess set up. 20min -1 hour paint on tan let it sit 2 hours turn over and paint other side let lay 2 hours

roll up loosely and bag put in fridge for overnight freeze or mount the next day

my early issues were too strong of a pickle not enough neutralizing

i hand shaved early on so i wasnt getting them thin enough

get the netralizing right shave then and if you still have issues experiment with different tans. I dont see any issues with your procedures. Specifically, what issues are you having?

Crook's Taxidermy likes this.
  10. NICKYG

THANK YOU ALL!!! Specifically, I was second guessing on my methods, but Quite frankly--I think these knuckleheads out here don't fet me the capes as soon as possible, and In MONTANA, It was always Alot colder there.. I feel that half the capes I get here are on their way to spoiling before I get them-- Just lost another BIG 22" OHIO buck cape that the customer did not "have time or the room in his freezer" and put in his "cool" garage for 5 days before I got it.. (Of course head was still in it) I got on it right away and split/salted, then I put in my last batch of pickle, then MC KENZIE Tanned.. Seemed OK... Then the other day when I was doing my final cape prepping, the face was slipping, and the skin felt slimey-- I did what I could--THE BEST I COULD-- But It Costs the Customer a $145 mistake for a new Big 22' cape tanned..

I am contemplating on sending out all of my green frozen Capes next winter to A place that takes in green capes, and sends em Back ready to Mount--

Thanks, Nick

11. I know some here are going to disagree, but keep you a bottle of the krowtan whitetail formula on hand to use specifically on iffy capes. Stop Rot the face as your skinning, quickly split and turn and knock off big chunks of meat and go straight in the krowtan. I will leave a cape in there for several weeks before removing to shave. Once I get it shaved I return the cape to a normal pickle for a few days before going on to neutralize, wash and tan with OS's Tru Bond 1000. IMO, I have saved several iffy capes that would have never made it through the normal salting/pickle process.

12. The only thing i can suggest, being a beginner myself, is that if you don't already, dry the capes inbetween some of your steps. Wrapping them up in a dry towel and letting them sit for 10 minutes each time. If you dry the cape a bit between steps then it will help things absorb into the skin better. :)

13. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Krowtann is a pickle so why not save $6, drop them straight in acid and get the same results ?

14. NICKYG

I HAVE USED KROWTANN IN THE PAST WITH MOSTLY FAVORABLE RESULTS... ;D I do make sure the capes are drip dry before applying my Tan, before shaving on the Rawhide Fleshing Machine, etc.. I just think that most of my problems are before I get the Capes--Like always, I try to educate customers that they cant show their pride and Joy 14 Pt. 275 lb. Canadian Buck to Everyone in Canada and in the U.S. before they bring it into me, or any other taxidermist for that matter... Bacteria slips in the moment an animal dies-- and Is spread with heat, etc..

15. But would you get the same results Michael? Ive thought about that, but all the instructions and tech advice for many of the brush on tans I have used all stress on how important the salting step is in getting good results. I also think the hide would need to be fleshed really well of all membrane and fat before putting in the pickle.
    The krowtann may just be a pickle, but the strong smell and the smoke that soemtimes rolls off it when you pour it in the measure cup tells me it's a hell of a lot stronger pickle then anything I could mix up. ;)

16. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Are you kidding me?????????????????????????? Formic acid (the main ingredient in Krowtann) will knock you on your ass twice as hard as the miracle in a bottle because it has not been diluted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

OK, question here to you. What are you doing with the capes that come in your shop? I see salted capes in pickle. Are they salt dried or are you salting for a minumin 24 hours before you put them in the pickle? Are you reusing the same pickle time after time?

As for my tans I like only these three, Ez-100 for a soak tan and rub ons are Tru-Bond and Liqua-tan. They are a stable product that doesn't need mixing to insure the chemicals are mixed.

18. hardcase

hardcase I can do all things through Christ.Philippians4:13

NC
    They quit making "cinder" blocks many years back, what people call that is a cement block, and cement is acidic so lose the blocks and use some other weight, liked the idea of jugs filled with water for weight.
    Hardcase

19. HARDCASE , maybe you had better check you chemistry notes , cement is a lime based product , lime = alkaline . For those who take in "IFFY " capes make the client pay for the tanning first then secondly ask them how would they treat the parts of the animal that they intend to eat ? Would they leave in in a "cool" spot for a couple of days before proceeding to cook it ? That is how Australias best knife operater portrays hide care to his customers . These lazy SOB's have to learn how to do their own head caping , I will do the first 1 for a new customer for nothing if they watch and learn , if the drop it off and run it costs them ! It is amazing how an extra $100 can change peoples attitude ! cheers Peter

20. NICKYG

THANK YOU ALL!!! Here is a Picture I just took a few minutes ago of my Beautiful MC KENZIE Tanned 20" AXIS Buck Cape that I tanned using many of your inputs/ suggestions, and I have to give you all a warm THANK YOU!!! I was VERY AFRAID to use the SPIN OUT Technique of the washing machine, but I Did It, and spun the pickled/neutralized cape out for maybe 3 minutes or so, and man, what a difference it made-- I also took out the cinder block weight and board when I was pickling the skin, and checked the ph many times-- also moved the free floating skin several times a day in the pickle to be sure all parts got pickled nicely.. I have to say Thanks also to JASON BROCKMAN of Montana for hookin a brother up with this cape and Nice set of Antlers for a Good Trade...
    P.S. I also ordered a PH Meter on amazon, but when I got it, it said that it was a TDS WATER QUALITY TESTER that test the ppm of water.. Think they may have sent the wrong one??? lol ??? ??? ??? ::) Thanks Again a Million!!! Nick

Attached Files: