1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

HOME TANNING SECRETS?????

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by NICKYG, Jun 25, 2011.

1. A small issue that many appear to have overlooked is that Asiatic deer ~ sambar , rusa , hog & chital (axis) all have solid hair unlike fallow & reds which have hollow hair and thus they like to float . When I do a batch usually 3 - 5 capes I allwaystry to have the falllow or red capes at the bottom of the vat and use the sambar's weight to keep the others submerged . I hope this bit of info makes sense and helps someone . Cheers Peter

2. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

Thanks Nick, I hope it mounts up nice for you. After seeing it now I want it back.LOL that sure is a pretty cape.

3. NICKYG

NICKYG "IS IT ALIVE, OR WAS IT MOUNTED BY GLORIOSO?"

SURE JASON!!! I WILL TRADE YOU THE TANNED AXIS BUCK CAPE FOR THE MERMAID YOU ARE HOLDING IN YOUR PROFILE PIC!!! LMFAO!! ;D

4. Ittybit

Ittybit Member

IL
    I noticed that most paint on the tan then wait 2 hours, turn and paint the other side. I was told to paint both sides then turn skin to skin and let sit for 2 hours. What way is better?

5. NICKYG

NICKYG "IS IT ALIVE, OR WAS IT MOUNTED BY GLORIOSO?"

Personally I paint my skins evenly in one shot, then roll up skin to skin for 4 hours to let penetrate.. Then I freeze it, or put in refrigerator if going to mount the next morning or so..

Thank You

NICK :)