1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

first coyote mount question

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Manderscheidt, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Manderscheidt

Manderscheidt New Member

I am ready to do my first coyote, a pedestal mount with an open mouth. I plan on using a twenty minute epoxy where the skin meets the jaw set. My question is, just how dry does the skin need to be to insure the epoxy will hold tight. The skin is wet tanned, so do I need to dry the part around the jaw and nose in order for the epoxy to take hold?

2. My opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.

Ditch the epoxie and use superglue for gluing the skin to the mouth form and around the nose. With slow set epoxie, you will need to pin and somehow clamp the skin to the form while you scream and piss and moan waiting for the epoxie to set.

With the superglue, just make sure you have the skin pre-aligned prior to gluing.

May the force be with you.

3. Andrew L.

Andrew L. Member

x2

4. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

Super Glue Gel is a little easier to control.

5. Be sure to post finished photos or at least while its drying

6. Manderscheidt

Manderscheidt New Member

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. How about the wet tanned hide, will the super glue gel stick to a damp skin?

When I mount a deer I use hide paste, and I don't have any experience using other types of glue on a wet skin.

7. The skin should be damp when mounting. The damp skin will not effect the glue.

Remember, CA or superglue was developed for gluing cuts and wounds together during war times. It was developed for use in the field. It glues wet things together.

8. Manderscheidt

Manderscheidt New Member

Thanks Doug!

Now I have one more very important question.

It never occurred to me that I wouldn't be able to slide the cape over the open mouth. I already installed the mouth assembly and used bondo to put it in place days ago, so it can't be taken off. Should I have put the prepped skin over the form before putting the mouth in the form? I am guessing there is no trick to fit the neck over the open mouth, which means I will have to open the coyote down the back and sew it?

9. Cut the head off of the form around mid neck, then insert the head portion of the form through the mouth of the skin. You should have enough room for the head portion to fit through the mouth opening.

10. Manderscheidt

Manderscheidt New Member

I thought of that, but was afraid to try it. That is what I will do then, thank you so much for your help!