1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bobcat question

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by okhunter08, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Ok i have a (Beginner) question. I bought a bobcat off of a guy on here. I recieved the bobcat and ordered the form etc. i am in a taxidermy class so i took the cat up there to do. when i went to test fit the cat we all noticed that the cat did not have any whit belly fur and no spots. It is a WA cat so my first thought was maybe just the color for that region. when pulling the hide together the teets on both sides are touching.

The measurements of what i recieved was a 1 3/4 E-N, 35in N-base of Tail and only a 12in Girth Stretched.

Something doesnt add up to me. Does it sound like there is a missing belly?

2. sounds like a young skinny cat I have had alot of 12 in girth on bobcats

3. Do your youg cats have a 35 in length and no spots and no white? i mean if i am wrong i am wrong but the teats are almost touching with pulled together wich tells me that its missing something. but i am no expert, i am really just going off what my instructor and other taxidermists are showing and telling me.

4. I have skinned many cats and have never had one with the teets touching. However there must be some belly fur as the teets are hidden within belly fur.
    Now on the measurements, somethin is not right. A 35 inch cat with 12 inch girt, no way. Must have had some knife slips during skinning and decided to trim off the boo boo's . I would get back with the seller on this and confront.

My 2 cents.

.....................dirt

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I find it very shocking, that anyone would buy a skin off of taxinet, and find it had a flaw,,, just shocking.

6. tex4k

tex4k New Member

I have to ask--- is there a sewn up incision on the belly?

7. Yeah a shocker :) I have had good dealings with this guy and i actually was alittle shocked and pissed when i went to mounting it. Never even thought twice about getting a bad piece from him. I cant even say it was a bad piece, just missing a piece, lol

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

At the shop, we have mounted life size deer that had the sex organs left laying in the gut pile, the whole crotch area gone. It doesnt stop us from mounting it up. Just sew it together.

9. Nope. like i said it was a Ventrical incision, and went folded back together there is no "white" belly fur or spots. Its 12 in girth at best and the teats are touching each other. Didnt seem right to me and i just wanting to ask the question.

10. Well i would except the fact i bought a certain product and kind of expect that certain product. I am trying to learn and maybe build a name for myself and jerry rigging a cat just because doesnt sound like a good idea.

11. tex4k

tex4k New Member

After I read what I posted I had this thought " Tracy you dumb--- it could have been split up belly". Sometimes I can't help myself and the smart--- just bust out. And yes it does seem like there's something missing.

12. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

You may work hard enough to be the best, and customers are still going to bring you train wrecks and junk to mount up. My point is, you make it fit and sew it up. Buying replacement skins doesn't make one a good taxidermist, repairing skins in sad shape does.

13. You may work hard enough to be the best, and customers are still going to bring you train wrecks and junk to mount up. My point is, you make it fit and sew it up. Buying replacement skins doesn't make one a good taxidermist, repairing skins in sad shape does.
    [/quote]

I think i can agree with that T, However, when i pay for something i intend on getting just that or close to it. If the guy wouldnt have fixed the problem (which he did by sending me another cat) i would have played with it. But i had options. i am not so sure a 31 inch "ish" bobcat with a 12in girth with no spots and no white would have looked right no matter what you did except maybe a pedestal or rug...

14. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

I acknowledge your point. That would make for a skinny cat.

15. Mr. T, Your an idiot!!!! Always stating the obvious, but with no useful info!
    Bet you do lots of great work from "My house."

16. That cat is changing every day,it was 35 inches now its 31 ish inches? You really got something!!!

17. Yeah dumb ass i really have something. And the measurement i gave on the lenght was around about measurement. Laid out no stretch was about 31 and I got it stretched longer but your MISSING THE POINT, it was the girth i had questions on.

I sent the cat back and got it straightened out so its a none issue now. Nice to see your coming in a day late and a dollar short and jumping on the band wagon 3 weeks after the post was finished. Its people like you that start crap after the fact.