1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Short hair sewing?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by elkmasterwyo, Jun 29, 2011.

1. elkmasterwyo

elkmasterwyo New Member

I've got a deer cape to mount that is really short hair, the problem i've got is that when it was caped they made the incision they went down the middle just behind the ears and then dove down the side of the neck almost to the front of the neck, then back up to the middle and down the rest of the back. I'm not sure i'm confident in my ability to hide the seam. Any tips or advice?

2. JLong

JLong Member

Geeze how does that happen?

3. Interested in an answer. I know I've seen peopel sew things up with almost no hair like ardvarks and warthogs and elephants and gators, so it can be done!

4. elkmasterwyo

elkmasterwyo New Member

At first i thought wow! Replacement cape time! Then the more i thought about it, the more i thought how will i ever get better without challenging myself

5. I would get it lined up and sew with an invisable stich from the inside and then mount like a short Y.

Bruce

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Replacement capes is for wimps, glad you came around to using what is there. Make it clear when they pick it up, that you are not Houdini,, some things are going to show.

7. elkmasterwyo

elkmasterwyo New Member

WEW, i thought for a second when i saw "MR. T" that i was gonna be in a pickle. But that wasn't so bad!

8. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

LOL,, I use to whine, worry and cuss over split briskets, torn ears, every little nick and cut. Worried about what the customer is going to see,,, ppffftt,,, 97 out of 100 times, they won't see it unless you point it out to them. And I use to do that too, then I learned to just shut up. DO NOT, point out the flaws or repairs, the customer doesn't want to hear that, it is to much information in the wrong direction. If they bring you a train wreck, use your skills to fix what you can, this is not competition work.

9. elkmasterwyo

elkmasterwyo New Member

I know what you mean, the taxi i used to take my stuff to told me the EXACT same thing when i started this! Then i went home and looked at the mounts he had done for me that i "thought" were so "perfecet" wow did i find a thing or two out!

10. BMHET

BMHET Member

I would go with what Bruce said and maybe add a line of clay down the seem and push the seem into the clay.

11. tem

tem Well-Known Member

and remember. a taxidermist can fix any thing. ;)

12. Brent W

Brent W New Member

I would use the hidden stitch and make small stitches. We never seem to get capes without flaws so we learn to deal with em

13. dugart

dugart Doug Smith / D-Sign,LLC. 616-392-3841

I'd think about telling the customer "hey someone sort of goofed up your cape with a super fancy curved cut, it's going to take some extra time on the sewing step so I'll have to charge you (blank) for the repair." It's up to you to fill in the blank. Really, it's going to take more time and skill than normal...isn't it?

14. Oak Leaf

Oak Leaf New Member

They don't call it a baseball stitch for nothing...

Using thick red thread...make those ridiculous curved seams big enough to throw the buck with enough spin for a slider....and next time they'll skin more carefully. LOL

Kidding obviously...My sewing is not up to par yet, but I have tried the hidden stitch with clay...First I dent the form where the seam will lay with a hammer....Then I add the clay along the edges and mush the seam in (nice and even of course).

That works great. I also card over that and pin the carding down all around just to make sure it dries very flat and even.

I don't know about you, but, I hate sewing....so...good luck.

Oh and I hope you charge extra for repairs like dugart said.

15. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Interesting read and a whole lot of bull$hit without a realistic answer. YOU CAN'T SEW WHERE THE SEAM WON'T SHOW ON SHORT HAIRED CAPES. This ain't my first rodeo and I've seen a few "paint job" deer skins along with a few gators, hippos, and rhinos. The secret to that seam NOT showing is the actions you take in finishing it.

I always laugh at that "clay" trough allowing you to push the seam down into. Do any of you really think that the skin's natural drumming quality isn't going to pull that hide up out of soft wet clay? The best way I've found to do this is to "nail" the hide down. After I sew up the seam, I make 10 or 15 "pins" by cutting #10 gauge wire in 4 inch lengths. I sharpen the end and then bend about a quarter inch over in a "L". I slip the point through the seam and drive the "L" over a stitch into the form. That creates a "groove". Let it dry.

When it dries, I take colored Apoxie and fill the "groove". I feather it out to match both sides. Then I take a stiff bristle brush and create the appearance of hair. I groom hair to the side to let it imbed into the epoxy. Then I clipped the hair on the back side of the backboard and carefully implant them in the epoxy. With a bit of Windex over the seam, you can effectively hide any seam this way and with some ARTISTIC airbrush work, no one is going to make an issue of it.

16. Oak Leaf

Oak Leaf New Member

George, I don't expect the clay to hold the cape, but the clay is just to even out everything underneath since that stitch leaves a "ridge". That's also why I hammer the dent into the form to create space for the "ridge". Quality hide paste and pinning/carding everything with the big upholstery pins till dry holds it all in place.

It's acceptable.

Of course we might be talking about different lengths of "short hair". The shortest hair I've mounted is whiteail from the first week of September.

Also, not arguing with you, you're far more experienced and your method sounds like it is better, but that was the only method I knew of that hid a seam well. Just trying to help.

Definitely writing your method down though...

17. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

August South Carolina whitetails can leave you scratching your head, but try a cape buffalo and a plethora of the Africrap out there. Trust me when I tell you that a zebra or a kuda dorsal cut will make you break out in a sweat. I always thought of clay as a taxidermist's St. Christophers medal where he just hoped it worked. I never figured out how to cut the groove to put clay in correctly. All I needed was one cross-eyed skinner who changed directions a few times to make that idea pale anyway. If it works for YOU, that's all that matters.

18. Matt

Matt Active Member

I cut a groove in all of my wts, whether it's long or short haired. I mark the length of the groove when I pre-fit the cape. Making sure the cape fits the form is the most critical mistake most make. I will almost always go alittle smaller on the cape, and rather than try and push the seam into the clay, I concentrate on evening it out before carding it to dry. Another thing is to work some skin up from the sides of the neck towards the seam. Just like you do when setting/shaping your eyes, you have to have some slack. With that said, you still have to be on your finishing game, there is always going to be one that needs alittle attention to make it "disappear".

19. LOL George, these FL deer are like Impala even during winter! :p I pretty much have to do as you said most of the time, finish work is definitely part of the equation.

20. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Maybe...just maybe.... you could smear some of Mike's rock mixture all over the neck to hide it. Maybe go all the way up to the chin.