1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

whitetail maceration - cartilage in nose still there

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Panhandler801, Jun 29, 2011.

1. So, this Friday my thawed WTD head will have been in maceration for two weeks. I'm in FL and it has been around or over 90 degrees every day.

About half of the goodies slid loose by day four. I picke and pulled loose what I could. On day 7, he was 100% clean (no brains, jaw clean,) EXCEPT the cartlige in nose.

I changed almost all the grey sludge (probably my problem) and put it back in so the cartilage woudl hopefully find it's way out. Well, I checked yesterday and water is pretty much clear. I don't think bacteria and maggots are doing their thing.

Tried pulling cartilage out and it broke.... so, it's soft, but it ain't coming out.

Pour a beer in it?

Heat it. I REALLY don't want to heat it.

Suggestions?

Once that cartilege is out, it is 100% ready for some degreasing. No doubt about it. I'm just afraid that I killed the break-down process with that water change at day 7 with a clean skull.

2. I had a steer head like that, just start degreasing, it will come out eventually.

3. If it's that long piece of cartiledge right down the middle of the nose inside, just stick like a thin stick or a screw driver or make a hook out of wire, and shove it up in there and pull it out. Comes out really easy after rotting.

4. don't try to pry it out you will break the nasal bones, try letting it sit in the rot bucket with just enough water to cover for 3 to 4 days, this should get it

5. Yeah, that's the thing I'm talking about.

Problem is, when I put any pressure it, it just breaks at the point where I'm touching it. I can't put any real pressure on it.

I may just go ahead and start the degreasing. Other than the cartilage, it is 100% clean. Pretty sure degreasing is going to be a breeze too. This is my first buck. Have done 5 hogs, though... degreasing this little buck has got to be easier than them!

6. sounds like its almost done anyway

7. Yeah, 10-4. When I messed with it yesterday, I poured out some water in order to keep the antlers dry and the skull is covered about 3/4 the way up... which is just enoguh to cover that cartilage. I'll give it a few more days, and then may put into degreasing. I don't like soaking anything longer than I have to.

8. get a dental pick and hook it at the top and it will pull out.There may be a piece little at the top it will dry up and be fine left in there. BE sure to check behind the ear bones or take them out (this is what I do) there can be a lot behind them.

9. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

I have a pair of real long forcepts, like 10 inch ones that I use to stick in there and pull it out if they ever dont come out.

10. eurosbyRT

eurosbyRT Skull Designs

What Clay said, just start degreasing it and it will come out

11. RICKP

RICKP Let'er Buck

After you take it out of the water, let it sit and start to set up. It will get a little firmer and wont break off when you go to pull it out.
    What ever you do, remember to be careful of the nasal bones.