1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

For all you "artists" out there.

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by George, Jul 1, 2011.

1. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

The following is a weekly electronic newsletter I get from professional artist Robert Genn. Just for giggles, go to the color acuity test and take it. Post your scores here to see how many of you can "cut it" as an artist (I expect the fishhead should be better at this than us mortals). The test is TOUGH and I was a bit shocked to see I'd scored a 53. Try it. Now here's what he says about women artists.

Are women superior?

July 1, 2011

Dear George,

Every day the news gets worse for men. More and more women are taking our jobs--mainly because they're better at them. Apparently, they have superior management, networking and focusing skills. As everyone knows, the wine industry has lately discovered that women have better noses than us--even though ours tend to be bigger. Yep, at tasting, testing and judging wine, women win nose down over purpose-trained celibate monks. Something in women's nosal evolution just turned more refined.

I'm sticking by my prediction that women are going to be the top refined artists by the end of this century. Statistics will prevail--there are now four female artists for every male--the highest percentage in history.

Women are apparently superior in how they see colour. According to X-Rite (the people who supply Munsell colour products), 1 out of 255 women and 1 out of 12 men have some form of color vision deficiency. They've provided a free colour test online that you can access it at http://www.xrite.com/custom_page.aspx?PageID=77&Lang=en. I invite you to take this test and send your result along to me at [email protected] (Please include your gender--apparently there are some men named Susan) Results range from 0 (top score) to about 90 (colour dunce). My score was an embarrassing 40, and so far every single one of the females I've asked to do the test have beaten me. Humiliating. We'll publish an overview of your results and male-female averages in the next clickback.

Networking may be the female trump card. If a woman doesn't know, she often asks someone who does. A man will make it up as he goes along. What passes for imagination in a man is sometimes just a case of stubborn resistance.

Female attendance in learning venues continues to go up. My daughter, Sara, and I are giving a four-day workshop at a trendy vegan retreat called Hollyhock from August 3rd to 7th. Reviewing the final list of our 38 attendees to "Colour, Commitment and Creativity," we find that every single one of them is a woman.
    What does this mean? Are all the men too conservatively bound up in getting and spending to take time to bond, eat tofu and top up their latent creativity? What's the world coming to?

Best regards,

Robert

2. Got a 40 :'(

3. gab

gab Active Member

4. So when the judge tells me I need to blend my paints better, he must be talking abount mixing em up in the bottle(Ha). I new I was color blind anyway. I got a 58

5. I gave it a shot and got a 71. ;D I have low color acuity, probably explains why I was getting yelled at so much in my painting class.

I might try this again later because I just woke up and don't do well when I'm all groggy. Test is tough though.

6. I got 10 :(

7. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

I got a 12. You guys DID read that the LOWER the score the BETTER.

I thought it was a pretty easy test. The REAL trick is to group the HARDER colors towards their ends quickly first. then you can see the differences pretty easily.

This is going to sound TOTALLY sexist but there is a REASON that there are more women artists than male. More women can afford to be more choosy at their profession than men can. Men tend to seek careers where they can make the most money. Women tend to drift towards careers that "satisfy" them. there is NO MONEY in the ARTS unless you are close to the PINNACLE of fame.

I spent 17 years in the medical profession. As nursing students came through I asked them why they wanted to be a nurse...at nearly a 100% pace MEN said "It's a good career for men where I can make a lot of money with a bachelors degree and always have a job." WOMEN said " I always wanted to help people."

Women aren't "better than men" at anything and Vice Versa. Women and men are different because they are EXPECTED to be different. Either sex can excel or SUCK at anything.

8. v.fleming

v.fleming New Member

Just took the test and scored 7.

9. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

21 without my glasses.

8 after a cup of joe

10. kjdouble

kjdouble Member

I scored a 4, pretty cool test George.
    Will make you go crossed eyed though at times
    And by the way I'm a 46 year old male
    Forgot to add I'm a mammal guy not a fish head ! LOL
    KJ

11. scpol

scpol Wholesale Bird Taxidermy....Fan of Mike & Harry

56...That gave me a headache...

12. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

I scored an 18. I've taken a test like this before when I worked at the paint plant an did fairly well.................I guess I'm not color blind! :D :D

13. huntnut78

huntnut78 Member

I got an 11! 32 year old male, gamehead guy, with eyes that are bleeding right now, anyone know how to fix that?

14. I got a 14. I work alot with soil color chips. Not so much the painting.

Bruce

15. PA

PA Well-Known Member

Neat test. I got a 12 but then I have a full Munsell set. The test would have been better if they would have been in a line with the ends fixed instead of being in two rows.

16. huntnut78

huntnut78 Member

Re: Re: For all you "artists" out there.

What's a munsell?

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

17. Munsell is a compnay that makes standardized color ships for soil testing, paint chip boards at the hardware store, artists, etc.

18. huntnut78

huntnut78 Member

Re: Re: For all you "artists" out there.

Gottcha, thought it maybe had something to do with the movie kingpin... But that was Munson.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

19. Tried it again and got a 10. A trick is when you think you have them all lined up correct, move each chip left and right and see if you still think it looks OK. To me it really jumps out at me if I am off a slot.

Bruce