1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Month in Fish Pictures" ~Year 5~ July 2011 !!!!!!!! Happy 4th!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Rick Krane, Jul 2, 2011.

1. wishbone

wishbone New Member

thanks all...........heres a 31" just finished now onto the base

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Smile Wishbone, you did a nice job on that fish. :)

3. wishbone

wishbone New Member

ha thanks....the fish didnt look as good in the pic with a smile..

4. srholmes30

srholmes30 Living each and every day

Nice job wishbone

5. PacWest

PacWest Active Member

Way to go Wishbone and Richard on your beautiful fish.

6. Harum

Harum Active Member

Some great work so far. Rich, I always enjoy looking at your fish. I like the change in how you depict the teeth.

I wanted to share a piece I created to go with a Grizzly. I needed to create a Chum that had a bite mark and blood to reflect the story of a fish brought onto the bank to be eaten. As the Bear sits down he loses control of the Chum. As the Chum flips in the air the Bear makes contact with his paw in an attempt to get the Chum under control again. In the first pics you will see how I handle this contact point. The area that the paw strikes the Chum is at the pectoral girdle. I elevated and twisted this area and sink in the leading area of the gut cavity as a Chum in this stage of its life cycle would have an empty gullet as well as an empty stomach. This replica was created by molding one of my skin mounts.

First pic, the hole at the pectoral girdle has square tubing to accept a square pin.

Attached Files:

7. Harum

Harum Active Member

I added additional muscle tone to the inside curvature of the fish and had less muscle mass on the outside curve. I also started a twist in the peduncle area to reflect the initial contact of the paw.

Attached Files:

8. Harum

Harum Active Member

After covering the eyes the fish is ready to paint. This is also the white base that I would start with for a skin mount piece.

Attached Files:

9. Harum

Harum Active Member

I tend to leave the head for last as it is my favorite part of the painting process.

Attached Files:

10. Harum

Harum Active Member

The finished paint work, ready for the addition of blood.

Attached Files:

11. Harum

Harum Active Member

Intimidating to add red paint to a finished painting. This is the Chum ready to be on display.

Attached Files:

12. Harum

Harum Active Member

Close up shot of the bite area prior to blood.

Attached Files:

13. Harum

Harum Active Member

Closer shot.

Attached Files:

14. Harum

Harum Active Member

And finally a close up of the bite mark with the addition of blood. To get the blood affect I layered Red, Yellow, Purple and green. I also added a bit more gloss in areas after these pics.

-Pete

Attached Files:

15. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

There are chums......then there are Pete's chums....... nothing short of usual. Best in world winner ; )

16. Manny

Manny New Member

Very nice!
    Seeing work like this keeps me going.

17. There is some terrific fish work on this thread! This is my third fish, fish are fun.......... ;D

[​IMG]

18. For **** sakes, I'll try again........maybe this will work the second time.
    [​IMG]][/img]

19. BMW

BMW New Member

Cool stuff. Awesome chum Pete. Always inspiring!
    BMW

20. JE

JE Well-Known Member

A lot of folk might have thrown together a commercial type of fish for a bear display, but that thing is a work of art Pete , your attention to detail is what makes a world champion I guess.
    Very nice , and very inspiring.
    World championships here I come ;D (we can all dream)
    John