1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wolf or Coyote??

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by capreolus, Jul 3, 2011.

1. capreolus

capreolus New Member

Hi, is this ugly thing a wolf or coyote?
    thanks
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. alexm

alexm New Member

How long is it and yes its ugly ;) ;) ;)

3. Jaymic

Jaymic New Member

I'd say it's a yote

4. capreolus

capreolus New Member

i only know this pictures, someone asked if i can make his "wolf" looking a bit better..but i am not sure if it is really a wolf, for me looks more like a coyote..

5. irishme

irishme New Member

DEFINITELY A YOTE ::)

6. muscle20

muscle20 New Member

Looks to me like a Very badly done coyote.

7. If those are 12" tiles on the floor, then it appears to be too big for a yote, in my opinion. And I question the length/broadness of the muzzle as well. Most yotes have shorter/thinner muzzles than that, that I have seen. But I'm sure they vary by locale.

And the eye color looks more like a wolf. (Just kidding! Just kidding! LOL!)

8. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

9. Wolfie101

Wolfie101 New Member

Ears kind of look too small for a yote, so I' gonna go with Dennis ^

10. Jaymic

Jaymic New Member

I think those are 6 inch tiles and if you ad them up it's only about 3 feet long...it's an ugly yote!

11. Jaymic

Jaymic New Member

If those are 12 inch tiles that is a huge room! And you can't judge those badly preserved ears to be big or small. Sorry it's still a yote... Jmo.

12. rut

rut New Member

If those are 6" tiles then it's head is only about 4" long????? It's a wolf.

13. CoyoteKid

CoyoteKid New Member

wolf

14. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

wolf 12 inch tiles, that wolf is 76 inches long tip to tip

15. Jaymic

Jaymic New Member

After looking real close again...you guys are right- wolf,I concede,there is two and a half tiles in the door frame(12 inch) in the second picture.

16. That's why I guessed they were 12" tiles as well.

17. Cathy

Cathy N.E.A.T President

I think it's a wolf

18. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

When we try to identify an animal based on it being mounted, you cannot be fooled by certain sizes and lengths, as they can be altered or goofed up through the mounting process used. You must look at the natural indicators that the taxidermist cannot alter.

Coyotes have longer ears, wolves would have shorter wider ones, thats correct, as Dennis and others mentioned...but...they could be mounted wrong, a common mistake we see a lot.

The muzzle is heavy and wolf like, but it looks like its way over filled and stretched and not natural, compared to the head width between the eyes, for example.

Leg widths again can be botched, as well as eye color as Vicki kiddingly referred to.

To me, I look at things that are real on the animal that the taxidermist wouldnt likely change with the process or poor methods. So, Ill say that I dont see heavy wolf claws or toe nails, which wolves definitely have...so I might assume its got thinner coyote claws, and guess accordingly. A long stretched out poorly mounted coyote it appears...but I wouldnt put money on it, lol.

19. new2thegame

new2thegame New Member

It is a wolf ...in the one picture you can see a door way ,, it is 2 1/2 tiles wide so that would equal 30 inches. There for the wolf is about 4 1/2 long because those tiles are 12 inches.

20. capreolus

capreolus New Member

the guy told me today it is 1,80 m long including tail.. So maybe to large for a coyote,right?