1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wolf or Coyote??

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by capreolus, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Andrew L.

Andrew L. Member

Wolf.

2. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

Your guess is right, It is a wolf. however you logic is flawed. how do you come up with 4 1/2 feet long? that is only 54". you are off about about 2 feet.

a 12" tile is NOT 12" diagonally, it is 17" therefore, look at the pics, it is laying across 4 1/2 tiles which means 4.5 x 17 = 76.5" or 6 ft 4.5 inches.

3. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

LOL didnt see this one. 1.8 m = 71"

I wasnt off by much.LOL

4. new2thegame

new2thegame New Member

yup your right....i just calculated on 12" not including the tail . either way coyotes are just not that big.

5. Yup.

6. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

What the hell do you live in? A doll house??? LOL

7. Jaymic

Jaymic New Member

I'm a taxidermist- I can't afford much!!!;)

8. DROPPINEM

DROPPINEM New Member

Can someone elaborate on the coyote "saddle"?

9. brush wolf

10. taxos

taxos Finches, Buntings

i guess its a european mount so it can only be a Wolf.

11. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Could be, but I have a coyote here hanging off a nail thats not stretched at all, and its still 5'6" . Its got that same tail, and the same "saddle" and hackles most canines have. I havent heard anyone address the claws...

Its clear that some wolves are colored just like a coyote and that some coyotes can get very big. Guess without some proof, we might never know. Meanwhile, you guys enjoy measuring flooring. ;)

12. Measuring flooring....LMAO!! =)

I can't really see the toenails (or are they called claws on a wolf?) in the pic. On my computer, it looks like there aren't any on the front left foot and I can barely make out some black ones on the right front.

13. Bill Yox

Bingo!

Also, I was hoping someone would get a giggle on the flooring measuring joke.

14. new2thegame

new2thegame New Member

Its a wolf. Bill, its ok for you to admit you are wrong sometimes. Its good for the soul.

15. Bill Yox

Oh Im probably wrong more times then I care to admit, but I still will admit it. That skin looked enough like either animal for arguments sake, and was mounted rough enough to continue the argument. These debates are always fun, in my opinion. My soul feels good!

16. irishme

irishme New Member

??? counting floor tile
    hmmmm that scientific
    anytime i have a wolf or coyote come in, before they tell me what it is I'll just lay it down and count the floor tile. lmao ;D ;D ;D ;D

17. new2thegame

new2thegame New Member

Bill I am glad your soul feels good! lol

timberghost, they have to tell you?????? lmao

18. snowhare

snowhare New Member

WOLF , NO QUESTION ABOUT THAT EURO PEAN SMALL CRAPP AS USUAL

SNOWY

19. Intherain

Intherain New Member

That's a coyote. They run that big if not bigger sometimes where I live. And come in ugly like that one, dark, and even seen a few real blonde ones. Seen small, average, and large ones like that one. Sorry guys I'm with bill on this one, that's a coyote :) - very ugly one!

20. I think coyote. Tuff to call but lots of coyotes around here are colored just like that. The claws kinda are a clincher for me but I still wouldn't say I'm very certain. As for the head and ears it looks just 2b poorly mounted. I say a yote lifesize mount that's head looked a bit better and the muzzle and ears were wider than this one and it made the ears look less pointy or long.