1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wolf or Coyote??

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by capreolus, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Did anyone note the location of the post? GERMANY! And the tiles aren't squares, they're rectangles. A request for measurements would make more sense than trying to guess with incomplete information. Just because it's Germany I'm going with the wolf, too. Not too may coyotes there! LOL

2. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

It's Timbo, my neighbor's husky. He looks better with his tail flattened. He was shipped on the nose cone of a fighter jet.

3. What if those were actually 8" tiles. :eek: What now!

4. new2thegame

new2thegame New Member

Then the door way would be 20 " wide and most fat Americans could not fit through! Only the skinny Europeans would be able to see that ugly wolf.

5. K, someone call CSI.

6. Raynewolfe

Raynewolfe TY for understanding things outside our control.

x2, I see coyote markings (yes even the dark and the tail) with a muzzle thats overstretched (surpassing many wolves even).. Matching ntb measurements for this critter with both wolf and coyote furs on hide and fur it is small for an alaskan wolf , close to a canadian wolf, large for the coyotes from like texas, and spot on for many of the coyotes ive seen here in indiana. Or also coydogs and coywolfs. As far as measurements go were all also looking at the room at an angle. If those tiles are 17 diag. than this things tail is like 20" of that measurement! Nothing important, just my 2 cents worth.

7. Intherain

Intherain New Member

Hey old fart, sorry no disgrace that's really the screen name on page 3, he mentioned if anybody noticed if the pic. came from Germany. I didn't notice when I commented but I started looking up Cyotes in Germany. There is a dog around that area that is in the coyote family! I'm pretty sure this might be what it is! Look it up, same markings and everything! GOLDEN JACKAL.....

Love the tile comments by the way! They are funny :)

8. brigham boy

brigham boy "if it's horny, mount it"

utah
    Awful looking

9. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Intherain, from what I read about the Golden Jackal the critter in the picture looks too large. The Golden Jackal certainly looks like a coyote, but the weight range 8-11kg is more on the size of a large red fox.

10. Raynewolfe

Raynewolfe TY for understanding things outside our control.

lol. :)

11. JE

JE Well-Known Member

4 pages of guessing, yet it seems the German owners actually called it a wolf , maybe because they know its a wolf ;)
    john

12. Intherain

Intherain New Member

Hummm, yep I can see what you are saying. Maybe it's a cross between that and something larger. ???After all those live somewhere near there. And they are in both familys of ( coyote and wolf) :D. I bet if it wasn't so poorly done it would look totally different! It's pretty interesting though ;D oh well guess we will never know :mad:

13. ice

ice Active Member

Alaska
    I have a wolf out of Canada, CITES tag and all, that looks like a twin to this one. Wolves/coyote crosses are being seen in Ontario and eastern Canada.

14. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

How do they know? Damn, now they got drive through dna stops? Just funnin with you.

15. Look at the fur! Wolf coloration and the length plus the thickness. Looks like a wolf, very much like the wold hanging in the shop.

16. Mike Powell

Mike Powell Well-Known Member

I would probably go with a wolf as even a stretched coyote wouldn't reach that length, however Bill's remark on the claws is significant. The most interesting thing to me is the comment on a wolf-coyote cross. I believe it is much more common than some may think. I have been following the studies for some years now which is a particularly strong indictment against the scientific (so-called) community. In Texas, the scientists declared the Red Wolf extinct and blamed it primarily on hunting/hunters. The reason they maintain the Red Wolf is extinct is that there are no pure bred Red Wolves left, i.e. all Red Wolves left have some Coyote DNA in them. There are some areas where we have some large, long-legged coyotes with big claws though! In the Northeast, New York and PA for instance, they have found Coyotes with wolf DNA, so they want to say that these are wolves and should be protected and hunting should be banned. The same argument used to declare the Red Wolf extinct in Texas is the argument used as evidence there are wolves in the Northeast. A Red Wolf with coyote DNA is a coyote and a Coyote with Wolf DNA is a wolf????? They further manipulate the facts to try to blame hunters for the one and then to stop hunting on the other. That's science for you!

Sorry, for the twist to the post, but it was a good opportunity to vent a little!

17. grimz

grimz New Member

I like hunting but i am against killing wolves and that looks like a wolf

18. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

LOL You are in the minority. Good luck!

19. I would say wolf too, they are 12" tiles.

20. I am into hunting and am against hunting wolves.
    I would feel better just killing them.