1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Wolf or Coyote??

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by capreolus, Jul 3, 2011.

1. MattsyKun

MattsyKun Member

That's a wolf. Even if it's kinda badly done, the ears and facial structure versus that of a Coyote says it's a wolf.

2. european wolf..all the way... nothing to guess :)

3. elkevo

elkevo Tailgate Bucks

if those were 6 inch tiles that would be a weenie dog wearing a wolf suite. If they are 12 inch tiles which they are,then that is a very big yote or a yearling wolf dead which is great,shoot them all. we have no room for wolves in the lower 48 states,not here inCalifornia where they think northern California could sustain as many as 460 wolves. Heck, we just don't have that many Mule deer left hjere nor many Elk at that,so I guess they will be eating our beef on the ranches all about us here. California claims it is a $100,000 fine and year in jail for shooting a Wolf here,but farmers don't care and I don't either.

4. It looks like a wolf. It's too big to be a coyote and the muzzle is too broad.

5. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Bill....I have eaten lobsters that would stretch across two and a half of those tiles and I have a wet- tanned male coyote full mount hide in my freezer that will closely make the size of this critter. To be honest if you look at the so called doorway in the picture, the left edge looks more like the leg of a table than a doorframe. I can go either way big coyote or small wolf but a real crappy mounting job. Good luck trying to make this creature reasonable looking...lolol JL

6. Yeah.. Wolf... Ugly wolf....
    Found it's cousin.

http://img1.etsystatic.com/il_fullxfull.297698521.jpg

7. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

JL, of course you would know, having done as much as you have. Thats what I was trying to point out many comments ago, that one cant use the shape as a determining factor, hell the guy couldve stretched the skin over a wolverine form, then what would they say about size and shape? After its mounted, the shapes of muzzles, ears, etc cant always be the determining factor...Jean I still like lobster ya know... ;)

8. X2 on the muzzle comment. This may not be coming from a guy who has only mounted one wolf (8 years ago), but I have seen some very poorly done coyotes that the muzzle if viewed from the tip of the nose was more pancaked looking and shorter that it should have been but from the top the whole head looked like the shape of a wolf. If looking at a frozen head it would be a whole different story than a mounted head. Like Bill said about the wolverine form we could find a way to make the hide fit on a variety of shapes that are not natural as long as we got the fit close enough or added here, took away from there, stretched and taxi the skin it's really hard to tell from that pic as far as the head shape is concerned (at least for me). Example you can make a body part look thicker if you shorten it the skin will stretch out width ways more, or you can narrow it side to side or top and bottom and make it look really thick from another angle, est..

9. I would say European Wolf.