1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

WT Deer neck mounts

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by srholmes30, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Jaymic

Jaymic New Member

X2

2. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

Thats kinda different Mike, But I see your point. My reference to that was I think they look stupid and is Not something I would want to hang on my wall. It gets back to it being your shop do what you want. Something like a swamp booger or a jackalope is novelty to me and would be kinda fun to do. you are comfortable in doing those type mounts,(pets) I , on the other hand are not as good as most of you guys and wouldnt feel comfortable doing it. I dont do any mounts for anyone but my self and my kids cause I know I am not ready. but when I am ready I might change my mind.

3. gab

gab Active Member

I've done the macaroni &cheese/ramen nooodle route before and i don't want to go back.if someone wants to give me money,i'll take it,gladly.

4. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    George that is not even a decent comparison. You are comparing what "could be" a standard in the FUTURE to what was a standard many moons ago !
    Would I mount on that mannikin series, don't know. I can't say I would & can't say I wouldn't. So there I answered your question

But I might mount on what is the future of what mannikins will be made out of in the near future. And using your theory, that would be like comparing the future mannikins to the old paper forms, you can't in this case.

5. Heath Cline

Ohio
    And guess which one of those mounts will stand out in the wrong way if its a neck mount ??
    Oh and I have plenty of confidence in my work since you keep bringing it up.
    And how many times do I have to type it BEFORE YOU get it ? I do make money of those short capes when/if they come in. Hell, I make more money off selling them a new cape & mounting it then I would by doing a neck mount for there !! Man I wish more of them would show up ! But thats right I "must be a bad businessman since I don't do neck mounts" haha I would say different since I make more money by selling them a new cape for their mount. And I have never had a client walk out of my shop for ANY reason without leaving their animal with me to mount.
    Oh I wish you did live near me , I would love it !! I could raise my prices again this year !!
    Do you honestly think you would effect my business because you do neck mounts ? LOL
    I just don't see why it is so hard for you to understand how I DO make money by not doing them ?
    Using your theory. I can just see myself delivering a clients 180" neck mount to his trophy room to hang with his other full shoulder mounts. I can just imagine when he has his SCI buddies over to show off his 180" & there is that "great neck mount". How long do you think you are going to keep that client ? And what do you think the chances of picking up his buddies as clients are going to be ? I can tell you, not going to happen !

The way it looks to me is, you are afraid to tell you customers that they screwed up their cape & they need a new one. So to not bring it up & take the chance you might lose the job( which if you were confident in your work, you wouldn't have to worry) , you go ahead & do the neck mount.

Now you tell me. Who makes the smarter business decision here? You by doing the neck mount at whatever price or the taxi who sells his client the spare cape for extra $$ & charges the mount price ? Its just like upgrading a shoulder mount to a wall pedestal or floor pedestal. You are doing it to make more $$

6. Jaymic

Jaymic New Member

I see your point but I guess we will have to agree to disagree:)

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Jaymic, not that it means anything, but I get the feeling there's a helluva lot of others who feel as we do. If your work is so fickle that ANYONE would think you screwed up by doing a neck mount, then it's not the manikin that needs to change.

8. Heath Cline

Ohio
    not bad george but not as good as i expected

9. Heath Cline

Ohio
    And just like your past posts on this thread, this one doesn't hold water either !!

10. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

I'm wondering how many of the top deer guys do neck mounts?

11. [​IMG]
    easy money

12. Cathy

Cathy N.E.A.T President

I don't believe I've seen that before, John. Interesting...

13. George

Heath, it's difficult for anything to "hold water" when the guy with the cup is holding it upside down. Puffing up your chest won't change facts. I do the exact same things to the FEW neck mounts I've ever done that I do to all my shoulder mounts. Like the piebald "head mount" there, SOMETIMES when it's the right thing to do.

Wayne, it's not about how many of us DO neck mounts, it's how many of us REFUSE to do neck mounts UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. I don't know of any taxidermist who would cut the hide off short intentionally so he could do that mount, but I wonder how many of you have customers who feel this "attraction" to the hide that was on the deer they killed. Many of the ones I know would tell me, "If I can't use the hide that was on that deer and have a neck mount, just cut the horns off and I'll have you put them on a plaque." Or better yet, "I'll just cut the horns off and use them for rattlers or nail them outside the hunting cabin."Now just how many of you are going to say "Great. I'd much rather have $150 than I would $500 anyway."

14. Jaymic

Jaymic New Member

X2

15. Heath Cline

Ohio
    Well George, you would think you would know enough to turn your cup right side up then.
    I dont get where you guys get that this is an ego thing or puffing up my chest ?
    Are we all not into this to make $$ ? I know I am. And once again for you slow readers, I make $$ of selling them a new cape & mounting it.
    Don't you guys offer up grades to mounts to make $$ ? I thought that was part of business. But then again Im a bad business man for making $$ hahaha still cant get that quote out of my mind LOL
    And you guys are sure good at dreaming up extreme excuses to do them.
    Like I said before, I don't care what you guys do with your customers ! All I know is what I do for my clients. And I have never had some one with a short cape walk out my door to go to another taxi ! Gee, wonder why that is ? ::)

16. Wayne R

OK I agree with everything Heath is saying, right down to I don't care if anyone does neck mounts, or not. I don't, and have made money off of customers because I wouldn't. So I don't get why the argument is that you are going to loose money if you don't do a neck mount, keeps coming up. I have a problem with somebody coming in here, and saying it is an ego thing, when it is a thing about putting out a quality mount, and having a reputation tarnished because of a hunter's mistake. I'm sure the craftsmanship on the mount that John posted is what it should be, but a neck mount IMO looks like something you find in the bottom of the butcher's trash can. A European mount IMO, would be a better choice than a neck mount. The comments that it is just dumb and poor business not to do one, doesn't hold water either. If you want to do them, great go for it. As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, I was going to help the hunter find someone to do the neck mount for him. That was when he realised, I wasn't kidding about not doing one. It is because of that, I ended up with 3 shoulder mounts instead of one neck mount to do, and not having a neck mount blamed on me later on, to his hunting buddies. If you think you can make money off them, and build up your reputation, have a blast. I already know it was more profitable for me, not to do one.

17. George

Well, Wayne, I guess we have a problem. From my perspective, it certainly IS an ego problem and you said as much in your reply. You just used another word: "reputation". If your "reputation" can be damaged by doing a quailty NECK mount, then I have a tough time seeing any difference in the two words. I have yet to hear a single explanation of how anyone's "reputation" could be damaged by putting out a quality piece. You just got lucky with your customer example. You don't deal with some of the people I do obviously and IF I were dumb enough to try to find them another taxidermist to do ANYTHING for them, then I'd have found someone who was going to end up getting ALL their work. PERSONALLY, my "reputation" was established a helluva long time ago and nothing I do now is going to affect that much.

18. John L

John L Active Member

I have done one neck mount and I don't like them. I could not find a neck form with the turn, size etc I wanted so I cut the neck off a shoulder form. Now with that I had to bondo an new back on the neck portion to put a hanger on. (extra work) I will not turn one away but the next one will cost the same as a shoulder mount plus alterations.

John

19. Wayne R

Then I must have an ego problem, live and learn.

20. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

George, I can tell you how a taxidermist's reputation can be harmed by quality "neck" mount. Years ago I was at a "gathering"(I don't even recall what the occasion was) and the guys were in the rec room. There were a few mounts on the wall and among them was the "neck mount". It was NOT a bad job and the taxidermist who did it had a very solid reputation. Someone commented on it and the owner ripped the taxidermist for "screwing up" the deer and totally trashed him as a taxidermist. As I said it was years ago and I wasn't even IN the business at the time, just being a part timer with a "real" job. I found out later from one of the guy's buddies, that HE actually has cut the neck short and the taxidermist told him that it would look "funny", but he had it done anyway. By today's standards it wasn't that "great", but for those days it was good work. I've always been very wary of doing neck mounts because of that. I'd much rather have them rip me for "grossly overcharging" for a neck mount than for "screwing up" their mount.