1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

WT Deer neck mounts

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by srholmes30, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Heath Cline

Heath Cline Well-Known Member

Ohio
    Seriously George, I have a question that stumps me, which is not hard to do.
    But can you explain HOW reputation = an ego problem ? So if a taxi shop has a reputation for doing very good deer head or some other mount, then this mean automatically they have an ego problem ? ::)
    Come on now that does not make any sense !
    So if a taxi is always aware & tries to keep his shops reputation for quality work, he has an ego ? WOW !!

If a client has 2 bucks mounted that both score near the same, mounted by two different taxidermist and both are quality mounts and they are hanging together in someones man cave. Do you honestly think that the shoulder mount is not going to stand out better & "look" better from a client or potential clients point of view ? I say BULL BUTTER !!! Now your client might know what makes a quality mount because you have educated him over the years but not all potential clients know exactly what good quality work is. But he WILL know which one looks better on the wall !! So right away you could have 1 strike against you from getting a chance to gain a new client.

I don't care if Bill Yox mounted the neck mount, from the general publics eye, the shoulder mount is going to look better on the wall.

2. Heath Cline

Ohio
    Old Fart, thank you. Thats exactly what I have been trying to explain for how many pages. But you did a much better job at it !! ;D

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

This whole post has turned into a crock of self-aggrandizing bullchips. OF, I have stories to counteract all that, but is still seems that 2 or 3 have this personal agenda to portray a neck mount as the forbidden fruit of what we do. How many of you can HONESTLY say that you have NEVER had a customer badmouth your work that WASN'T a neck mount? Did that hurt your "reputation"? This is all pure, unadulterated bull and just chest pounding.

First and foremost, I DO NOT LIKE NOR ADVOCATE NECK MOUNTS. Yet my EGO isn't threatened when I get a hide cut short or a kids first deer that would require a shorter than full shoulder mount. Many people are hurt to think they've "lost" their original hide. Certainly a piebald or what seems to be so cherished; a double throat patch. I certainly explain all options, but if they insist, then I'm going to do what I can to keep them as a customer.

Now if you 3 or 4 saints don't want to touch them, so be it. But don't go feeding the horse hay and trying to convince me it won't come out horsespit.

4. Jaymic

Jaymic New Member

Xxxxxxxx222222

5. Wayne R

Wayne R NRA and B&C Life Member

Chest pounding saints, with an ego problem.........cool. Sorry I can't take this seriously any more, have fun with it.

6. Heath Cline

Ohio
    Again, reputation = ego how ????
    I will be the first to admit that Im sure there has been plenty badmouth my work ! But why give someone a head start on which one to bad mouth even BEFORE they look at the quality of the mount ???
    Like I said before I don't care what you do!
    And George you are so full of it !!
    I have yet to have someone explain to me what this has anything to do with chest pounding or ego !! I don't know how it can be an ego for a average commercial taxidermist !!
    And "This is all pure, unadulterated bull and just chest pounding." I couldn't describe your posts any better than you just did.
    And once again, "I" am wrong for making money off doing business, too funny !!

ATTENTION all you taxidermist with good reputations for quality work. It is now known world wide that you have an ego problem ! hahaha ::)

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Keith, let me give you a clue on philosophy. "The things we most dislike about others are qualities we, ourselves, possess." Now I've sent a few dictionaries to people who couldn't seem to find one. Should I mail you one as well? Ego is what WE think of ourselves. Reputation is what OTHERS think of us. Now if you are making the presumption to know, without evidence to the contrary, that you know you'll be criticized for doing a SPECIFIC mount without even seeing it, then by association of definitions, it's YOUR EGO TELLING YOU THAT. We just finished stating that we sometimes get badmouthed for doing GOOD work, so by you inference, we should just all stop doing any work because it could cause damage to our reputations.

I've answered your question completely several times, but just because this particular issue has been selected as your cause celeb, you're refusing to LISTEN to what's being said. If YOU don't want to do them, AS I'VE SAID, then by all means don't do them. But don't come on here trying to sell YOUR ideals to others who simply DO NOT AGREE WITH YOUR POSITION.

I would suggest that you enroll in business 101 or at least go to Christie's seminar on business. You'll find the first tenant of any professional business will be, "Do not let a prospective client get away." You and Wayne are not only allowing him to get away, you're offering a friggin referral service to send him away.

8. Heath Cline

Ohio
    But don't come on here trying to sell YOUR ideals to others who simply DO NOT AGREE WITH YOUR POSITION.
    Gerge,
    Now isnt that the pot calling the kettle black ?? hahah You didn't just seriously type that ?! I'll give this George, you are always good for a chuckle.
    I never once said, "this is the way everyone should do it" !! If you go aread a little, I have said numerous time, I don't care what you do with your clients. This is what I do with MINE ! All I have done is explain why I do what I do.
    I suggest you get your eys checked. Because once again, like I said before, ( should I type a little slower for you ?) of the very few short capes that have come into my shop, NONE have left because I didn't use their cape & sold them a new one !! And they keep bringing my work through the years. Yep sure looks like I need that business course ::) But I will say Im sure Christie's is a good one.

"We just finished stating that we sometimes get badmouthed for doing GOOD work, so by you inference, we should just all stop doing any work because it could cause damage to our reputations."

So now you are putting words in my mouth or changing things around?
    All I said was why start out one lap behind on potential clients ? And thats a piss poor comparison or theory!
    Once again I ask. Do you honestly believe that neck mount will not look like a "taxidermist screwed up mount" hanging next to other full shoulder mounts to the general public and possible new clients ? Or that the full shoulder mount will not stand out as the "better mount" even though they both quality mounts ?

And you can use all the mumble jumble you want, word it however you desire, it has nothing to do with ego or chest thumping ! I am not better than the avaerage taxidermist. Hell more than likely worst than the average taxidermist !