1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bird of the week #14 & #15(2.4-15.4.07)

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Taxi-lover, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Taxi-lover

Taxi-lover Active Member

Hello birdworld!! I thought this time we have two weeks period. That's because easter is coming and I'll not be around next week. So,two weeks thread and hope we can see again many great birdmountings!! I don't have picture this week,but hope I have something in next bird of the week! Have a nice easter and keep your picture's coming!!

Taxi-lover ;D

2. wingman

wingman Active Member

A prairie chicken I did for myself a LONG time ago, yet to be finished, Man I hate finishwork even when it's on my own birds.!!

3. ludvik

ludvik beginner taxidermist :-)

very nice bird wingman!!!

4. Taxi-lover

Taxi-lover Active Member

Nice bird!! And yes,I hate finishing too!! I don't know why,but it just doesn't feel as much fun as mounting a bird..

5. Latest from AK, a great-horned owl for the Fish and Wildlife Learning Center and a California Quail still in progress.

Rich

6. Great looking birds Rich! Are you going to Reno?

7. First time to post on here, so go easy. This bird isn't dry yet. I don't like the wing open that much but this is what the customer wanted.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. NICE WORK
    OWL,DUCK,,CHICKING AND EXT.....

9. Here's some northern shoveler's i did this weekend...

10. here's the hen's beak...i still have to finish that drake's

11. ludvik

ludvik beginner taxidermist :-)

i hate the finish work to :D

12. truetolife

truetolife Fly goosey fly away....isn't she beautiful

PA
    here is a pintail from Arkansas 2006

13. Bald Rock

Bald Rock why get limits when you can get bands

HEY BIRD TAXIDERMISTS,

iN REFERENCE TO ALL FLYING MOUNTS, WHEN THE WING EXITS THE BODY ANGLE IT MORE TOWARD THE HEAD ANYWHERE FROM 10 TO 30 DEGREES. IT GIVES THE WING A MORE REALISTIC APPEARANCE. WHEN THE WING EXITS DIRECTLY PERPENDICULAR OR TOWARD THE REAR OF THE BIRD THE RESULT IS ODD AND TAKES AWAY FROM THE QUALITY OF THE MOUNT. ANGLES ARE EVERYTHING IN BIRD TAXIDERMY. THERE IS AN ELASTIC TENDON THAT RUNS ALONG THE INNER FIRST SEGMENT OF THE BIRD WING THAT ALLOWS RETRACTION IN FLIGHT AND CONSERVES ENERGY FOR THE BIRD. IN FACT THE WING NEVER FULLY EXTENDS ITS WING, EVEN ON TAKE OFF THERE IS STILL A SLIGHT CONCAVE APPEARANCE ON THE UPPER EDGE OF THE WING. CHECK IT OUT WHEN YOU SKIN YOUR NEXT DUCK, THAT TENDON LOOKS LIKE A RUBBER BAND AND ACTS IN MUCH THE SAME MANNER.

14. Paul C

Paul C New Member

Here's a ruffed grouse I just finished. Its mounted with no body--just a wire framework and chopped excelsior.

[​IMG]

15. jwprentice1

jwprentice1 New Member

Great job on the Prairie Chicken in particular. They are a pain to get right. Obviously you had good reference.

16. trm

trm New Member

from last year, hope it works
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. muleyhunter

muleyhunter Soulmates, Gods way of saying together forever

My latest
    [​IMG]

18. mntduks-tx

mntduks-tx New Member

here is parts of a bird....

[​IMG]

19. Birds4life

Birds4life New Member

I am new at this, can someone tell me how to post photos.

20. Taxi-lover

Taxi-lover Active Member

Birds4life,welcome! You just have to resize your photos and then attach to your post! Resizing can be made with photobucket,for example...