1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

cactus cast

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by Valdo, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Valdo

Valdo Member

There was an article by Gary Weir in the Breakthrough magazine where he makes a mold out of Latex 74 and casts the cactus with smooth cast 300. My question is can I make a mold with latex 74 and then cast with bondo. I am really trying to look for materials that are more accessible to me although I don't know if it would be cheaper since I haven' t compared prices. I have used Kerby's prickly pear cactus before and they are awesome but this customer wants a rattlesnake with quite a few cactus in the background and I would prefer just a few big cacti.

2. bowhuntnnut

bowhuntnnut 210-260-0190

Yes, I'd use the white hardener though. I think it would be hard to color using red/blue without top coating it, which would fill in some detail.

3. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Lots....

Lots of different options.

Yes you can pour bondo into a Latex 74 cactus mold. I have made cactus molds out of Latex 74 and bondo. I use car wax for a mold release. You can then use bondo, IE 3030, or foam to pour into the molds.

:)

Kerby...

[​IMG]

4. Kerby Ross

And.........

**I think it would be hard to color using red/blue without top coating it, which would fill in some detail**

I use the red hardner and I don't use any primer paint when I paint my cactus pads. The green covers it rather well.

Kerby...

[​IMG]

5. Valdo

Valdo Member

Thank you Trevor and Kirby. I'll give it a try.

6. SouthTexasPighunter

SouthTexasPighunter New Member

Hey all. Kirby what do you use for your needles? Can they be bought commercially or do you make them?
    STP

7. jbconnected

jbconnected Member

marking

8. Kerby Ross

South Texas Pighunter....

I use real cactus spines......but you can also use small pins (craft store).

Kerby...

9. SouthTexasPighunter

SouthTexasPighunter New Member

Thanks Kerby I think I have plenty of the real ones laying around ;)
    STP