1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Krowtann on African Skins?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by John Helm, Jul 10, 2011.

1. I have a salted and dried South African Impala cape that I'd like to tan myself if possible, and was wondering if anyone has had success Krowtanning salted African skins. I plan on cutting off a test strip from the cape, rehydrating it and throwing it in with my next WT deer cape and Krowtann WT formula. Any suggestions from those who have done it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Good luck with that. African is hard enough to do for commercial tanneries. ;)

3. I know they're tough, but I've heard of some guys doing it supposedly. I just hate to send out a single cape to a tannery and wait 6 months or more to get it back.

4. As long as it was handled well, and you use a good re hydrator, you'll be fine. If it's a stiff skin after soaking, it will be a problem, but with degreasing and extra soaking you should be able to get it loosened up.

5. Thanks for the advice. Being that it's already salted, I was going to soak it in plain water - maybe with a little bactericide. What else would you add to the rehydration bath?

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

John, let me ask you a question: If and when you dick up this impala hide "trying something you heard", do you have any idea what a replacement hide might cost IF you could find one?

7. John, go for it! How else do you learn in life. Not by just taking everyone else's advise, that's for sure.

There was a good article in Taxidermy Today that just came out. It's about rehydration. Based on the expert advise given there, you are doing the right thing. Water only and some bactericide. I have found on stubborn salt dried skins that you need to move the skin while rehydrating. I mean stretch, pull and squish while in the water. Since you have the bactericide in the water, you can allow the skin more time to fully rehydrate. You may want to do a frequent water change too, once the water gets dirty. Remember, move that skin alot. let us know what happens.

Also, get some Truebond 1000 from Justin Polh. Great stuff.

8. If you have trouble getting a hide to rehydrate, putting them through the washing machine helps a LOT! :)

9. George

D.Price, I apologize.What the hell do we know. I suddenly understand what you've meant in a few other posts about experts. LOL Guess I'll take out my miniflesher and weedeater out so I can soften up my bucket tanned hides.

10. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

LMAO!!!!!!!!!! :-X :-X :-X ;D

11. What color is the skin side? If it's red in color don't even attempt it. Those skins are 95% of the time salted and baked in the sun. Untannable most of the time.

12. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

not if you run it through the washi........ :-X :-X nevermind!

13. The skin side is off white/beige. As I said at the beginning of this thread, I'll experiment by cutting a section from the back of the cape. I just wanted to know if anyone has had success or lack thereof with this method.

14. George

OK, John, let me spell it out in plain English: I think you're playing with your ass. That "section from the back of the cape" won't be any guarantee to anything. The crux of the matter is in the ear butts, the eyelids and the nostrils. That hide is DIFFERENT from the back hide. Then when you reach this marvelous discovery, what? You could have already sent it to be professionally tanned and be far ahead on the curve to getting it back. Last time I checked, New Jersey doesn't have too many impalas running around unless they're emblazoned on a Chevrolet. I'm sure you have more wart hogs and kudus up there than you do impalas. If you want to play with a hide, why not pick a native whitetail? You could find a roadkill up that way to replace anything you screw up.

It seems that the only reason you posed this question here was to find someone to blow roses up your ass and give you some sense of courage before you did it. If you're hell bent for leather to do it, just do it, but don't ask professionals what they think of amateurish methods.

15. gunner62

gunner62 Gunners Buckhorn Taxidermy

W.I.

Way to funny just blew perfectly good Mountain Dew out my nose! :D LOL LOL LOL

16. tmoos111

tmoos111 Member

Well I did it! Not with krowtan but with liqua tan and the hides turned out great these include jackal,baboon,vervet monkey,2 impala,heartabeest,2 kudu, warthog,gemsbok.I know I'm a crazy reatard but I did it. These were my personal trophy's and my plan was to only try on 1 impala and it turned out so good that I just moved on. I only had hair loss on two spots one on the heartabeest and one on a kudu muzzle both about the size of a quarter. I'm not bragging or blowing roses up anyones ass I'm just saying that I did it. I'm sure these hides will out last me and I'm 31 years old. I re hydrated all the hides with relax R they all came back great. I used the tanning drum from Steve rotramel. the hides have Great stretch. So take it for what it is worth and good luck. Travis

17. Sincere thanks for all the positive feedback. As for your comments George, I wasn’t going to take the bait and reply to that first one, but now I have to. You don’t know the first thing about me. And if you think I need some sense of courage from someone to tan a hide you’re out of your mind. I have plenty of courage, and if I took a quick ride down to Delaware to pay you a New Jersey visit, I bet you wouldn’t have the courage to talk like that to my face. It seems that years of unforgiveness and resentment has turned you into a bitter and cantankerous old man. You spew so much vitriol and condenscension that I actually feel sorry for you. Can you ever forgive yourself? What’s it to you where I find my impala capes and if I even completely destroy the one I have? Actually, JJ has a few for me put aside already tanned with horns if I decide I want them, so what business is it of yours? Your patronizingly superior attitude doesn’t intimidate me in the least, and I’ll ask anything I want on this forum to anyone, professional or amateur whenever I want. Do you think I’m stupid just because I have one star next to my name? JJ asked me to take a ride with him down to your shop to pick up some squirrels you had for him. He thought it would be good to meet you but I’m glad I declined and I hope I never have the misfortune of meeting you in person. Here’s the catch that you don’t know, even though you seem to think you know everything. I started taxidermy for fun in 1982 with Dave Schwendemann from the American Museum of Natural History. Of course I don’t know half of what the pros know, but I do taxidermy for a hobby and share it with my 4 ½ year old son. He loves it so much and I do it to make him happy, so we work together on everything we can. Since I thought this forum is supposed to be a family friendly place where people can learn various aspects of taxidermy and share advice, I include him in my forum posts and the replies I receive whenever possible. He learns the important things in life from me, not from TV, not from other kids or relatives and not from school. Whether it’s right from wrong, good words and bad words, he’ll learn them from me, and he’s already achieved a sense of discernment and wisdom lacking in many adults I know. I read your replies to him and explained what everything meant, and from now on any reply you make to me will be read and explained to him. These will be part of his daily life lessons and how he learns to deal with cold hearted and abusive people as he grows. Think about that while you're trying to sleep tonight. Bullies don’t scare us in the least, so go take your bad language and foul attitude and buzz off. That’s everything spelled out in plain English.
    [​IMG]

18. Right on John. Right on!

19. George

John you have no idea what I know about you and if you did, you'd have kept your reply AND your insinuated threats to yourself. I'm at 359 Cypress Branch Road in Magnolia. D Price works for a professional tannery and he gave you excellent advice. I simply had followed up on it but then guys like Doug got you feeling all pious I suppose. A PROFESSIONAL taxidermist, which I understand you're not, never treats skins as commodities that are disposable and can be replaced after having played with them. I make a living doing this and I have enough trouble worrying about keeping skins safe that CAN be replaced much less things that don't grow in your backyard. I can't speak for John Janelli, but I just don't see John tossing valuable hides away capriciously because someone felt that they shouldn't have to wait for a professional tanning job like the rest of us in the industry would.

And to answer your question: NO, I don't think you're stupid because you only have one star under your name.

You have a beautiful young son and there was no need to try and drag him into adult disagreements.

20. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

George, I believe he was simply sending out a pic for you to see of a nice buck he mounted while he attended one of my classes. Id guess hes just plain proud of his son. Lets all play nice, shall we? Old dried up impalas are a dime a dozen and an alternative to commercial tans was what I believe he was looking for. If commercial tans were the only answer, there wouldnt be any alternatives...