1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

BIRD OF THE WEEK # 28-29,Year 5

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Taxi-lover, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Great birds, thanks for sharing, wishing you well, stargazer.

2. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

Very nice birds Pat!

3. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

Oregon
    Thanks you guys!

4. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

wow pat every time i see your pics it gives me ideas for my birds. Well when i can get time for them.

5. nina5150

nina5150 Well-Known Member

whow pat..i really luv the tan bottom goose..and the wing placement on the top goose looks awesome...

6. Wow , fantasic work Pat!!!

7. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

hey Pat is that common for a tavener to have those white feathers on the wings?? that cackler is sure some preety goose!!

8. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

Oregon
    Thanks again for the comments. I truly appreciate it. Alan - The white flecking on the wings of the tav seems to be somewhat common in all the canada subspecies. It isn't a taverner specific feature.

9. byrdman

byrdman Well-Known Member

I shot and mounted a 21 pound minnesota giant with similar markings

10. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I have always thought that it was age-related since the ones that have the most white coverts also tend to have other signs of age.
    I'm not 100% sure about it, but it seems to be fairly consistent so far.

11. eduardo cruz

eduardo cruz I had a dream, a passion that became real...

Very nice work Milo!!

12. Taxi-lover

Taxi-lover Active Member

Second week!!

13. TIM SCHLOSS

TIM SCHLOSS Member

GREAT PICKS J.P. BEAUTIFUL WORK BLAKE AND FALCO. THOSE GEESE ARE GREAT PAT

14. Hunters

Hunters New Member

[​IMG]

15. Taxi-lover

Taxi-lover Active Member

Glad to see new members also,WELLCOME!!!

16. OOS

OOS New Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

17. That goose looks like it had a dilution gene, and not 'leucisism'.

It is similar to C-diluted in mice. Though I am not familiar enough with bird genetics, to comment on what type of dilution gene it may have.

18. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

Rhasputin, there are a bunch of different dilution genes. Some only work on certain types of pigment and some work on all of them.
    Leucism doesn't mean the same thing that it did when I took genetics. Back then, we made a very clear distinction between leucism and the piebald factor because they are completely different alleles and an animal can have either, neither, or both. Nowadays leucism has come to mean anything that interferes with pigment structure or distribution, so it has become so broad a term that it is almost meaningless.

C-dilution, if it's what I think it is, is sort of a catch-all term for Color dilution. At least that's how it is in turkeys and some other things that I studied. "C" meaning full colored and dominant, and "c" meaning dilute colored and recessive.

On birds, most types of leucism are sex-linked, but most, if not all, of the piebald factors are not. That's why most of the wild dilute birds that are seen will be females. The most common form seems to be the type that dilutes normal melanin but doesn't affect phaeomelanin (a yellowish or reddish brown pigment) or caretenoid pigments as much, so the birds end up being sort of a fawn color and very prone to fading in sunlight. There is a much rarer version of leucism that does just the opposite, and it gives us things like silver wood ducks.
    I will stop now .... before I type a whole book and bore everybody to death.

19. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

Very nice work folks. As for the white specking on the wings, I've mounted up a couple giant Canadas with that trait. Makes an interesting piece. Just finished a few.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

Oregon

Nancy - It was an adult female... Good post. I know very little on this topic.