1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Archie Phillips repros

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Deer Mount, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Deer Mount

Deer Mount New Member

Has anyone used an Archie Phillips 1/4 mount catfish head. Looking for info, does it come with the mouth detailed or do you have to dremel it out yourself. Any thoughts on these repors pro or con. Thanks

2. I use his reproductions all the time. I like them plus his shop is only 20 minutes from mine so it saves me time and money to get mine there. I've seen those catfish heads in his shop, They look pretty good to me. I would use them if I had a customer wanting one.

3. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

Not familiar with the catfish but in general, they are inexpensive and you can make them look pretty decent (AP gill I posted before):

Attached Files:

4. Brian W

close up

Attached Files:

5. Deer Mount

Deer Mount New Member

The bluegill looks AWSOME! Very nice paint job. Looks like quite a bit of detail in the repilca. I called Archie Phillips today and they are sending me a catalog, their website is under construction.

6. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

In all honesty......... compared to a lot of other blanks available, they are pretty much junk.

7. finfeathr

finfeathr Member

I have to disagree....I use Archie's blanks alot, and find them very easy to work with.

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

OF, I wouldn't expect you to allow personal feelings to interfere with objective information. SOME of Archie's repro's are antiquated with worn details, but many of them are as good as those I've bought from much more famous suppliers. I actually prefer his in some cases simply because they are foam filled allowing me to do mouth and gill work that becomes more difficult with some of the "hollow" repros out there. His choices of salt water and warm water fish are close to most others. When it comes to cold water species, I have other preferences. For a catfish, I can't imagine it not providing you with everything you're looking for.

9. Capt. Bryan

Capt. Bryan New Member

Jimmy Warren in Panama city , FL. has the very same molds , but his fish are built very well. He has thin fins, tight seams, and good detail.
    He is a pleasure to deal with and dedicated to the industry. His number is 850-763-6373, call him for a catalog, the new ones just came out.

10. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Years ago I did use a lot of AP blanks, because they were what was available. George I personally like Archie very much, so there is no bias there. I'm just saying that there are so many BETTER choices.....based COMPLETELY on quality..... that I'd look elsewhere FIRST. To say anything else is a disservice to the other blank and fish repo suppliers. Sorry, that's how I see it.

11. Brian W

Thanks and yes there is. Like I stated before in a previous post, I had heard some negativity about the blanks. I wanted to show that you CAN achieve good results with them. I PREFER the higher ends blanks (LCR, Arp-3D, etc) or the custom blanks I have purchased or was gifted, from guys like Josh, Kerby, Cpt Bryan, Rich, and Randy but with a little fin re-positioning/shaping, new eye set, and little time, AP blanks will work..........that big gill was only $40.......I only do fish as a hobby, but I'm sure I could make a few bucks with those prices....

12. warthog

warthog Member of VVA and VFW

I have to agree with Old Fart...there are a lot of AP's molds that are losing a lot of detail. I have also recieved replicas that were really hard to work with...wide seams...missing details and so on. But in saying this...I have also recieved replicas from one of the top end replicators in the business, and he is going to get it back. It is a seatrout and it really sucks. Detail is all washed out...head will not fit the body...fins are all washed out...yeah...he is definitely going to get it back. But who ever you are happy with...I say go for it. I don't mind working to get a replica to look good...seam work and such...but when the details are gone...aint no way.

13. finfeathr

finfeathr Member

I can honestly say that in 29 years I have never gotten a blank from Archie Phillips that had bad seams...most of the seams on the blanks I order need little more than a little nitro-stan, and they are good to go...

14. srholmes30

srholmes30 Living each and every day

I use them with good results,The foam is great