1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

stop rot ?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by elk74, Jul 12, 2011.

1. A sheep hunter I know was asking me if he could use stop rot on a fresh sheep cape,then salt the cape the following day when he returns to base camp, He wants to lighten up his pack. He will be hunting in late august,I have minimal experience with stop rot,so I am looking into it for him.I do know the importance of salt in any weather, especially warm weather.Thank you for any info regarding this topic.

2. Based on my conversations with Glen, that's what the product was originally created for.

3. TTT....anyone else use this? Does anyone have a run-down of how to properly apply enough on a sheep cape and how long it would last before needing salt?

Should the cape be allowed to dry with the stop-rot on it or should it be kept rolled up?

4. TTT....still looking for some ideas and direction on the use of stop-rot and how to incorporate using it in the field when it will be 5-6 days until I can get it back to a freezer or a solid amount of salt. I am thinking I will bring 1-2lbs of salt at the most on this backpack hunt.

Any ideas on how to properly care for a cape with stop rot?

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Stop Rot is a miracle fluid that prevents cellular re imposition. Somewhere on here Glen has a picture of two eggs. One was treated and one not. After one year of setting out the untreated egg was a dried brown scab. The treated one looked as fresh as it was the day it was broken. Now you are talking sheep hide. Though I trust it my pucker factor would be off the charts. I'd make sure I fleshed it thoroughly and then I'd use a pump sprayer to insure 100% coverage. I'd fold it skin to skin and the get it the he'll off the mountain to the nearest salt. Make SURE that cape stays cool as a CYA.

6. Thanks George.

We wont be able to get off the mountain unless we knock over a couple of our animals. We have 2 sheep tags and I'll be carrying a goat tag.

I'm prepared to carry 1-2 lbs of salt to use on the cape until we get back to our truck, but if I shot a goat on day 2-3 we would have at least another 4-5 days until we would be back to 5lbs of salt.

Thoughts? I know 1-2lbs of salt is the very minimum for a cape in the field, but is using stop rot going to be a benefit to go along with the cape? Would it be best to apply the salt directly after the stop-rot?

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'm sorry but I just won't endorse a method I've never tried and a sheep/goat hide is going to be one of those issues that only you can decide on. I know what lugging a pound of salt would be when you're in squirrely mountain ranges and even with minimal salting, It would take 5 pounds to do it. My SUGGESTION ONLY would be to take the stop rot. Cape and completely flesh your animal. Apply the Stop Rot and then lay the hide out, skin side up in whatever shade or wind you have and let it air dry. (Fat chance as it's likely to be monsoon season there on the opening season anyway.) I don't envy you your decision making.

8. Thanks George. And yep, its definitely a task of trying to make the best out of a tough situation. I'll be bringing Stop Rot for sure and think that it should help. Using salt was an idea but air drying was an idea as well. I think if I can get everything fleshed really nicely and get it covered in Stop-Rot it should help the task. I was considering salting the face and lightly over the rest of the cape and allowing it to dry with a combination of air drying and light salting.

Tough choices for sure when a guy has an 8-10 day backpack trip and we have more than 1 animal we're aiming for. I'll be TRYING to hold out on shooting my goat until later in the trip if possible, but if an opportunity exists I obviously wont pass on it if I dont think it will present itself again. Stone's sheep are our primary focus but I'm along with a goat tag and obviously cape care is one of those things I'm having a tough time guessing on what will work best. Never using stop-rot in the past I thought it would be a good option to try and 'help' things along.

Thanks for the suggestion....I'll take any other advice or suggestions on this to help me make my decisions a bit better!