1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

whats ur opinion

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by BMHET, Jul 13, 2011.

1. BMHET

BMHET Member

What is your opinion on bondo ears for a whitetail.

2. huntersdream

huntersdream New Member

they work, To do it right they need to be very thin though. ur best bet is to use earliners and remove the cartledge in the ears IMO

3. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Bondo works great. Be sure and use fiberglass resin and chop in the mix to make them thin and durable.

Type " bondo ears " in the search box and there is hours worth of past discussion on this issue.

4. dplais7124

dplais7124 Active Member

Re: Re: whats ur opinion

Add a very small amount of hide paste to your bondo/chop mixture. It'll help eliminate drumming.

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

5. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Plaisance, I would think from a chemistry standpoint, that's a very dangerous process. IF the hide paste is waterbase, it's incompatible with fiberglass resins.

BMHET, I'm not a Bondo fan, but I use it occasionally. You would be wise to add some resin to the mix to make it more liquid and insuring that you had complete coverage. Aside from the fiberglass chop, you need to work from the tip of the ear to the butt while pushing ALL air bubbles out the ear. It's not nearly as simple as just glopping the Bondo into the ear pocket.. Likely your first try will look like crap, be lumpy or have sharp ridges. At least you can pull the cured Bondo out of the air an and try all over again.

6. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

Don't do this

7. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

But Bondo isn't an adhesive :-\

Sorry..... I couldn't help myself! ;D

8. George

Michael, you smartass. If it WAS an "adhesive" you wouldn't be able to take it out once it cured. And ADDING an adhesive to it won't make it one either. So for you beginners, the gist of this lesson is:

1. Fiberglass is NOT an adhesive but a protective coating. Paint your wooden boat exterior with fiberglass and let the boat get wet inside and tell me what happens to the fiberglass.

2. Bondo is a name brand for FIBERGLASS resin supersaturated with polyester microballoons used with a colored HARDNER to give you a visual indication of proper mixing. It was designed to replace moleten lead as an auto body filler. It will NOT adhere to metal and thus requires holes to be drilled in the metal to give it "tooth".

TEST QUESTION: Take a drop of Bondo and put it on the end of a tongue depressor. Set another tongue depressor opposing end on the bondo and secure them with a rubber band until cured. Do the same with epoxy. When both are hardened, twist the tongue depressors and tell me which one is ADHERED and which one is simply BONDED.

9. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

So THATS why they call ikt the bonded ear method? :eek: Lol. Hey I use bondo...to set my antlers to the forms. Youll rip the plywood block right off the form trying to get those antlers off if you forgot a seperater...even though its not an adhesive, its one helluva bonder...

10. George

So is water. If you don't believe it, take two window panes and between them, put on ONE DROP of water. Lay the panes flat and try to lift one off the other without sliding them apart.

11. Wait a minute, are you saying I should just pour water in the ears! :)

12. zubba

zubba Active Member

I mean, who doesn't use the water ear method?

13. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Prolly why I use liners.

14. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Suction isn't an adhesive. Thank goodness.

15. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

LOL!

16. gottahunt

gottahunt New Member

you guys are to much!

17. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

A thin ear of straight fender bondo will crack and snap when bent, very easily. Make sure to use fiber glass chop, or buy the pre mixed kitty or tiger hair fiberglass bondo for strength, and don't use someone's whizzbang idea posted here to add deer hair to fender bondo.

18. George

Uh, Greg, were you absent that day or did you just skip the chemistry class???? LOL "Surface Tension" and "suction" are a bit far removed from each other. The "surface tension" of a water droplet will BOND two pieces of glass together but will not make them adhere to each other.

19. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

I'm a simple man. Suction is sufficient as an explainer.

20. BMHET

BMHET Member

How much do I use of each, also I herd u cand bondo the ear withouy sewing holes is this true, if so how.Thanx for all the help.