1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

i need help!!

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by babak, Jul 16, 2011.

1. babak

babak Active Member

hi from iran, ;)

I'm very new in taxidermy,i want to start working on small mammals, i know basics about birds but i have done just one prairie dog,i want to know if there is a simple method that i can preserve a small mammal like jack rabbit or red fox with available chemicals in my home and city ? available materials that i always use on birds involve borax,formaldehyde,alum and salt .of coarse i can order all of chemicals here easily but some are very expensive . the things that I'm worry about them are both shrinkage and solidity or inflexibility of skin, is there any chemical or soap to add for preventing of both problems ? maybe all of my answers are hidden in other topics,but i have a skin on my hand,therefore time is restricted . I appreciate you for every guidelines.

babak

2. Without going through a whole list of what you have available, from what you have posted, I would see about getting vinegar from a grocery store and using it to make a pickle with your salt water, then tan with the alum. Oil would be a problem though, you have access to anything? With those thin skin animals, and in the position you're in, you might be just as well off the wash them good and borax them like you do a bird.