1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What makes a PROFESSIONAL Taxidermy tanner?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Rhino, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Was Renaldo Pepe and Charles Crocker taxidermist?

2. Rush

Rush New Member

Loyalty

3. D.,

I AM CERTAIN THEY WERE NOT. FOR THAT MATTER ANTHONY SCORSZA IN ROCHESTER NY WHO DID ALOT OF CARL ACKLEYS TANNING WAS NOT A TAXIDERMIST WHEN HE STARTED HIS TANNERY IN THE 40'S <BY THE WAY HE IS STILL IN OPERATION AT THE AGE OF 93> HE DID OPEN A TAXIDERMY STUDIO IN THE EARLY 70'S AS PART OF HIS TANNERY. COINCIDENTLY ANNS FATHER WHO HAD A MATERS DEGREE IN CHEMISTRY, AND A MASTERS DEGREE IN TANNING AND HER MOTHER WHO HAD 2 CHEMICAL ENGINEERING DEGREES BOTH ORGANIC AND INORGANIC CHEMISTRY WITH A COMBINED 90 YEARS IN TANNING INDUSTRY OF EXPERIENCE BETWEEN THEM NEVER WERE TAXIDERMIST EITHER. BUT I AM SURE THAT THE TANNING GODS OF TAXINET WITH THEIR HUNDREDS OF YEARS OF TANNING AN TAXIDERMY EXPERIENCE LEARNED MORE IN THE LAST 10 YEARS AS WAS PREVIOSULY STATED. I ALSO WAS CONFUSED BY ONE OF AUBREYS STATEMENTS ...AUBREY I THOUGHT YOU WERE JUST A SHAVER ALL THESE YEARS AND DID NOT REALIZE HOW MUCH EXPERINCE YOU HAD IN MOUNTING FOR TAXIDERMY NOR DID I REALIZE ALL THE DEGREES YOU HAD IN CHEMISTRY. I LOOK FORWARD TO LEARNING MORE . I HOPE EVERYONE WILL CHERISH THE HONOR WE HAVE BEEN GIVEN TO LEARN AT THE FEET OF THE MASTER.

SOME OF THE PRODUCTS WE USE COME FROM KNOBLACHS THEY ARE TOP NOTCH AND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM, OUR OTHER PRODUCTS ARE NOT IDENTICAL TO WHAT YOU PURCHASE FROM TAXIDERMY SUPPLY CATALOGS CONTRARY TO WHAT SOME MIGHT BELIVE. WE AGREE WITH KIETH ALSO EACH TANNERY HAS THEIR OWN PROCEDURES AND IN OUR EXPERINCE FROM TALKING WITH OTHER TANNERY OWNERS OVER THE YEARS EACH USES A DIFFERENT PROCEDURE AND MOST USE DIFFERENT FORMULAS FROM EACH OTHER.

WE ARE ANXIOUSLY WAITING TO SEE HOW MANY OF THE TANNERIES WILL CHANGE EVERYTHING NOW THAT THE NEW SUPER MAGIC PRODUCT IS AVAILABLE. BECAUSE TRUST ME IF IT IS SUPERIOR BOTH IN PERFORMANCE AND COST WHY WOULDNT WE ALL SWITCH TO USING IT?

LET ME JUST ASK ALL OF THE TANNERIES WHO MIGHT READ THIS POST IF THEY HAVE ANY INTENTION OF THROWING ALL THIER OLD OUTDATED FORMULAS THAT THEY HAVE BEEN USING OUT THE WINDOW TO SWITCH OVER TO THE SUPER MAGIC FORMULA WE HAVE BEEN SO BLESSED TO HAVE AVAILABLE TO US IN THIS AGE OF ENLIGHTENTMENT?

4. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Well Aubry, my bottle is on the way from Justin, excited to try the product. There are many roads on this industry and it's big enough for all of them. One thing that drew me to try the product is not just the reviews, but the class Justin shows in running his business. I wish both of you well in this endeavor.

5. Rush

Rush New Member

This is the first Ive heard of the "magic stuff", and was told its been out for some time now. I guess that's what happens when I "WORK" and dont spend hours reading about someone promotting (advertising) their product, which I guess is only good for a few and not good for others. If Aubry's stuff helped me make a better product with all the sheep hides I tan here at Mint City Tanning, 517-455-1739, Id buy barrels of it.

6. paul e

paul e New Member

the products work
    no complaints here
    did everything Aubry said they would

7. alexm

alexm New Member

I have been using it since it came out with great results got lots of info from Aubry just did a bunch of rugs turned out great
    Every one that I have told to use it has all said the same . And also thanks to Kieth for helping me with fat burned bears ..
    Alex. M

8. I like the Tru Bond tan for wet tans done at home. I have gone on record on facebook as such.

I also like Liqua Tan as a paint on for home tanners. It cost a little more, but it gives a true leather feel after 24 hours that I don't see in at least 2 other paint on tans that are currently on the market.

I purchase about 95% of all my tanning products from Knobloch's. Over the last 5 years Mark and Randy have helped me develop a working commercial tan that suits me and my customers.

I shave pickled hides for guys that tan at home with Tru Bond, Liqua Tan, McKenzie Tan, and Krowtann. It helps my home tannery guys and I make a little money for my time and efforts.

I don't mind speaking up for good products that come along. If it is a good tan, I will say so. Just keeping it real out here.

On the issue of flint dried African hides. I also hit upon a method of tanning these hides too. In fact, I have tanned hides that were previously rejected by other tanneries as "untannable". And I know I am not the only tanner to have pulled this off.

Just don't ask me how I did it, because that one came the hard way and I will keep my method to myself. I know there are others out there that feel the same way I do about matters such as these. Some things you just don't give away! ;)

9. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

David had alot of problems in his first couple of years, with his wife having cancer, and getting slammed with WAYYYYYY more skins than he could handle, etc, BUT I honestly believe him, when he told me he now has his stuf squared tight! He has a degree in business, and is one of the best shavers on the planet. I think Im a better shaver, but Im sure he would beg to differ!LOL

For decades, I watched David bust his a55 at a tannery, but he never lost his focus of getting his degree. Working full time at a tannery, then going to school at a Major University at night, until he achieved that goal. Weather you like him or not, you have to respect the Man for his intestinal fortitude and drive.

David and I have had some serious issues with each other in the past, but I am proud of both of us, for making those issues nothing but bad memories now.

The mark of a true man, is their abillity to find a way through past issues and problems, move on, and find some common ground where you can get along!

I feel confident in saying, Lone Star Tannery is going to be around for many years to come, despite who he buys tanning products from!LOL ::)

10. Glad I could help on the bears Alex. Bob, I'm going to be headed for Gloversville in a couple weeks, I'll stop by and drop off all my useless chemicals if you want them. In the mean time, you want to find out whether it's Carolina or South Texas that apparently doesn't know how to re-hydrate a skin, then we can buddy up to the other one so we can learn and don't feel threatened! I'd be little pissed if I was those two business.

To all who care, I have no problem with Aubrey's products, but I do have a problem when anybody who makes false statements about any other business or their product, and makes misleading claims to individuals they are trying to "help" to sell a product, or make themselves out to be a hero.

I will go shave some African capes now, I learned recently they shave just like a whitetail, so my job will be much easier.

11. Keith be sure to swing by on your way through. any idea what day yet?

We also have nothing against anyone's products and i never said they dont work. But stop for a moment and think:
    IF THERE WAS A BETTER FASTER CHEAPER WAY TO TURN OUT A SUPERIOR PRODUCT WOULDNT THE TANNERIES WHO PROCESS TENS OF THOUSDANDS OF SKINS A YEAR AND SPEND TONS OF MONEY ON CHEMICALS AND PAYROLL BE THE FIRST ONES TO SWITCH OVER AND START USEING THEM? of course they would so if they arnt doing that why?

our point was for someone to come on here and make statements that are blatently false as was pointed out by d price; and then try to pass it off as "helping" the consumer. when in fact the intention was self promotion and or to attack in a back handed way former employer's or other established businesses is wrong.

a few months ago Aubrey made a blatently false post on here about degreasers i privately pmed him and asked him to correct the post and expalined why it was false and misleading...instead he sent a message back parseing out the semantics of his post... it remided me of bill clinton trying to redefine the defintion of the word "is" and how its all how you take it in context and which defintion from the mariam's websters dictionary you use.

News flash Aubrey you do not know what every one else in this industry does or uses. You know what the practices and procedures of your former employers are, and thats not everything there is to know on the topics your discussing. Its WRONG for you to go on here and make blanket all encompassing statements about the entire tanning industry and practices when you have no knowledge of what others do and use. Its misleading deceptive and wrong.

I will say we believe David Patton is the best taxidermy shaver in the industry today hands down. Anyone who gets a chance to work with David when it comes to shaving will be learning from the best.

There are other shavers who are very good and still others who are above average and they may have some valuable information on SOME topics.

no one on taxinet is the second comming of the tanning messiah, there are many people who have more knowledge and experience in chemistry.

12. Then why is it that EVERY PERSON that buys TB very very pleased with the results? Just sayin. His product works extremely well. David even said it. What is wrong with self promotion. You do it every time you sell tanned skins here.

13. jbrown i didn't say self promotion was wrong or that the product didnt work. what i said was

"our point was for someone to come on here and make statements that are blatently false as was pointed out by d price; and then try to pass it off as "helping" the consumer. when in fact the intention was self promotion and or to attack in a back handed way former employer's or other established businesses is wrong."

this was refrence to Aubreys original post when he started this topic.

14. I haven't talked to Bob since the Surry show in May of this year, so I'm assuming when he says I pointed out something he is referring to this thread I started a few weeks ago. I'm gonna link it here for those of you who can't venture from the tanning section due to lack of knowledge in the other 90% of what goes on in taxidermy and may have missed it. If I'm wrong Bob I'm sorry. I will highlight in red what I think Bob is talking about. If thats not it, please correct me Bob. Now I did not name any names, so if thats what Bob picked up on my point in that post is proven.

And before I get a phone call with a threat to stomp my "Mf'ing ass if I don't remove a post" I didn't say Aubrey's name nor did I say he was the only one doing this. So don't call me up crying, saying Im picking on you or your buddy because me or my employer have it out for you. As you can see here there are others that can see through the bullchit also.

http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,272345.msg1886823.html#msg1886823

15. Hi D. i had seen that previous post and i agree with it 1000% but i was not refering to that. i was referring to the point you bought up earlier in this post when you cahlleneged Aubrey on his blatetly false statement

"Quote from: oldshaver on July 17, 2011, 12:56:39 AM
    All the most successful tannerys in the US, were started by a Taxidermist, that got tired on waiting on his or her skins to come back from the tannery. That is a known fact, that you will often find in print."

you replied back with this

"Was Renaldo Pepe and Charles Crocker taxidermist?"

I went on to list some other examples agreeing with you

16. Oh, sorry then. My mistake. You coming to the NC show in 2 weeks?

By the way as long as I don't get any more threats on-line or phone or however, I'm done with this. I think folks can carry on without me here.

If I post something in the future, and anyone thinks I'm talking about them, make sure you have your facts and thoughts straight before you respond in writing/typing or verbally. And please don't call me trying to justify your mistakes in life. I do work for living.

I'm done with all this Prom Queen drama bullchit.

Got to go. I have an article I have to get done for "Taxidermy Today" by the end of the week.

If I can truly help someone in any way that's not drama related, you know how to find me. If you don't, find someone here who can. I'm pretty easy to find.

17. Summertime and the heat is on. Hides are nearly finished up in the tannery and we all have more time to get online and do our "Taxinet reviews".

Ya'll know it is that time of year again where we all get to arguing with one another. I have been guilty of it. 100%. D Price, I apologize for stepping on your toes and offending you. I will see you in a couple weeks at the NC Show. Maybe then we can have a Diet Pepsi together and put this thing to rest so we can move forward?

Bob, what ails you? I never hear from you anymore, LOL!! Thanks for the compliment on my shaving abilities. It is the one thing I have done right, consistently, moving forward. Hope all is well with the family and the crew in Canisteo. I actually miss the trips up to NY. Maybe we can work on that?

Keith, I want to visit your tannery and work with you sometime. I have got to see that Capemaster used like it was designed to be used. Hope you are doing well.

Aubrey, thanks for the props. You and John Brown both know a lot more than most people do about my personal life and I appreciate your support.

Chemically speaking, I took college courses at the 100 and 200 level classes and I don't claim to be the "anything" when it comes to my expertise. However, I know what the Knobloch's telephone number is and the guys there on the other end of the line have spent countless hours and sent me many, many samples of chemical product to R&D with. I have tanned hundreds of deer hides that I have picked up from a deer processor in eastern NC that were destined for the landfill to accomplish these tests.
    I also know what it takes to keep the hair in the mount and not on the floor of the tannery. What else is there if I can do that? I am not making basketball leather or buckskin for gloves. I can produce a nicely finished dry tan that is cleaner and softer than some of the other tans out there that are so highly touted.

But, I cant do that in as much volume as tanneries with a good sized payroll can. I know my limits.

We all have to see each other at some time or another. I don't see why we can't be civil and professional when we come face to face or when we talk over the phone. I am changing the way I see things and I am going to stand aside and let this all play out.

And then I am going to get me a big tuna sub and munch!!

PS- D Price, I apologize again. See you in August at the McKenzie BBQ! I heard that Gridiron purchased all the Burlington BBQ vendors!! Just Kidding!

18. Rhino

Rhino Too many irons in the fire will put the fire out!

Dee is refering to me, when he talkes about somebody calling him up crying. I got choked up twice when I was on the phone with him the other night, after we traded a couple of PM's.

Once, was when I told him I finally did something good with my knowledge(TRUBOND), besides make other people rich. I used to think we were friends, and I failed to understand his attacking ME PERSONALLY. I was wrong I guess. I guess we were only friends, as long as I work with him?

The second time I got choked up in our phone conversation, was when I was telling DEE about my medical conditions, and possible future paralisis from the waste down. Youre not the only person I have gotten choked up with when talking about that. I guess Dee thinks its some how embarrassing, When one of the professors at UNC Chapel Hill Spine center tells you, " we cant operate on you, its too risky". Then tells you, we will have to wait another year or two, until you cant piss, or take a 5hit, Then the benefits will outweigh the risk of surgery.

The last words we had on the phone, we agreed to make peace. But it seems you dont want to play nice? So lets throw down buddy!

1. Look through Dee Prices profile: He repeatly starts chit(as he likes to say) with everyone. He had HIS A55 HANDED TO HIM, in that Mackenzie thread, then decided to ATTEMPT to save face with starting another arguement. Unless you had A BIG AX to grind, why would he have even brought up Gridiron Investments? I wonder who fed him that info??? ::) Maybe the same person that told me? Blatently attempting to dis-credit the BIG MAC, in my opinion, and GOT BODY SLAMMED!

2. Dee, you use the word studio, when refering to his place of business, which is around 1/3 of a 2-car garage, last time I saw it. Last time I asked Dee how many deer he took in last year, he told me around 15 or so, with a few other pieces. He references other peoples business skills, but has not been able to graduate from his garage in 25 years? Talk about mis-representation!? :eek:

So are you publically admitting yall have it "out for me"? You seem to have it out for McKenzie also, IN A BAD WAY? What did they ever do to you? Is there something else here we dont know about? ::)

Besides trying to dis-credit McKenzie, are you also trying to prevent me from earning a living? Dee, in my opinion, if you were to take away all your written tanning formulas, YOU WOULD BE LOST! We both know that! How many times did you come to me for advice, when you got yourself in a tanning jam? MANY! But now, I can pour piss out of a boot? I think you are a 2 faced little jerk, with an inferiority complex! You know where I live. Come on over, and lets go fishin and talk.

AND BOB. You really should keep your mouth CLOSED! You married into a tannery, THAT YOUR WIFE OWNS( ACCORDING TO HER), and suddenly you know ANYTHING ABOUT TANNING? You dont know chit, so sit down, and shut up!

One more thing. I never threatened to whip Dees A55. I dont think he was talking about me. Dee, did you ever thank David Patton for teaching you how to shave?
    Thanks for teaching me how to turn those ears, David! :D

Keep on buddy, we can get as nasty as you want, and guess what, I dont have to lie about nothin! I sick of it! LETS DANCE BITCH!

19. Aubrey are sure you want to go there?

20. Well, hmm, I am shaving bears this evening. I will have to check back later. Marking for entertainment purposes only.