1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What makes a PROFESSIONAL Taxidermy tanner?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Rhino, Jul 17, 2011.

1. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

m

2. [
    I can "Forgive" but I will never "FORGET".

3. David we have been busy, working harder and making less money lol, your welcome to come up and do some shaving anytime, in fact ann and i would love for you to come up we have been swamped with work and could use you on the knife this august and sept. ly is traveling to cambodia for the month of september to see his family who he hasnt seen since they fled the refugee camp and persecutioun 25 years ago. the baby is running all over the place and into everything. we wont be at the nc show this year hope everyone has fun there. ann and i have talked with tommy, chris and paige looks like they are comming to judge the ny show next spring. that would be a fun show if it happens.

4. Aubrey your wrong once again, see ann and i arn't married just happy.

Just to be clear for you oh king of the tanning gods, Ann is the owner and the president of the corporation i am the vice president, see thats what happens when you inherit something from your family it becomes yours.

Aubrey unlike you i dont claim to know everything about tanning. You continually make these broad sweeping statements like "ALL tanneris do this or All tanneries do that" thats just blatently not true and i and others like Keith will continue to tell you when your full of $hit! Sorry if you dont like it but suck it up buttercup your worng. you dont know what we do or how we do it, nor do you know how EVERY tannery does everything.

Our tannery has been here since the early 80's. before that Ann's father ran a tannery in Austrailia for 20 years, before that he ran a tannery in Europe.b He fled the comunist who wanted to re-educate him into the collective system since he was a business owner. He had a masters degree in chemistry and a 2nd masters degree in tanning he and his wife developed all of our formulas and we dont use the same ingredients that you can buy from a taxidermy supply catalog.

Ann whoi has her PHD and I didnt get together till 2005, I knew nothing about tanning but I do know about business. I read and learned and asked questions, bruce rittel is a personal friend of the family, anns mom has 2 chemical engineering degrees and she has many more years of tannery experince than you do imagine that. I studied the formulas we use we have even modified some fo the formulas based on my suggestions. Yeah i took chemmistry in college in fact my college roomate is now the head of research and development for DUPONT chemicals, he and i speak often about formulas when i have a tough question. Since Ann involved me in the tannery as the vice president of the corporation i have institued many changes, our tannery volume has doubled in both $ and our facilities capacity since we had to expand to meet the new demand.

Now back in the day when you were a shaver at Carolina Fur, you had nothing but good things to say about Carolina Fur and you were negative about home tanning and for that matter hostile towards other tanneris. And we had a few run ins on here when you criticized other tanneries calling them fly by nights or waiting for ups truck to show up so they could meet the payroll ect and i told you how wrong you were and called you for the bull you were spewing...i can dig up the posts if you want ... and you got hot and botherd then as well.

Then Rick and Marsha (the owners of Carolina fur) and myself became friendly, in fact Rick told me I was the only competitor of his that he had ever given a tour of his facility too, you remember the day I walked in and introduced myself to you Aubrey when you were in the fleshing room..remember? Well guess what Rick and I were doing as were walked around his place for the next 2 hours...talking about how he does things and why and then he was asking me how we do those things at our place and why we do them "DIFFERENTLY" and he was taking notes on our procedures see we were learning from each other Rick had some issues he was trying to figure out how to resolve them...some issues revolved around emplyees, payroll, waste water, customers who dont pay, ect ect ect the point was he wanted to know how we handle those issues because we were doing it "DIFFERENTLY"

Now ask yourself if were all doing it the same way as you claim, then why would he want to know how were doing it differently?

Aubrey when you and I spoke on the phone this year April as I recall, you were wanting Ann and I to hire you to manage a Sivko Fur Inc. wet tan facility in north carolina becuase you knew, as did everyone that our original deal with David had fallen through. You went on to explain how you had not worked at Carolina Fur since last sept or was it october i forget now? You told me your Aflack insurance had run out and you were having trouble makeing the truck payment because the "magic formula" hadnt really been selling since feb. You went on to tell me you were not gonna invest anymore money this year because you couldnt afford to sit on the product till next tanning season. And how you really needed to make some money right away, but due to your health issues you couldnt shave anymore.

You then expressed some negative comments about North Carolina Fur specifically the owners who employed you for 20 some years paying you very good money I might add I will not repeat those comments here, but after we hung up from conversation I told Ann not to hire you or invest in a wet tan facility with you as a manager, because if you would say those things about the people who had employed you all those years then there was no way I would want you as an employee.

Aubrey I knew then as did some others that you were and are a liability to any employer; you better hope that TRU-Bond or some one can and will overlook your serious shortfalls and pray they offer you a position maybe you can get paid to create topics on taxidermy.net that are really thinly veiled as criticisims towards those who have had enough of you issues. You certainly have alot of experince at that.

5. [​IMG]

6. If you will notice that D Price wrote the above quote back on February 26, 1974.

Good Sunday morning. I have a list of 8 ways to help people Forgive and Forget. This is not to single D Price out because many people feel the same way as D does following the old adage "to err is human, to forgive is divine". It is originally composed by a woman named Karen Sorensohn. Perhaps it can help, perhaps not, but I am offering up in a helpful manner.

1. Say a Prayer
    Whenever angry feelings about a person who's harmed you enter your mind, tell yourself: "We are all good, loving souls who occasionally get lost." Pray for this person to find their way back to a happier place

2. Focus on Gratitude
    Resist seeking happiness from the outside in. Instead, focus on gratitude exercises to bring happiness from the inside out. If you allow your self-image to be at the mercy of unpredictable events and unreliable people, your happiness will be forever on a chaotic roller coaster ride! Happiness must always be an inside joy! When you are tempted to focus on all the ways the world has done you wrong, instead count your blessings by making a list of the five aspects of your life that you appreciate. It is good practice to purposefully end your day this way to keep focused.

3. Look for the Lesson
    Many Buddhists consider huge difficulties to be a sign you're an old soul—the bigger your misfortunes, the closer you are to enlightenment. Whether you believe this or not, it's certainly cheery to reframe all your life's bad events as tests of your character. If you feel particularly tested right now, ask yourself what the heck you're being tested for! Patience? Compassion? Resilience? Forgiveness? Open-mindedness? What strengths must you develop further?

4. Maintain Perspective
    If you're going through a challenging time, remind yourself that this specific event is merely a part of your life—not your "whole" life. Consciously keep this "slice of life" perspective, and don't let the event overwhelm you. As the song goes, "The best is yet to come!"

5. Learn the Lesson
    Develop a "student not victim" mentality. Vow not only to disentangle yourself from emotionally harmful situations, but also to consciously avoid similar situations in the future.

6. Let Go of Resentment
    Keep in mind a fabulous Carrie Fisher quote: "Resentment is the poison you swallow hoping the other person will die." Recognize that when you resent someone, you are not only hurting yourself, you're also giving this person control of your emotions—and you don't want to give this person chit!

7. Stay Centered
    Recognize that when you respond with hate to hate, anger to anger, bitterness to bitterness, you are ironically becoming part of the problem. Choose to resist becoming like them and instead put in the conscious effort to remain a loving, soulful, happy person.

8. Get Revenge Positively
    Contemplating revenge? The best kind of revenge is living a successful, happy life. If you train yourself to consistently be more loving in thoughts and actions, your energy will attract more positive people and positive results. As Albert Einstein said, "You can't solve a problem by staying in the same energy in which it was created." To stay focused on highly positive thoughts, repeat this meditation ritual throughout the day: "Love, forgiveness, letting go, peace."

In the vein of the original question, "What makes a PROFESSIONAL tanner?", I think our struggles and our learned lessons go a long way toward that end along with all of the technical and educational experiences. Most importantly, I believe keeping in constant contact with the taxidermist and his industry is vital to being a professional taxidermy tanner. I have done this since 1982 and I can honestly say that I am making money tanning for taxidermists. It isn't much and I have sacrificed more than a lot of people have to get here, but here I am. I count myself fortunate to know people like Keith Daniels, Siv Farkas, Ann Farkas, Bob Brown, Joe and Eric, and Rick Morgan. I also know that this industry will survive without me in it, so I have to keep my perspective about where exactly I fit in the big picture.

Hope everyone is doing well moving forward.

And thanks D Price for all the cool smiley face emoticons! They are hilarious! I have gone through several threads to pick some up and I love the little guy digging a hole. My grandpa used to say, "Boy, when you find yourself in a hole with no way out, for God's sake, stop digging." Good advice from a decorated WWII Veteran who I lost in 2006. I will never forget the old codger! His name was David Durwood Harper. I called him Paw Paw.

7. Very good advice David. The first thing I thought of as I was reading this was, Is as you and Aubrey put it, "my employer". If you take this the wrong way I'm sorry. My opinion is that I have been used to get at him for the resentment and hatred you two hold toward him.

Now if y'all were to follow your 8 steps you posted above, and take all the negative energy toward him and turn it to positive energy toward your business ventures, I think both of you would be further ahead of the curve at this point.

You have never bothered me on here and I have never had a bad thing to say here about you, I even avoided your post to keep them from going negative. All this started when "my employer" wouldn't sell you some citric acid.

We all have bad things happen in our lives. I guess that is where the "That's Life" saying comes from. I went through cancer 11 years ago, your wife has been and still going through cancer herself from what I've heard. Aubrey has his back problems he is dealing with. Rick and Marsha's house burned to the ground a few years back. My dad just finished his last treatment for Pancreatic cancer, his CT scan showed negative for any cancer last week, but this is a fairly aggressive kind, so I don't know what his future holds. Hell no one knows what their future holds. I can go on and on.

Citric acid is fairly easy to get a hold of. I don't think Rick Morgan has a lock on the market. So why all of this drama, I don't know.

I think there is just a lot of resentment, hatred, jealousy and paranoia. Guys lets move on and let the past go. Have I ever not spoken to you or have I made a scene when I've seen you at a show? Now, I'm not gonna hang out with you and break bread with you, and that holds true with other folks not just you, but I have not disrespected you in anyway.

I think your 8 steps are excellent rules to live by.

But what the hell do I know, I'm just a "fat, dumbass , mediocre, taxidermist that works out of his garage at his house and has been sued and had his ass handed to him by Tom Powell for copying McKenzie forms that has an agenda of trying to get his blue ribbon winning deer in a supply catalog and to keep others from having blue ribbon winning deer in their catalog, while trying to hack into someones computer." That works 40 hours a week at CFD/HQ. Damn, no wonder I'm so tired at night. I'm busy as hell.

"If you're goin' through hell keep on going, Don't slow down if you're scared don't show it, You might get out before the devil even knows you're there".

Rodney Adkins

8. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

This just got reported. Now as a moderator, I dont know how the heck Id edit or moderate this to become a good thread with no rules broken. But I hope Ill be an effective moderator by simply doing nothing at all...and be smart enough to allow you all to SELF MODERATE this. Lessons learned? Tanning, like other industries, is competitive, and not one way is the only right way. Another lesson? It would be best to say less, and to think things through before saying them.

Now as a taxidermist and a forum member, which I also am, think about this. Almost every taxidermist mentioned has helped me HUGE over the years. Kieth Daniels is A-1 and as good as it gets. Bob and Ann and her Dad before that have done a ton of tanning right here in my state and have helped me out on some things too. Even Anthony Scorza who they mentioned has been a friend of mine since I was a boy. HQ, Knoblochs, Old Shaver, David Patton, Rick Morgan... all these tanning people and products and many more I didnt just mention have been a help to me. Allowing me to gain knowledge, serve a customer better, or bettering my own taxidermy product. These are all good names. I just wish you all werent at each others neck on this thread.

But I wont mod this, just suggest that cooler heads prevail, and no vulgarity or alternative words for it...(we all know what f**k means, guys) so no more of that. Remember this is in tanning, not current events. Please use good judgement if this thread continues...thanks.

9. Thanks D for taking time to respond. If this all really started over HQ not selling citric acid to me, I would understand why you think I am not living by the post I made. However, I will correct you on the origins of this misunderstanding, because this IS NOW a big misunderstanding.

I was calling HQ to send a new customer to Raleigh for him to purchase citric acid. I NEVER intended to purchase any for myself since my supplier is 1/2 the cost that HQ sells it for. I had, up until that point, been referring several people a month to the HQ supply house in Raleigh. Ya'll took the opportunity of my call to let me know I was on a "Do Not Sell To" list.

I am still willing to let bygones be bygones and start sending customers back to HQ again and drop the whole charade. Does this statement sound like hatred toward Rick?

I hope this clears things up. I also hope you understand that I enjoy comraderie more than confrontation. The last 2 months of this little affair has been over a misunderstanding. My whole attitude was based on the fact that I had been sending ya'll business and passing out ya'lls catalogs for 2 years and then out of nowhere I was told I was no longer welcome as a HQ customer, even though I only purchase deer forms and misc. items to mount on Gene's forms from HQ.

Why was I put on the "Do Not Sell To" list anyway? Did I say something or write something to make Rick and Jeremy mad at me? I spoke to them in the supplier rooms, I sent catalogs out to newbies, I sent business their way. What made the change in heart over there? I am mystified. I was offered no explanation. Imagine how you would feel if you had been blind sided like that. How would you have responded?

If you think I really hold hatred and resentment for Rick Morgan, you don't know me that well. I got over the whole affair long before the HQ thing happened. I just don't know where all that HQ thing came from. It was a total shocker to me. You just happened to be a casualty of the bigger picture since you do all the talking for HQ in these forums.

Now before you start up with the "We don't need your help" line of BS, keep in mind how McKenzie is cornering such a large share of the market. Every little bit helps. I was trying to do my part for Rick and Jeremy and I thought we were on good terms up until that fateful day 2 months ago. Since then, I have been fired up over it, but I have cooled down.

Does this help to diffuse some of the misunderstandings? Does it help to undrstand where I am coming from? I hope you know now that it didn't "all start because HQ wouldn't sell citric acid to me". That is totally not what this whole thing was/is about. That would be so infantile if it was, and it isn't. That is not how I operate at all.

By the way D, I get up at 3 am, work until 8 am unloading trucks for Lowe's Hardware Store, then I am in the tannery from 8:30 am until 7 pm tanning full time. I pull Saturdays and Sundays in the tannery and then do it all over again week in and week out. No vacations, no time off. I spend very little time in the forums as proven by my statistics. I have spent more time inthe last 72 hours here than I have all summer. I work 16 hour days and weekends I work about 6 hour days. I am pulling 92 hours a week down. You say you are pulling 40 hours a week, but is that including your time in your taxidermy studio? I noticed that you have posted several comments about how much you have to work for a living. After today, it might be another week or two before I get in here again.

Take care!

10. You will have to talk to Rick about the "do not sell to" deal. I have nothing to do with that.

And no, that does not include my taxidermy, the 40 hours is at CFD/HQ. I come home and work in my "garage" until 10pm or later and on weekends. I've actually spent way to much time on here this weekend with this thread. You will rarely see me on here before 10pm during the week, if you do, I am checking my messages from my phone, I don't know if that shows me as logged in or not.

I had heard you were working at Lowe's and were very busy. That's good, you are doing what it takes to achieve the American Dream. I respect you for that, Lord knows their are way to many living off the system and mooching off the working people busting their a$$es to keep this country rolling, sitting around waiting for a hand out.

11. Trotax

Trotax Member

Great post Hudson.

12. rodlrock

rodlrock Mold Maker HQ Taxidermy Supply.

Wow what a good read!

13. Good post David, hope things are going well, and you're not cooking in the heat!

14. Steve Rotramel

Steve Rotramel We got some radical rebels in this county!

Quote from Hudson:

"What I see is the problem is Taxinet has become a DAMN FLEA MARKET. Many members through the years have taken up a "self promotion campaign" geared towards shameless self marketing. "Look at me I skinned a Moose", "Look I fixed a deer antler", "Look I made new tanning tank"....etc. All this in a attempt to convince the new members that they are the greatest thing to their respective art since canned beer. Then when they produce a product or service all the numbnuts think it must be legit because Joe Blow says it is. Seeing how Joe Blow has been tooting his own horn for the last year IT HAS TO BE GREAT.

I have no issue with somebody wanting to do more...I DO have a problem with using a free site to do it. Some will say "it doesn`t break forum rules so why do you care"....well it may not break the rules but it lacks integrity and charactor. What would this site look like if EVERYONE put up a banner and used it for free advertising???"

Well, I understand where you're coming from, and I partially agree with you. But you gotta remember, we're taxidermists and tanners too. We have all the same issues and challenges that everybody else has.

I feel great when somebody buys one of my machines, because I know that it solves more problems than I advertise, and it works better than I advertise, and it benefits the purchaser more than I advertise. A lot of their issues and problems go away. If they can hold their nose a little with my sometimes less than stellar customer service, THEIR LIVES ARE BENEFITTED BY MY PRODUCT.

I know that, so I want them to know that. So call today! 877-345-6307 to catch the tail of our summer sale!

D. Price, forgiving is great, but forgetting is the best part. You'll be a lot happier!

Attached Files:

15. Youve gone digital Steve , my drumb must be out dated already and Ive only had it for 7 months LOL!!

16. Steve Rotramel

Steve Rotramel We got some radical rebels in this county!

All part of my evil plan - you'll have to buy a whole new machine to get that clock!

17. cedarhill

cedarhill Member

I started tanning my own capes a couple years ago because the cost of getting them done and the cost of shipping was getting too high. I do buy and use the same chemicals the big tanneries use and have asked them. Its just a process of trial and error and I wouldnt start on a customers capes but once you do a few you will have a better understanding. I am now tanning a couple hundred buffalo hides and even more than that in deer hides. Shaving takes practice but you know I can get a 40 square foot buffalo tanned for under 100 dollars beats getting it sent out for 600 plus the shipping htere and back and would encourage everyone to try and do it themselves leaves more profit in your pocket not the tanneries

18. I tan my own deer capes as well. But the thought of doing 200 buffalo makes my shoulders and back hurt.

Bruce

19. paulbroeder

paulbroeder New Member

Well, I hate to knock you off your soap box, but------- I am one of those taxidermists, but I spent the money and went to High Desert Tannery inLa Pine Oregon and learned the "art" of tanning the way it should be done!!! WOW!! What a difference in the quality of tan. It was time and money well spent. If you want a high quality wet or dry tan, look me up.

Thanks

Paul Broeder
    337-825-9423

20. Rush

Rush New Member

How long did it take you to learn the "art" of tanning? Ive been running my tannery for the better part of eight years "Mint City tanning" and still am humbled by the "art" of tanning. I wish I knew about this school eight years ago, it might of saved me stitches from a round knife, some hair,not getting involved with a crazy girlfriend, alot of sweat, some beer money, alot of laughs,and some things I cant mention here, but truth be known, it was a very good four years, thanks Keith for teaching me the "art" of tanning.