1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First coyote looking for an opinion

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by miker, Jul 17, 2011.

1. miker

miker Member

OHIO
    Just looking to find out what I did wrong let me have it. I think it looks like the neighbors dog :)
    He is still wet
    Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Try abit more aggressive
    [​IMG]

Which do you like better?

2. Mink

Mink New Member

What kind of expression are you trying to give it? (Agressive? Startled? Relaxed? Panting?) Right now I can't quite tell. Try looking for reference photos of the expression you are trying to create.

As it is now, he kind of has relaxed eyes but agressive teeth (too much of the top teeth showing) but if you are trying to get an agressive look, leave the teeth as they are, narrow the eyes a little bit and lay the ears back.

Or, if you are going for a relaxed appearance, carve out the top of the mouth some more so the jawset fits further up inside. Panting or calm open-mouthed animals show little to no top teeth.

Once you adjust the expression you'll have a real nice looking mount! Your grooming job and hair patterns look good. Hope this helps!

3. little fred

little fred R.I.P all my fallen taxidermy brother's

as of now i see your left ear and right eye needs adjusted...

and he or she needs to be fluffed up...and use refreance.not a bad start (look at your last photo you will see it.)

freddy

4. Personally, I like the ears up pic better than the ears back pic - I agree with the need for good reference pics. It looks like you're trying to achieve 2 different looks. I think he looks "poochy" because of the eye expression and the lack of an actual snarl. I always think of an open moth pose as being in action - something needs to be happening visually. Just an open mouth looks like a panting or barking dog. With that being said - he's a good looking coyote...just needs some tweaking to capture the expression you want.

5. OutbackJack

OutbackJack Member

PA
    Personally, my opinion. your ear liners are way to big and it appears to be tight (form) around the ear area. Making it harder for you to get the fluff puffed out. your eyes look good but need more tweaking like everyone mentioned. The expression is mixed. Also your nose is off. If you are using an artifical nose you are doing it wrong, as it is set wrong. You can also taxi the skin at the back of the head forward to help fluff it up. You can Pm me and I can give you some imput on it.

Also on your nose, where the cleft is on the nose (line that comes down between the nostrils) should be hair to hair. I love mounting canines and would like to help you out more but I gotta go. Hopefully this helps you out some.

6. miker

miker Member

OHIO
    Thanks everbody for the input. Everthing is getting stiff but I put a wet towel on the nose so I can fix the cleft.

7. the god mother

the god mother New Member

here
    look at this/

Attached Files:

8. The first pic looks like he got his tail slammed in the car door. ;D I'm not knocking you. Looks good.

9. Short taxi

Short taxi Member

BC
    That's kinda funny, my 5 year old thought he looked like he got "kicked in the butt". The eyes look a little pained, or sad. If you don't mind my asking, what's the yellow stuff around the nose? Is it maybe an artifical nose? I've never worked with them before, I was thinkin maybe it's some sort of glue. I dunno what I'm talking about. The lips and mouth look pretty good. That's where I had trouble with my first dog, so good on ya!

10. eliscull

eliscull Nov. 2011

NJ
    the first pic...looks like maybe you need to build up a little more above the eyes/lids. give it a look that isn't so surprised looking by closing the lids some and pulling the outside corner of the eyes back some more. look how the pic from "the god mother" is a little more pointer in the outside corner and has a fuller eyebrow. idk I'm just thinking out loud. sorry

11. RBlack

RBlack Member

Be sure to post some pics after he's done.

12. I agree that the ears are too big. It makes it look like a german shepard dog. the ears need to be back a little farther. The eyes look great.

13. Bangle

Bangle New Member

I like this. :) The cape has a gorgeous pattern to it. I like the ears in the first picture, but the eyes do seem too "startled" to match that ear position. Pics when you get him finished please!