1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Squirells

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by madtrapper22, Jul 19, 2011.

1. madtrapper22

madtrapper22 New Member

Does anybody out there other than me love to mount squirrels.i think they are funn!Anybody else

2. Yes it is my true love I would rather mount a squirrel than any thing else buy at 68 there ant much else left Kotaclem

3. snowhare

snowhare New Member

I HATE UM :eek: :eek:

4. madtrapper22

madtrapper22 New Member

why snowhare

5. snowhare

snowhare New Member

LOL , YOU DONT SEEM TO NO , I COLECT UM , AND I HATE UM CAUSE I HAVE TO MOUNT ALMOOST A 100 DIFFERENT ONES OK
    SNOW

6. madtrapper22

madtrapper22 New Member

If someone wanted to give me a hundred squirrels id take em in a heartbeat ;D

7. I am fixin to find out I have a freezer full to mount

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Liking to mount them and mounting them well are two different things.

9. well put gorge I like to do them but am not worth a dam at it I am not like some of the singers on Idel no good but think thay are great.

10. snowhare

snowhare New Member

WHAT IF YOU DO UM BOTH GEORGY

11. George

Snowy, when you do the last, the first isn't even considered. It shows in the last.

12. Icarus

Icarus Something Witty

I got a couple of last years fall and winter roadkills in the the freezer, two or three older males and the rest young males. Going to be mounting them to get the experience before tackling the feared First Deer Mount :D Looking forward to doing them, just simple climbing poses and maybe a sitting or crouched posed on my nicest. I'm pretty nervous about working with those tiny little hands they have.

George is right-liking to mount and mounting them well are two vastly different things. Reference is everything, and live reference is invaluable.

Thankfully, we have a booming squirrel population in the neighborhood and they certainly don't mind being watched ;D

13. I agree

14. krusher167

krusher167 New Member

dont worry so much bout the paws, have fun splitting those eyes, nose, and lips... ;)

15. George

Uhh, krusher, I hate to break this to you,but good taxidermy work isn't "pick and choose". Those paws need the same attention that the nose, eyes and lips do. Nothing makes a squirrel look dumber than a shriveled up set of paws showing the toe bones. ALL that meat needs to come out and be clayed. Check my tutorial under lifesized animals on "mounted a tube skinned animal".

16. krusher167

krusher167 New Member

george, i wasnt saying that they shouldnt be done, im just saying that i found that fleshing the facial area to be more tedious than doing the paws IMO.... also i did check ur tutorial, im fixin to try it come fall when i can get some good critters in the freezer

17. madtrapper22

madtrapper22 New Member

Why dosent everyone start posting pics of squirrels theve done in any pose.Its always nice to see good mounts

18. Icarus

Icarus Something Witty

Skinned out my first squirrel paws today. That was tediously fun, got all the way up to the first finger joint...off to tutorials to see if I have to skin even further.

Fleshing is, surprisingly enough, not as bad as I thought it would be. Practiced on a back hide, put two half inch holes when my mind wandered and the point caught. It also looks like hell with the uneven strokes....but if I can flesh and shave this thing, I can flesh and shave anything :D

19. George

Anna, why would you even attempt to "shave" a squirrel. Tree rats have thin enough skin without needing to be shaved. Shaving is for thick skinned animals. Scraping or wire wheeling these critters is more than sufficient.

20. timwilly

timwilly I lost my agenda !!!

I think I put more time into a squirrel mount than I do on a deer mount. George is right, wire wheel and a spoon for scraping ( I have a spoon slightly edged on one side with grinder, it works great for scraping. ) is the way to go.

I can't count how many times I've pulled a toe off on a squirrels foot, if there's a special trick to it, I've not learned it yet.

I had a big old PA fox squirrel on the wall once that I was pretty proud of, I spent a lot of time on it and had it looking like I thought a squirrel should look. It hung beside a descent sized buck. The comments would be : Cute squirrel. seconds later: Man, look at the size of that buck........I think that squirrel was only appreciated by me.