1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skull whitening - Hydrogen Peroxide

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by rhites, Jul 19, 2011.

1. rhites

rhites New Member

Hi all,

I have been reading a lot of post about Hydrogen Peroxide, but now I'm a little confused on what percentage I should be using to get the whitest skulls vs. what is safest to use.
    Can you all provide some advice as to what strength you would recommend as well as the best way to apply it (i.e. paste, dip, soak,...). Or maybe you can recommend a better chemical to use for whitening?
    I would just like to know all my options.

Thank you.

2. Use the search bar and read and read and read and read!

3. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

The strongest I use is the pool variety which is 27%. I don't have any dreams of using anything stronger. With peroxide, more is not better. As it increases in strength, so doesn't it's danger. Concentrated Hydrogen Peroxide has also been used as rocket fuel.

At all times, if I can, I submerge a skull in peroxide and soak it. This not only whitens all parts of the skull but also dissolves out a lot of small bits that may have been missed to cause odor. It also fairly well frees the skull of any bacteria. 3% will pretty much work as well as 27% but it will take a longer time to soak and the lower percentage loses strength a lot faster. If I can not soak, I may use the paste way. You do not "dip" peroxide. It has to remain in contact with the bone long enough to work. At the very least, several hours.

There is no better chemical for whitening. Safety is relevant to the care of the user. 27% will instantly and permanently blind you if you splash it in your eyes. 12% from the hair care folks might well do the same. Both will send you running for water if you get it on you and it will also eat holes in cotton or silk clothes.

4. lizardguts

lizardguts skull collector

I only use the 3% because I'm rather clumsy and accident prone, but it only takes around a couple days soak to get a really nice white. Not something a busy skull business would want to use, but for the casual collector or hobby seller it works really nice

5. I may have to disput that, I use BO (27%) a lot but also use 3%, 1 gal of 3% costs $4 from Sam's. I have two 5 gal buckets full all the time for dispensing into containers. I use it for 4 day soaks on antlerless skulls and then when its weak, I use it to degrease antlerless skulls. 3% has its uses

6. The strongest I use (and the only one I can get) is 12% :/

It's not much but it does the trick for me just fine. :)

7. 35% and a 24 hour soak, sometimes several. As already stated above - "old" used up peroxide is used in degreasing or dumped into a large tank and thinned with water for bison, longhorns, etc...sometimes they'll sit for a week in it, of course it is probably around 2-5% at that time.

8. skullclnr

skullclnr Active Member

Giddy up same here.

9. AH7

AH7 New Member

Honestly, if this isn't something that you want to do professionally, the 3% walmart or drugstore variety will work fine. The strong stuff works faster, but it is also easier to screw up (either you skull or your skin!), and the 3% for days or even a week will yield professional results.

10. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

ditto

11. AngryBrodhead

AngryBrodhead New Member

I am new to this so forgive the question. Will the 3% peroxide change The color on the antlers if left in for a week to 10 days?

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors.

12. 5 days is plenty for the bone, and it will turn the antlers as white as the bone is

13. Rob

Rob Member

When using Hydrogen Peroxide do you all dilute it 50% with water or use it full strength ?

14. Full strength, shorter soak time.