1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

first ever pie-bald blackbird/grackle cross for me~

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by RDA, Jul 19, 2011.

1. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

just a quick shot or two just after mounting, pre groom yadda blappet blah.. ;) A first for me, this speciman..

even the bill has white cream colored blotches!!

2. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

YEAAAHHHHHH i remembered my login after like 100 attempts, it just came to me LOL it looks good. they are chompin to get it back and into the museum, cant wait to deliver it, i love the head on it, i think that bird was beautiful, and i knew it wasnt something i was gonna tackle.

3. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

That is cool looking Ron.

4. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

Glad ya like it Russ! I stayed with a more typical pose to show off the oddity... ;) and thanks B!

5. Russ of V.O.W.T

you going to perch it on a limb or whats your idea for habitat? i think keeping it simple and basic is the best way to showcase the rarity of the bird, but thats just my thinking

6. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

yup a simple walking pose is it- as it is dry :D ;) just got to finish the legs and bill and it will be off to "MO land"....

7. Where I Missouri is it going I live close to Cassville Mo

8. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

just glue down a bunch of bird seed and pose it on that ,,they flock to the feeders here!!

9. robolson

robolson www.frozeninflight.com

Nice mount! I love grackles.

10. So grackles ARE legal to keep? ???

Someone convinced me a while back they weren't and I threw a nice one away. . . :(

11. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

if you READ the thread,,,you find that this bird is for the the STATE of MO, at a wildlife center museum....Without a permit, they are illegal to posess... ;)

12. Ahh! I was about to kick myself for throwing that one i had away, but I guess not now!
    Thanks!

13. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Nice Ron! That's a sweet lookin boid.

14. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I don't see any signs of hybridization, unless maybe it's something that doesn't show in the photo. 'Just looks like a grackle to me, aside from the color.
    'Nice specimen, though. When I lived in Texas I saw several great-tailed grackles that had white splotches, and one that had almost a solid white tail, but I could never get close to them.
    The ordinary ones were stupidly easy to approach but those special ones were really paranoid.

15. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

Nancy ,,,size, bill lentgh ,skull size and shape,, tail length and shape and other factors, like the eye colors were the conclusions by the museum as well as myself...

16. Russ of V.O.W.T

The states bird guys looked this bird over head to toe and found MANY differences , they actually found 2 birds it had "similarities" with and came to the conclusion that it was indeed a cross. during the time this was being done i also sent many photos to ron and a few others and without them talking with anyone here they came to the exact same conclusion, sorry if you cant see it in the pictures, Ron was trying to share photos of a rarity , not start a debate on what it was, the states bird guys have already designated what it is, and for in this state, it is indeed RARE. ;)

thank you pacwest, its a rare treasure for sure that will look great in the state parks nature center/museum here.

17. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

Tanx guys, the most glaring diff of this speciman was the skull size and width, as grackles have a fairly bulbous skull- quite wide behind the orbits, while the brewers is a much more slimlined look This birds skull was larger than average brewers but had the exact same shape, and differed from the grackle...This was a male bird and a 10" over all length. Which puts it smack in the middle of grackle and brewers lengths. Research was done on this little guy, it wasnt just an edumacated guess.

its a BRACKLE..... :D ;)

18. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I agree. That's the reason I don't bother posting pics on here any more. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

19. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

ill have ya know i AM an EXPERT! At nose pickin and ass scratchin...You can tell by the order i listed those!!! ;) :D

20. PacWest

PacWest Active Member

When you nose pick, do you pick it wet and then chase it as it dries? ;D